• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My i7 2600K build is still good 10 years on - What current CPU has best VFM over the next 10 years?

Soldato
I second this personally. Your current rig has got you this far so unless you're desperate to upgrade then waiting for DDR5 platforms at least increases the possibility of your next build lasting several years.

I've had my 8700K for 2 years and can see it lasting another 2 at least for gaming, especially as I'm much more of a casual gamer right now.
Pointless waiting and waiting at some point though, i only upgraded because my x99 board went bad last year. Will probably go to Zen 3 since it will be an easy slot in upgrade.

DDR5 will be expensive to start with and at slower speeds, but we'll see when it comes along and how good this new Intel architecture is. I'd only jump to it if it's a huge gain over Zen 3 anyways.

We'll probably get good gains every 1-2 or so generations now since we are just getting out of stagnation.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
In my opinion, now is bad time to buy. in 2021, 2022 we'll see major new technologies released

I second this personally. Your current rig has got you this far so unless you're desperate to upgrade.............

Thanks for the posts and the info, as I mentioned in the OP I'm not doing anything until my rig finally fails. So this is just me getting a heads up on the CPU tech I've ignored for the past 8+ years because I know my setup won't last forever so when it finally does break (the only reason I'd be upgrading) I don't have to spend a few weeks/month without a PC whilst I catch-up on all the new tech, review all the different options, buy, ship and build a new one - Instead I can just buy the same day it finally breaks.

However its good to get so many opinions that match/disagree as it all helps me understand the newer tech when people who've used it give their experiences.

Soldato
If it does everything that you want it to do then keep it. I honestly cant see myself upgrading my 6700k (bought 2016) until am4 is probably on its final series. I do see myself though buying a new graphics card and monitor late next year though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really interesting thread this one!

Personally I think buying as high end platform as possible gives best VFM. E.G HEDT stuff - as these platforms tend to have relatively long lives with multiple gens of processors released and more PCIE lanes

I got a TR 1950X on release with 64GB of RAM, loads of NVME etc. It won't need an upgrade for years yet (other than maybe GFX) - and say in 4 years time it needs more punch I can double or quadrupal the RAM, and swap to a 24 or 32 core processor, and there's enough PCIE lanes free to add any new tech that becomes standard (to a point as its PCIE gen3)

Soldato
OP
Here's my thinking re: HEDT - They'll still be capable in 10 years time of that I have no doubt, so if I got a 3960x setup (which I looked into) I'd still be using it in 2030 without issue, just matched to a really good GPU from the time. However, the VFM of a £1200 CPU vs, for example, the much regarded in here 3700x at just £300 can't be ignored but that really relies upon the 8C/16T 3700x (matched with a really good GPU again) still being as capable in 2030, just as my 2010 2600k with a 1070 still is in 2020 for my 1080p gaming. Who knows if 1080p gaming will even still be there in 2030, or will it have died out and 4K then be considered as "basic" as 1080p is now when 8k/16k is around (will it be, who knows?) etc.

If I was looking to change the "core" parts (CPU/MoBo/RAM) of the build every 3 or so years (which may end up being a better plan) it'd be much easier to decide. However my "keep the core the same & just update the GPU" plan, which worked well for the 2600k, is probably too dependent on the current tech having another stagnation period, where something like CPU's upto 16C/32T (either Intel or AMD) stays as the maximum core count for "desktop" setups for at least 5+ years. Plus with the PS5/XBox X I hoping that makes all game devs (inc PC) fully utilise that 8C/16T by 2024 at least, meaning that CPU core count becomes a limitation rather than the GPU being one. I mean what core count will PS6 etc be using in another 6-7 years time?

Or on the other hand, could Core count be less important and just IPC be the big development steps instead, so Desktop chips top out at that 16C/32T mentioned above but the IPC improves 15%+ every 2 years instead?

It's just so much guesswork with so much changing over the past 2 & next 2 years that my worry isn't so much that whatever I get will be bypassed in 3+ years (I know it will be so why worry) but that there's a technological "jump" in say 5+ years that'll leave 8C/16T trailing in it's wake forcing me to upgrade the "core" anyway making all this "decade planning" a little moot :)

I suppose this discussion is helpful to me in any case TBH.

Associate
Pointless waiting and waiting at some point though, i only upgraded because my x99 board went bad last year. Will probably go to Zen 3 since it will be an easy slot in upgrade.

DDR5 will be expensive to start with and at slower speeds, but we'll see when it comes along and how good this new Intel architecture is. I'd only jump to it if it's a huge gain over Zen 3 anyways.

I get what you're saying, I suppose this view is coloured by my own situation where whenever I upgrade it will be a full platform jump as I'm in a good position for (hopefully) a good few years yet.

Here's my thinking re: HEDT - They'll still be capable in 10 years time of that I have no doubt, so if I got a 3960x setup (which I looked into) I'd still be using it in 2030 without issue, just matched to a really good GPU from the time.

It panned out for my friend who bought an Intel HEDT 6c/12t CPU about 6/7 years ago. Granted, it wasn't £1k plus but for his purposes it's still working well and he doesn't feel close to the need to upgrade yet.

Associate
I don't agree that the Ryzen 3600 is the best comparison. I would say getting a 3900X now for £400 or whatever is the best comparison, should still be doing very well in 10 years and have similar longevity to the 2600K, in part due to the core count.

