• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading CPU....which one though?

Soldato
You could upgrade to 4770k; they're about £100-125 second hand. It's not going to make a vast difference if that's what you're looking for, but it's the cheapest worthwhile option really.

Patch over the hole comes to mind. No extra IPC at all, just four more threads. Sure it might make some games run but I can't see it making a huge difference overall.

Man of Honour
From a few user comments I've seen, even those four threads can make a surprising difference to the experience in some games, but I wouldn't be doing it myself when a 3600 is 150.

Associate
I suppose I could have suggested spending £300-400 on a new CPU, mobo and RAM, when the guy said, and reinforced multiple times that he doesn't have the money for that. Maybe that would have gone down better with you two?

It actually used to be a recommended thing to throw in an i7 to extend the life of a system if you were running an i5. Suggest an alternative way to give some extra performance for under £200.

Soldato
I suppose I could have suggested spending £300-400 on a new CPU, mobo and RAM, when the guy said, and reinforced multiple times that he doesn't have the money for that. Maybe that would have gone down better with you two?

It actually used to be a recommended thing to throw in an i7 to extend the life of a system if you were running an i5. Suggest an alternative way to give some extra performance for under £200.

He can sell the current system (mobo, ram, cpu) for 150, add another 150 (needs 100-125 for the 4770K upgrade either way) and have a brand new system with bit more than the money need to upgrade from the CPU had already.

However best advice is save money and buy a Xbox X series or PS5 at the end of the year.
It would be better investment for the next 7+ years to play all new games as best quality and framerates.

Associate
He can sell the current system (mobo, ram, cpu) for 150, add another 150 (needs 100-125 for the 4770K upgrade either way) and have a brand new system with bit more than the money need to upgrade from the CPU had already.

However best advice is save money and buy a Xbox X series or PS5 at the end of the year.
It would be better investment for the next 7+ years to play all new games as best quality and framerates.

The i5 4440 is £30-35 on eBay, who knows what mobo he has and what value it would fetch, same goes for the RAM. Chances are it'd make less than £100 after costs for those parts.

Soldato
The i5 4440 is £30-35 on eBay, who knows what mobo he has and what value it would fetch, same goes for the RAM. Chances are it'd make less than £100 after costs for those parts.
If its a low end motherboard then not really much point in spending a lot on a K chip either.

Associate
If its a low end motherboard then not really much point in spending a lot on a K chip either.

In which case he could get a base i7 4770 for about £90 (recently sold price on eBay) He has an i5 4440, it's not even a 4670, so there will be a boost in base and turbo boost frequency and a doubling of the number of threads for £90, minus his processor if we're saying he can sell it, therefore a total cost of about £60.

He want's a bit of a performance boost to play some games at 1080p without breaking the bank.

Soldato
I don't think dropping £90 on a 7 year old quad core is worth it when there are new hex cores available at that price.

Associate
But like Spok said, he'd need a motherboard and RAM too. The i7 is a decent upgrade from the i5 (been there and done that, and yes it was clearly better in battlefield and other games), it'll give the system a bit more life and is the cheapest upgrade option.

Soldato
He want's a bit of a performance boost to play some games at 1080p without breaking the bank.
Low resolution only means that bottleneck is lot more often on CPU side instead of GPU.
And any quad core will be completely demolished by next-gen consoles.
So if purpose is to also play future games, instead of Intel stagnation era games, change would make sense only if costing pocket money.

Soldato
Sell what you have and go for an AM4 upgrade on a budget (B450 mobo + 3600 CPU). It is easily the best choice to make, more so than upgrading just your CPU.

Associate
Low resolution only means that bottleneck is lot more often on CPU side instead of GPU.
And any quad core will be completely demolished by next-gen consoles.
So if purpose is to also play future games, instead of Intel stagnation era games, change would make sense only if costing pocket money.

That's great to know, thanks. An upgrade to an i7 from a low end i5 would be reasonable for £60 as stated.

If anyone actually has a suggestion based on the OP not wanting to spend a lot of money, make it. Just seems to be an arguement thread for the most part now.

Soldato
That's great to know, thanks. An upgrade to an i7 from a low end i5 would be reasonable for £60 as stated.

If anyone actually has a suggestion based on the OP not wanting to spend a lot of money, make it. Just seems to be an arguement thread for the most part now.
As far as I was aware the OP has around £200 to spend which is enough for a r5 1600AF and pairing it with a second hand b450 and 16gigs of ram should fit that budget. Then he could sell his old i5 + mb and ram then put this towards a better Gpu once he's saved up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom