• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
The RTX 2070 had the same launch price as the GTX 1080, and has somewhere around 10-15% better performance before you look at raytracing.
The boost at the same pricepoint was definitely not as much as previous generations, and the prices do seem to have got higher, but the performance per dollar also seems to have gone up.

Also to get that extra 10 to 15% performance, power consumption has also gone up even more so on the Super cards and when you look at the overclock-ability of the super based cards they are already pushed to limit just so Nvidia had something to show in performance for the refresh.

Associate
Also to get that extra 10 to 15% performance, power consumption has also gone up even more so on the Super cards and when you look at the overclock-ability of the super based cards they are already pushed to limit just so Nvidia had something to show in performance for the refresh.

That was before the supers. The supers were better value, the 2070S launched at $499 and beats the 1080 even more comfortably, the 1080 launched at $599. The idea that there was no price/performance gain this gen is just wrong. *And* then there was RTX on top.

Soldato
The idea that there was no price/performance gain this gen is just wrong. *And* then there was RTX on top.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...ack-review-overclocking-fps-temperature-noise
Conclusion: Is the RTX 2070 Worth It?
The trouble is that we’re looking at a 30% performance increase over the GTX 1070 for a 30% price increase. While this might sound like a fair trade on paper, the reality is that we already had this option. It’s functionally a re-release of the GTX 1080, except you can think of it as coming with RTX capabilities for “free.” The difference being, of course, that we simply can’t use those RTX functions just yet, and we can’t recommend buying a promise

Soldato
They aint screwing us over though, as we're happy with the prices.

If we wern't, we wouldn't buy.

So you are happy to pay £450-500 for Nvidia's 5th tier gpu being that they have RTX titan/2080ti/2080s/2080 all above the 2070s. Proper bargain man, i get we have to fork out when an upgrade is needed but happy is not the word i would use for that price performance.

Associate
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwrevie...ack-review-overclocking-fps-temperature-noise
The trouble is that we’re looking at a 30% performance increase over the GTX 1070 for a 30% price increase. While this might sound like a fair trade on paper, the reality is that we already had this option. It’s functionally a re-release of the GTX 1080, except you can think of it as coming with RTX capabilities for “free.” The difference being, of course, that we simply can’t use those RTX functions just yet, and we can’t recommend buying a promise

Except the 2070 turned out to be ahead of the 1080 by 5-10%, and the 2070S which launched at $100 less is faster still. Plus we know RTX is being used now.

Say what you like about the prices being crazy, but it's just not true there was no gain at the same price point, particularly when you look at the Supers.

And I don't get what the 'tier' matters here either. Oh no, better ones exist for more money!

Soldato
Except the 2070 turned out to be ahead of the 1080 by 5-10%, and the 2070S which launched at $100 less is faster still. Plus we know RTX is being used now.

Say what you like about the prices being crazy, but it's just not true there was no gain at the same price point, particularly when you look at the Supers.

And I don't get what the 'tier' matters here either. Oh no, better ones exist for more money!
Did you bother to look at the benchmarks? They didn't pull those percentages out of their @$$. They benchmarked the cards.

I provided the link. There are benchmarks there that back up what they said.

Soldato
i cant wait to see how they charge for the 3000 series my self gonna lmao if the are over 2000 lol..
Of course. It's a hobby and people spend lots of money on hobbies because it makes them happy :D

I can give you plenty of examples where "value for money" is not a consideration when it comes to hobbies :)

bru

bru

Soldato

I think that summary is fair.

Well yes it was back in October 2018 when the article was written, but things have moved on somewhat since then.

Back
Top Bottom