A 3700X probably comparable as well though much less core/thread count, but for as least the full 7 odd year lifespan of the PS5 and new Xbox it will be rock solid given it shares the same core/thread count, and will realistically probably last the decade.

Now, 6/12 processors are completely mainstream. Back in 2010, the 4/8 of the i7 was seen as a "waste" for gaming and barely any gaming PC's had them. It wasn't until around 2016/2017 that those extra threads started to really shine in fact....seven years later.

These days, a hex-core CPU is the bare minimum for a proper gaming PC, and can get gotten for as little as £100 in the 1600AF.

Associate
I remember when i paid a fortune to upgrade from my 2600k@5100mhz to a 4770K@4700 and ended up with lower benchmark scores and lower FPS :o:(

I made a similarly bad move moving from a 2500K (4.5GHz) to a 4690K which I got to 4.7GHz. Barely an upgrade as it turned out. In my defence I thought my CPU or mobo was to blame for consistent random crashes which turned out to be the graphics card (I was thrown off the scent when I swapped in another graphics card for a day of testing and suffered a crash).

Associate
I don't agree that the Ryzen 3600 is the best comparison. I would say getting a 3900X now for £400 or whatever is the best comparison, should still be doing very well in 10 years and have similar longevity to the 2600K, in part due to the core count.

A 3700X probably comparable as well though much less core/thread count, but for as least the full 7 odd year lifespan of the PS5 and new Xbox it will be rock solid given it shares the same core/thread count, and will realistically probably last the decade.

Now, 6/12 processors are completely mainstream. Back in 2010, the 4/8 of the i7 was seen as a "waste" for gaming and barely any gaming PC's had them. It wasn't until around 2016/2017 that those extra threads started to really shine in fact....seven years later.

These days, a hex-core CPU is the bare minimum for a proper gaming PC, and can get gotten for as little as £100 in the 1600AF.
Agreed if you want you CPU to last 8-12 years for gaming purposes it would be a good idea to get extra cores and threads early on. The 3900X is good but I think the advantage of going AMD instead of Intel is you have the flexibility of say, selling off a 3600 ryzen to buy 4700x or maybe 5700x later on the same motherboard. Hopefully by that time the x700x will have 10+ cores and 20+ threads. Who knows maybe the x600 platform may have upto 10 cores too depending on how the competition heats up in the CPU industry.

Associate
If it does everything that you want it to do then keep it. I honestly cant see myself upgrading my 6700k (bought 2016) until am4 is probably on its final series. I do see myself though buying a new graphics card and monitor late next year though.
im on a 6700k, got a 2070super from a 980ti and it plays everything just fine, maybe zen 3 or the 3900xt could tempt me...

Associate
I think generally you invest in and buy the best you can get for your money at the time and it will last another 5-10 years (2600k is a beast). Definitely right now to future proof 8/16 would be the way to go and for that an AMD CPU of some kind would be the best. Going forward even though CPU cores are finally higher only now will consoles get a proper 8c/16t CPU with a proper GPU in it...only now! This spec will last for 7 years or so looking at how long console gens have lasted so Im pretty sure that in 10 years time 8 core gaming will be king. It will actually only get going the next few years as developers can really flex their muscles with the new gen consoles which is always great for PC games too. Yes although intel hamstrung us on cores for so long sony also hamstrung us on games development with the design of ps3 and ps4s hardware. Thankfully Microsoft are pushing Console and PC gaming further than ever now.

And god please no streaming games...10 years ago it didn't work and 10 years from now it wont :)

Associate
I can see 8 becoming the new standard to replace quads over the next few years - it will help that the new consoles are 8 core as well.
Yes games will use more and more threads as time passes but I don't think we will move to 8 cores 16 threads just because consoles have that particular CPU. PS3 and PS4 had 8 cores yet PC games were fine with i3s and i5s back in the day.

Associate
Yes games will use more and more threads as time passes but I don't think we will move to 8 cores 16 threads just because consoles have that particular CPU. PS3 and PS4 had 8 cores yet PC games were fine with i3s and i5s back in the day.

Those consoles had 8 cores but they were not for pure CPU purposes they were shared with the GPU and the architecture especially for PS3 was very different to a PC. PS4 did go to a more traditional x86 arch but it was a heavily customised AMD Jaguar CPU @1.6Ghz per core. PS5/XboxSX will have a different arch where the CPU is a full 8 core Zen 2 @3.5Ghz per core. It will be not just much more powerful but much easier for developers to leverage and it's gonna be exciting to see what they can do.

This will then follow onto PC hardware as mainly developers develop for console first.

Associate
I am in a similar situation. My i7 5930K at 4.5Ghz is doing everything I need just fine but the upgrade itch is killing me. I always look around reviews, benchmarks and forum discussion to see if it is worth upgrading but again I feel like it won't be a big jump in performance. My mobo died about a year ago and people here recommended me to stick to x99 and buy a second hand board. I took that advice and think it was the right decision. When I first built this system I did not even know about the pcie lanes but was happy mine was 40 as I am runnning dual GPU setup. I think I will keep my CPU a little longer and maybe upgrade my GPU instead when the next 3xxx series or big Navi from AMD comes out but nevertheless concerned that the new consoles will make my 6c/12t obsolete.

Back
Top Bottom