Picked up my new car this weekend........955hp V10 Audi RS6! (HP figure updated 08/10/22)

Soldato
OP
Do you know how much this has set you back in total now?

Not an exact number TBH but more of a good guess of around £40k to £50k over the past 5 years not including the cost of buying the car - £2k-ish for initial 740hp, £21k-ish for 900hp conversion inc AP big brake kit, £1.5k-ish for the rear diff rebuild with Quaife internals, £10k-ish for the 100k+ mile engine block replacement (scored bore) and then finally £10k-ish for this Gearbox replacement (snapped input shaft replaced and new clutch packs fitted), full suspension replacement and lots of other little fixes.

There may be other smaller costs from fixing broken things that I can't remember but I've not included the servicing, tyres etc as they are expected costs rather than due to failures.

TBH I mentioned this on rs246.com too when asked about whether it was worth it and my answer is always "yes and no", as in Yes the final product is definitely worth it but No because I know I'll never get that sunk cost back again when I sell up. If i had to do it all again then I'd definitely buy an already built 900hp car, because it really is awesome, and I wouldn't have to sink an extra £20k+ into it's build, but on the other hand I always like to make a car "mine" so I'd very probably take the pre-built 900hp car and spend my "saved" £20k+ changing things to an even higher spec (got a 1200hp spec in mind:D) as I'd want to make the car unique to me, but thats just me and my very probably warped sense of what is financially "sensible" :D

Soldato
OP
Exactly, I did the exactly same in my R34GTT when I swapped the old 400hp RB25DET for a 450hp RB26DETT engine into it (1st R34 with a GTR swap in the UK) and the memories I got from modifying these cars and the experiences they gave me afterwards are priceless (well not technically but we all know what I mean :D).

OcUK Staff
H could probably sell it now with 900+HP for what he paid for it 5 years ago stock. :p

Such is the way, with modifying cars.

Indeed but as he is not selling it then it does not really matter and even if he does sell it as he says the experience, fun and good times with the car are priceless.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
At the end of the day, you'd lose £50k on buying a typical £100k luxo-barge in a similar timeline.
From the perspective of someone currently running your average TD, probably looks like madness.
However, as suggested, it's clearly an utterly nuts once in a lifetime kind of experience. So good on the OP.

Soldato
OP
Wow. That’s a lot. How much did you buy the car for? Would you get a decent amount back for it now if you sell it on?

The car was £27k and absolutely stock, except for the set of very "high performance" Michelin Eco-type tyre that got removed ASAP :D

I'll be aiming for a figure in the high £30k range when it comes time to sell (£38k if sold today) which is an obvious "but the costs" issue for some but I went into this with my eyes open and with prior experience (another RS6, R34 Skyline etc) so the selling price vs accumulated cost isn't a shocker to me, plus being in a good financial position also helps absorb the always inevitable loss.

As an aside, just saw the video of the lunatic doing 202mph on the M23 past traffic, one handed while using a phone to film in the other hand - When I saw the DailyMail headline "Youtube video of 201mph in RS6 on UK roads" I did have a split second panic until I saw it was a newer C7 RS6 :D

Soldato
OP
@Dis86 - Hit 920PS, close enough :eek:

Honestly my HP figures go all over the place, I think I said my "Stage 2" tune was either 735hp, 740hp or 744hp (744PS in reality) and my 900hp figure ranges from 900+ to 907hp (the actual figure) to 920hp (instead of PS) depending on what day of the week it was :D

I'm very happy for a Mod to change the title however, the current power is 872hp after the slight detune post engine rebuild.

Caporegime
@Dis86 - Hit 920PS, close enough :eek:

Honestly my HP figures go all over the place, I think I said my "Stage 2" tune was either 735hp, 740hp or 744hp (744PS in reality) and my 900hp figure ranges from 900+ to 907hp (the actual figure) to 920hp (instead of PS) depending on what day of the week it was :D

I'm very happy for a Mod to change the title however, the current power is 872hp after the slight detune post engine rebuild.

Nope. Get out now :p

Soldato
OP
Just read this, and I find myself drawn here..... :p :D (I'm 99% sure thats a: an RS6 & b: not a standard one?)

A: Yeap its a C7 RS6 , the newer 4L V8 one.
B: I'd guess it's still OEM but fitted with the 186mph limiter (very lose term) from the 600hp Performance version which has the power raised from 550hp and limiter increased from 155 to 186mph by Audi. That limiter does nothing BTW, the 155 limiter doesn't activate to 170+ on the stock car anyway, LOL Audi.

I put that guess of OEM Performance version down to the following - from the video below - the slowness of the acceleration from 60mph (when he boots it at 2 seconds) up to 200mph (52 seconds) where it's taken 50 seconds to go from 60-200mph with a very slow top end vs my car at only 735hp where I reach 206mph from standstill in just 36 seconds (vid on youtube), plus my top end swings around much faster than the cars in the videos suggesting my car had far more power to beat wind resistance than this did.

Just watch the acceleration difference between these two runs -

vs my 206mph run in Germany -

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom