Caroline Flack RIP

Man of Honour
Id didn't know her but it's always sad to see someone, for reasons that many of us can't comprehend or understand, felt they need to take their own life.

As much as media can be used ignite fame and fortune, it can equally outstrip someone just as fast. People entering into the public eye need to be made fully aware of the consequences and be guided how to deal with it. Continued support is equally important because the public thirst for celebrity gossips, whether through social media, TV or the tabloids are always going to be quenched.

Caporegime
I actually agree with you Dolph, if the shoe was on the other foot there is no way the narrative would be the same.

Agreed. The amount of posts i have seen on FB and Twitter from women who have been the first the **** off and condemn a bloke for abusing one of their reality tv stars but are now turning on the media and ignoring that she was an abuser.

Caporegime
I honestly have no idea how Facebook is still a thing, you'd think that fad would have passed by now. Twitter is such a hateful cesspit, the sooner is crumbles the better the world will be. As a result of these two platforms, i believe like you that society has become so liberal and soft that people simply cannot cope with the harsh realities of life anymore, when they step out of university it's not the cuddly safe-space unicorn rainbow world that they've gotten used to in uni/online

These forums are still going after 20 years though?

Associate
Agreed. The amount of posts i have seen on FB and Twitter from women who have been the first the **** off and condemn a bloke for abusing one of their reality tv stars but are now turning on the media and ignoring that she was an abuser.
I've seen the same thing from people calling for all manner of horrific things to happen to the likes of Piers Morgan, Tommy Robinson, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, etc, yet jump on this Flack bandwagon without realising their own hypocrisy.

Funny how they don't give a toss about a person's well-being and mental health when that public figure isn't on a crappy 'reality' show....

Capodecina
Soldato
I've seen the same thing from people calling for all manner of horrific things to happen to the likes of Piers Morgan, Tommy Robinson, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, etc, yet jump on this Flack bandwagon without realising their own hypocrisy.

Funny how they don't give a toss about a person's well-being and mental health when that public figure isn't on a crappy 'reality' show....
I entirely agree, we should all be very concerned about the mental health of Piers Morgan, Tommy Robinson, Donald Trump and Boris Johnson - without exception, they need to be removed from the public gaze and given treatment for their many serious "issues" ;)

Soldato
I wonder how many ex servicemen killed themselves last year without any outrage from bird brains on twitter, them having not hit their partner with a lamp

Commissario
I entirely agree, we should all be very concerned about the mental health of Piers Morgan, Tommy Robinson, Donald Trump and Boris Johnson - without exception, they need to be removed from the public gaze and given treatment for their many serious "issues" ;)
You jest, but it's a fair comment tbh.

Soldato
I don't think the wider public have fully understood social media. That the person on the telly is a real person.

Before we had social media there was an emotional distance between us, the audience, and them, the tv stars. Yes there might be a grumble or two conversations in the school yard or work place. But if anyone actually did or said something to them directly it would be seen as weird. Yet these days people are typing all kinds of rubbish to tv people and forget they are real people to, many times actors are getting verbally abused for playing a role on tv programmes!

For those that have been around the Internet for 20+ years you know what is coming, a version of Real ID. Where everyone will have a personal tracable account. So anything you type online you'll have to defend yourself in reality if a complaint is made against you. I guess we're seeing an early version of that with the police visiting peoples houses. The public today are helping make the case for it.

Permabanned
I honestly have no idea how Facebook is still a thing, you'd think that fad would have passed by now. Twitter is such a hateful cesspit, the sooner is crumbles the better the world will be. As a result of these two platforms, i believe like you that society has become so liberal and soft that people simply cannot cope with the harsh realities of life anymore, when they step out of university it's not the cuddly safe-space unicorn rainbow world that they've gotten used to in uni/online

Social media has enabled people like Trump and Brexit to happen due to its spreading of fake news/lies though, so not all bad eh?

Soldato
i believe like you that society has become so liberal and soft that people simply cannot cope with the harsh realities of life anymore, when they step out of university it's not the cuddly safe-space unicorn rainbow world that they've gotten used to in uni/online

And you will find this same sentiment being voiced by every older generation throughout human history, that the following generations are too soft, too lazy, too liberal and going to cause the downfall of society! So don't worry, it's just you getting old ;)

Here's some from Ancient Greece

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".
(Hesiod, 8th century BC)

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."
(From a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274)

Here's one of my favourites from France, 1771

2. "Self-Admiring, Emaciated Fribbles"
In Paris Fashion: A Cultural History, Valerie Steele published a letter sent to Town and Country magazine in November 1771 by a reader who wanted to get something off of his chest:

Whither are the manly vigor and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article...plaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything

:D

Back
Top Bottom