• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
It's the unreliable, undisclosed and zero credibility information that appears to grab the headlines - whereas actually disclosed developers who wax lyrical and the press who have actually spoken to Cerny who go large ignored.

You can’t be surprised by this after seeing what happened with Brexit and now the rubbish people believe/share about COVID-19?

Associate
Looks like the PS5 could be in trouble

report from undisclosed first party developer is that Sony screwed up - they totally underestimated what Microsoft would do and to catch up they've had to overclock their console and push more speed out of the SSD than they can actually handle. The PS5 is a small box that now has major heat and overheating issues and Sony has no time to redesign it - Sony engineers are scrambling to build a redesigned chassis to launch in 1 or 2 years to fix the overheating problems that launch models will experience

https://mobile.twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/1245741486689398785/photo/1
That would have made more sense if posted on 1st April......does that look like a strategy Mark Cerny would adopt? Plan the PS5 for a number of years only to panic at the final phase after seeing xbsx and pump up the clocks to unstable levels? come on man

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That would have made more sense if posted on 1st April......does that look like a strategy Mark Cerny would adopt? Plan the PS5 for a number of years only to panic at the final phase after seeing xbsx and pump up the clocks to unstable levels? come on man
Unlikely I agree. I did not believe it myself but will still wait for reviews.

Soldato
It is just such testament to Sony that so much mis-information and quite frankly crap about the PS5 is appearing online.
Sony are currently the number one console company and everything from reputable sources would indicate that this is going to go on into the next generation.

Absolutely ROFL at that "undisclosed person" via that Twitter post. There was absolutely nothing in the post that rings true from someone with zero credibility.
Read very much as an Xbox fanboy attempting to poor more petrol on the flames his fellow fanboys have been spouting for a little while.

It's the unreliable, undisclosed and zero credibility information that appears to grab the headlines - whereas actually disclosed developers who wax lyrical and the press who have actually spoken to Cerny who go large ignored.
And where does it usually boil down to - More TF's over and over again.
In the same way that every online discussion will eventually lead to someone being compared to Hitler, every online console argument becomes "MoRe tF's".
Always good to see some blind faith in a brand despite all the evidence to the contrary... Sony PR dept would be proud... :D

It does feel like Sony have slipped up this time after absolutely romping the last generation, we'll see but I can't imagine having more predictable power at their disposal is going to be a bad thing for devs. Given brand loyalty and the user base Sony have built with PS I'm sure sales numbers will not be a disaster, they def seem to have missed a step this time though. <shrug>

Last edited:
Soldato
Always good to see some blind faith in a brand despite all the evidence to the contrary... Sony PR dept would be proud... :D

It does feel like Sony have slipped up this time after absolutely romping the last generation, we'll see but I can't imagine having more predictable power at their disposal is going to be a bad thing for devs <shrug>
But they romped this gen because of the exclusives and the cheaper console, and they'll do the exact same thing again with PS5.

Soldato
But they romped this gen because of the exclusives and the cheaper console, and they'll do the exact same thing again with PS5.
there was a huge thing made at the release of last(current Gen) how PS4 was more powerful and "was for the gamers" although of course price and exclusives help. MS could easily screw this up with console pricing though it has to be said. We'll see if they learned from the mistakes they made last time on price the same as they seem to have learned on power. PS5 will sell squillions in any case.

Soldato
there was a huge thing made at the release of last(current Gen) how PS4 was more powerful and "was for the gamers" although of course price and exclusives help. MS could easily screw this up with console pricing though it has to be said. We'll see if they learned from the mistakes they made last time on price the same as they seem to have learned on power. PS5 will sell squillions in any case.
They learned on power with the One X but it made no difference in the grand scale of things.

Millions of gamers have now invested in PS on the back of their exclusives and are tied to, they will continue to do so with PS5 regardless of Series X power advantage, me included.

The Microsoft console really will be for the enthusiast more than the casual and 'bought for' gamer, and looking at the raw specs of the Series X and regardless of what they have learned on price, they just will not be able to compete on that unless they sell it at a major loss rather than just a loss.

PS5 will sell at evens or a loss, Series X will have to sell at a HUGE loss to compete, the specs clearly show that, but to what end? They then have to convince the masses to change/move platform from something they have invested in for 6 years...

Soldato
They learned on power with the One X but it made no difference in the grand scale of things.

Millions of gamers have now invested in PS on the back of their exclusives and are tied to, they will continue to do so with PS5 regardless of Series X power advantage, me included.

The Microsoft console really will be for the enthusiast more than the casual and 'bought for' gamer, and looking at the raw specs of the Series X and regardless of what they have learned on price, they just will not be able to compete on that unless they sell it at a major loss rather than just a loss.

PS5 will sell at evens or a loss, Series X will have to sell at a HUGE loss to compete, the specs clearly show that, but to what end? They then have to convince the masses to change/move platform from something they have invested in for 6 years...

yep that's a good point. And because of those reasons it wouldn't matter if the Xbox was 20 teraflops it's is still only going sell half the number of units the PS5 will. That's why Microsoft has been pushing gamepass so hard it needs alternative forms to gather more revenue from a smaller customer base so it can continue to conpete.

