• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading CPU....which one though?

Associate
Hello,

I currently have a gtx 970, 12gb ram and running an i5 4440 @ 3.10 ghz. Playing 1080p games on a TV.

So I have been advised to next upgrade the CPU and been suggested the Ryzon but which model? I am trying to be on a budget so are there any other alternatives etc like i7? Or do I simply invest on a new graphics card....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
The one I eyed up was the r5 3600 (non x) at 165 quid, for its 6 cores at the lowest price then overclock it.

A faster gpu is probably be more of a benifit tbh

Soldato
Hello,

I currently have a gtx 970, 12gb ram and running an i5 4440 @ 3.10 ghz. Playing 1080p games on a TV.

So I have been advised to next upgrade the CPU and been suggested the Ryzon but which model? I am trying to be on a budget so are there any other alternatives etc like i7? Or do I simply invest on a new graphics card....

Thanks in advance

If you are on budget 3600 with B450 Tomahawk MAX or Carbon MAX and get 16GB DDR4
Now which one depends for £128 this one
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g440c9k-my-103-pa.html

and use DRAM Calculator to set it to 3600C14 like others.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/3600-cl14-bargain.18865865/

Or buy something cheaper for £98 and try to use DRAM Calc to overclock to 3600C16 shal you wish, or leave it as is.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs416g360c7k-my-104-pa.html

And you can always upgrade all way to 16 core CPU with the 3000 and upcoming 4000 series.

Associate
OP
Just to be clear Im currently using ddr3 rams, also, I don't really need to get a new motherboard do I? My apologies if I seem abit clueless

Caporegime
What's the problem you're trying to solve? Are you unhappy with the frame rates / settings at 1080p, or wanting to game at higher res?

I ask because a GTX970 is still pretty capable for some casual 1080p TV gaming, but if you're now wanting to game at 4K / AAA titles max detail, that changes the solution.

I'm tempted to say don't bother upgrading if you can't answer that question; you say someone advised you to upgrade? Maybe find a second hand CPU (presumably a 4770?) that will do 4GHz to drop into the motherboard?

Associate
OP
What's the problem you're trying to solve? Are you unhappy with the frame rates / settings at 1080p, or wanting to game at higher res?

I ask because a GTX970 is still pretty capable for some casual 1080p TV gaming, but if you're now wanting to game at 4K / AAA titles max detail, that changes the solution.

I'm tempted to say don't bother upgrading if you can't answer that question; you say someone advised you to upgrade? Maybe find a second hand CPU (presumably a 4770?) that will do 4GHz to drop into the motherboard?
Yed i should have explained, i iust want more framerates at the 1080 whilst having high settings. You hit the nail on the head.

Caporegime
Yed i should have explained, i iust want more framerates at the 1080 whilst having high settings. You hit the nail on the head.
If you're not playing the latest AAA titles that need multiple cores (what games do you play?), I'd be tempted to replace the GPU and ring the whatsits off your current CPU if you're not already.

As for what GPU, I'd look at the RX 5700 myself depending on budget. That will see you well at 1080p high details for a while (or until you become more CPU bound).

Associate
OP
I do play new games, been on Kingdom come deliverence for example, also would be hoping to play RE3 remake etc. I am realistic, im not expecting all maxed out at 60fps just wanting a better increase than what im currently getting.

Man of Honour
From the benches I've seen Kingdom come is a special case in some ways, it runs dog slow at high settings on even top-end hardware.

Soldato
PC Master Race buying half the next-gen console CPU as upgrade...
Exactly what Intel wants to hear so that they can continue their rape&robbery pricing and policies.

Was called a heretic every time I point that rightly we should be called "PC peasants", given 99% the systems of the PC users have compared to PS5 & Xbox X series.

Soldato
Was called a heretic every time I point that rightly we should be called "PC peasants", given 99% the systems of the PC users have compared to PS5 & Xbox X series.
Intel Cash Cow Race is more accurate description.
Or I guess it should really be Intel&Nvidia...

Back
Top Bottom