• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Associate
Case in point to what I said above, engine demos are always more impressive than actual games.
Based on the fact it says push x to interact I assume someone was controlling the character on screen. But yeah actual games on PS5 may not reach that level of detail but who knows maybe they will.

Caporegime
Based on the fact it says push x to interact I assume someone was controlling the character on screen. But yeah actual games on PS5 may not reach that level of detail but who knows maybe they will.

It's still an engine demo even if you can interact with it, it's designed to show stuff off while having a level of interactivity. Besides that it's all show no go.

Soldato
These demos always look great, but they are never duplicated into games because you need to also run the rest of the game, not just the graphics, you'd need a lot of expensive asset work, and you'd limit your market to the niche of high end PCs. Now, with next gen consoles coming that are "powerful enough" and a fixed hardware target, we may see something closer to the demos than we've seen before, if the devs can be bothered and the publishers are willing to finance it.

I do wonder if it causes physical pain to Tim Sweeny to have to support all-AMD hardware in the two big consoles with the graphical power to give UE5 something to work with. He's always been a fan of Nvidia over AMD.

Soldato
I'm impressed with the level of geometric detail displayed in demo. I hope that they can retain most of it when all the other game necessities are added.

However all those triangles are going to require a lot of storage. For reference i have a 3.7 million triangle, sculpted 3D model of a basic bunker (similar to the starcraft 2 terran bunker) and the geometry alone is 1GB. Imagine an entire linear level pushing well over a billion polygons:eek:.

Assuming that the developers can serisously push that level of detail we best start ordering 2TB NVMEs:p.

Yeah i just tweaked my other comment but it's fine

Soldato
I'm impressed with the level of geometric detail displayed in demo. I hope that they can retain most of it when all the other game necessities are added.

However all those triangles are going to require a lot of storage. For reference i have a 3.7 million triangle, sculpted 3D model of a basic bunker (similar to the starcraft 2 terran bunker) and the geometry alone is 1GB. Imagine an entire linear level pushing well over a billion polygons:eek:.

Assuming that the developers can serisously push that level of detail we best start ordering 2TB NVMEs:p.

Yeah i just tweaked my other comment but it's fine

couple things to consider

due to IO speeds and new tools next gen titles Don't need to store unique assets, assets can be reused and streamed in/out as required - so having a billion triangles doesn't mean that a billion unique assets stored on the disk. Also due to the speed at which data can be decompressed and streamed, assets don't need to be stored as raw data and can be heavily compressed to save on storage cost

Soldato
It's a good thing that SSD durability has come such a long way because the ssd on the ps5 and Xbox is going to be working very hard

Caporegime
At first I was quite impressed. But then he said "All running on a Playstation 5" and my jaw basically hit the floor... This level of detail and lighting might be available in CONSOLE games? And the following sequence made me swear involuntarily I was so impressed.

Cripes!

I am also watching in 4K. And you have to bear in mind there is Youtube compression at play too!

Soldato
At first I was quite impressed. But then he said "All running on a Playstation 5" and my jaw basically hit the floor... This level of detail and lighting might be available in CONSOLE games? And the following sequence made me swear involuntarily I was so impressed.

Cripes!

I am also watching in 4K. And you have to bear in mind there is Youtube compression at play too!
Here's a Vimeo link to enjoy

https://vimeo.com/417882964

Soldato
Case in point to what I said above, engine demos are always more impressive than actual games.

You are right but you can see where these guys are going... You could make that statue with engine 4, the sound yep, easy.. Light no problem.. Bugs, bat's yep.. All doable.... Maybe a top end AAA title might have the budget to get there on engine 4 (or close) I think that what they are offering will mean that tomorrow's budget titles (on engine 5) will equal / exceed today's AAA titles (in visuals/sound )..

Soldato
couple things to consider

due to IO speeds and new tools next gen titles Don't need to store unique assets, assets can be reused and streamed in/out as required - so having a billion triangles doesn't mean that a billion unique assets stored on the disk. Also due to the speed at which data can be decompressed and streamed, assets don't need to be stored as raw data and can be heavily compressed to save on storage cost

Without a dev coming out and saying something it is difficult to estimate how much space will be saved from not having all those copies (conclusion from a discussion in the xbox series x thread i have already had)

Assuming that they can push all those polygons, the amount of polygons has just increased significantly on a per model as well as the overall game basis based on this list.
Thunder jaw from Horizon was 550,000 polygons. Imagine if all the assests are only 3 times as big, that is a significant increase in data.

I don't know if geometry data compresses very well, and they may not want to if they plan on streaming that data from the SSD.

Soldato
Which means an actual game like that would be more like 1080p 30 ;)

The lower res was obvious because their god awful taa is just so clearly bad for below 4K. I hate it so much but at least UE4 Unlocker still exists for tweaks. Luckily we're not stuck with a 5700 XT for the next 8 years unlike PS5 so we'll have gpus for proper 4k resolution :cool:

You're aware the PS5, when considering it's console optimisation, will perform at 2080ti or greater levels? This is faster than 99% of gaming PC's of today, while costing far less :)

Back
Top Bottom