I'm actually starting to get a bit tired at all this Multiplatform competing. Why can't everyone just be like Nintendo and make unique products that focus on games and mechanics, I'd much rather see everyone has a long list of exclusives and each machine be unique and diverse in its style and features

Soldato
PS4 - "For the Gamers.."

PS5 - " For the Fanboys..." ;)

... I'm still buying it over the Xbox even if the on paper specs are worse for the exclusives and VR support :D

Soldato
Well TF wise it's "less powerful" but like I said in another post a few pages back.. I think it'll be a lot closer than pure power suggests.

Also like mentioned I have a lot invested in PS4 with all my digital games as will others who won't want to lose it all and i've been Playstation since the 1st.

Soldato

It does feel like Sony have slipped up this time after absolutely romping the last generation, we'll see but I can't imagine having more predictable power at their disposal is going to be a bad thing for devs. Given brand loyalty and the user base Sony have built with PS I'm sure sales numbers will not be a disaster, they def seem to have missed a step this time though. <shrug>

No, it's not blind loyalty - where are you getting that idea from??
There isn't a single credible source yet that hasn't said the PS5 is a true leap forward and will easily compete with the raw tF power specifications from Microsoft.
If you'd like to show me some of this evidence to the contrary, however that evidence:

Must not be from an unknown twitter account with less than 50 followers
A Microsoft Site
A known Microsoft supporter
Reddit Xboxseriesx

I think that just about covers the origin of every "source" that says Sony is slipping up this generation. I await your contrary evidence.

Soldato

How many of those exclusives will vary per player and depending how much of a loss they're willing to take per sold unit, they could run into the situation at which they would not even break even in terms of what it costed to sell a unit and what the customer is paying back (price of the unit and possible games).

Soldato

Neither console is even out yet, how can you possibly say they've slipped up? Baffling. Literally all there is to speculate on is numbers and people's varying interpretation of those numbers.

What evidence?

You know, the evidence based on pure conjecture which leads people to form conclusions about how an entire console generation will play out before it's even started.

Soldato
How many of those exclusives will vary per player and depending how much of a loss they're willing to take per sold unit, they could run into the situation at which they would not even break even in terms of what it costed to sell a unit and what the customer is paying back (price of the unit and possible games).

You are forgetting things like PS+ membership, subscription services are big money and the bigger your user base the more subscribers you are likely to get.

Sony have made money this gen on the actual consoles, but I'd wager they have made more from PS+

If you can come out the gate with a cheaper product and some of those bigger 3rd party tie ins then people will be buying ps+, remember most people buy it yearly also and it will likely transfer over to PS5.

fez

fez

Caporegime
PS4 - "For the Gamers.."

PS5 - " For the Fanboys..." ;)

... I'm still buying it over the Xbox even if the on paper specs are worse for the exclusives and VR support :D

That would work if PS didn't win in the only thing that really mattters... the games. I think the "for the gamers" was basically saying "this is a gaming rig. Its not a media centre, its not a web browser or social network. Its a gaming device".

Soldato
Can't really see to many people jumping ship that own PS4 to Xbox next gen. Yes there will be few but in the grand scheme of things it's seems both consoles are extremely powerful. There will be a few Muppets like myself who buy both at some stage.

The old consoles wars of the past is over.

Hopefully Xbox will do better this gen as we need both companies to keep pushing each other.

Caporegime

It does feel like Sony have slipped up this time after absolutely romping the last generation, we'll see but I can't imagine having more predictable power at their disposal is going to be a bad thing for devs.

I don't really like the utlisation limit either, even if Sony are marketing it as a way to encourage developers to come up with more efficient code which will benefit everyone it still just seems like marketing for bad cooling to me.

It works both ways though to be honest, Xbox Series X has 16GB of memory but only 10GB operates faster than PS5's entire 16GB pool, the other 6Gb is slower. What if you have a game using over 10GB of graphical assets?

It's not going to be black and white I don't think, PS5's GPU is clocked around 30% faster so the way I'm looking at it it's like having a 12 core 3ghz CPU versus an 8 core 4ghz CPU, if you don't make use of the extra 4 cores you are going to be running slower. We saw with AMD Bulldozer how "moooaarr cores" is not necessarily a good thing. I've said it before but I think where the Xbox Series X is really going to shine is 8K resolution but also that is the resolution where you're more likely going to be hitting the 10Gb memory barrier where the Xbox then has to dip into slower memory. Also, does the faster PS5 GPU (in terms of raw clock speed) mean that it will be able to push higher frame-rates assuming the developer keeps within the confines of what the GPU can do? we know that Xbox GPU isn't going to bottleneck as quickly with higher graphical demands but it's also not going to have as high peak performance when you have lower graphical demands.

It's going to be really interesting to see next generation compared in the early multi-platform games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom