• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
@Gerard Did you do the Strix mod to replace the thermal pads? I had my temps reduce by 25 degrees! see my quick mod result above.

Yup, done that a while back and forgot to take the film off one side of the pad, :o. Removed now though, never monitored the hot spot temp before just the general gpu temp in afterburner.

Waiting on some thermal grizzly paste arriving so i can redo the TIM when i get the case rearranged.

Soldato
Well I reapplied paste. It's made about 5-10 degrees difference all round which is great but the temp is still around 69-70 on the GPU (about 87 in the hotspot) so the the fans still want to be ato 100%. Meh. I'll have to live with it I guess. Maybe it's to do with airflow inside the case but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.

Associate
Well I reapplied paste. It's made about 5-10 degrees difference all round which is great but the temp is still around 69-70 on the GPU (about 87 in the hotspot) so the the fans still want to be ato 100%. Meh. I'll have to live with it I guess. Maybe it's to do with airflow inside the case but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.

An improvement for sure, whats your fan curve like, and any OC settings in general? It shouldn't need 100% fan to maintain those temps unless you've got a really aggressive OC.

Run it with no side panel, if you see a massive improvement then airflow may be an issue.

Soldato
is the strix that bad then, as compared to the nitro its a poor cousin even when oc'ing to 1700mhz core and 1070mhz memory with 1025mv im only hitting a hot spot of 70 degrees

Caporegime
is the strix that bad then, as compared to the nitro its a poor cousin even when oc'ing to 1700mhz core and 1070mhz memory with 1025mv im only hitting a hot spot of 70 degrees

It's essentially just a recycled heatsink that first appeared on the 1080, was made with that in mind then modified slightly to fit the vega core. It's out of its depth cooling a vega imo.

Soldato
An improvement for sure, whats your fan curve like, and any OC settings in general? It shouldn't need 100% fan to maintain those temps unless you've got a really aggressive OC.

Run it with no side panel, if you see a massive improvement then airflow may be an issue.

No overclocks. Just undervolts. Good shout. I’ll try with the side off the case.

Mine’s a Powercolor Red Devil.

Soldato
thats surprising as myself thought the strix brand was a sign of quality
That’s the power of marketing. Strix owner here too and the cooler, quite simply put, isn’t fit for purpose. I changed out the abysmal thermal pad they come with for a thermal grizzly equivalent which did help a lot but temps and fan speeds were still too high for me so it’s under water now. Decent card let down by crappy cooler.

The Strix brand, indeed much like Asus in general, is not premium in any way and hasn’t been for years. Only good marketing keeps them where they are.

Associate
thats surprising as myself thought the strix brand was a sign of quality
I think their Nvidia cards are decent, but their AMD cards have been lacking. IMO Sapphire are one of the only ones that have been consistently producing decent AMD based cards. Everyone else seems to hit the mark sometimes, but also produce some absolute *****.

Caporegime

Says it all, says blaming AMD yet seemingly done no testing of their own and just slapped the same cooler onto the card.

You also have this joke of a card which got thoroughly smacked about in reviews. Yet another card where seemingly zero testing was done.

Associate

You also have this joke of a card which got thoroughly smacked about in reviews. Yet another card where seemingly zero testing was done.

The one was so awful they actually bothered to fix it so it is now a reasonable performer. Hopefully they'll offer free coolers to existing users.

Caporegime
The one was so awful they actually bothered to fix it so it is now a reasonable performer. Hopefully they'll offer free coolers to existing users.

Did they make a new cooler for it? I thought it ended up being discontinued.

Ed, just checked, made the heatsink larger and put better fans on it.

Soldato
[
I think their Nvidia cards are decent, but their AMD cards have been lacking. IMO Sapphire are one of the only ones that have been consistently producing decent AMD based cards. Everyone else seems to hit the mark sometimes, but also produce some absolute *****.
love my nitro, if only i could hit the 8k graphics score on timespy i be happy, 92 points to go, lol

Associate
Did they make a new cooler for it? I thought it ended up being discontinued.

Ed, just checked, made the heatsink larger and put better fans on it.
Yep, it now sides pretty much mid table when comparing temps / performance / noise. Big improvement, but there's still other cards you'd choose over it. If it matches your case / board aesthetically then I guess there's an argument for it now.

[

love my nitro, if only i could hit the 8k graphics score on timespy i be happy, 92 points to go, lol

I won't be upgrading on the 5xxx series cards but will be next gen I think - hopefully Sapphire continue their form and produce some nice cards for whatever is coming next :)

Soldato
Yep, it now sides pretty much mid table when comparing temps / performance / noise. Big improvement, but there's still other cards you'd choose over it. If it matches your case / board aesthetically then I guess there's an argument for it now.

I won't be upgrading on the 5xxx series cards but will be next gen I think - hopefully Sapphire continue their form and produce some nice cards for whatever is coming next :)
pretty pointsless upgrading to the 5000 range, big navi seems more sensible option, though depends on value and performance

Soldato
Custom fan curve or letting the card do what it wants? What have you got the volts down to, and I assume you've not changed the power limit?

Both. It goes up to the max no matter what I set it to as it's reaching 70 degrees. It does fine at 80% and I could probably go a bit lower because that's still really loud.

The last 2 states are set to 1000mV on the GPU side and the last state also at 1000mV for the HBM.

Caporegime
Both. It goes up to the max no matter what I set it to as it's reaching 70 degrees. It does fine at 80% and I could probably go a bit lower because that's still really loud.

The last 2 states are set to 1000mV on the GPU side and the last state also at 1000mV for the HBM.

Dunno how much truth there is to this but I read a while ago that vega rarely reaches state 7 for some reason :confused:

Associate

The "memory voltage" in the settings is a bit confusing as its not the HBM voltage, that is fixed in BIOS at 1.35V for Vega 64. Its essentially a "voltage floor", card cannot drop below it. as such, it should always be set at or less than what you set your GPU core voltage at.

If its stable at 1000mV then you're doing pretty well for an undervolt.

Did you try side panel off?

Back
Top Bottom