Will my pc be okay for "next gen"?

Associate
Will my pc be good enough for next gen or should I just get a ps5??

CPU i5 7600k
GPU 1660 super
Ram Corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 3000

My GTX 1070 trades blows with the 1660 Super. I only game at 1080p, but I'm already having to reduce settings to achieve optimum performance with newer titles. Your CPU is more modern than mine, but whether it will see you through the next generation remains to be seen. The PS5 is undoubtedly more powerful than your system, although you could upgrade the GPU when the next iteration is released, but a 3070 or equivalent would probably be in the same price bracket. A GPU upgrade won't offer nearly as much value in the long-term, if you consider that a console will guarantee an optimized experience throughout the entirety of the generation.

Last edited:
Soldato
My two cents as a PC gamer who also owns a PS4 Pro:

PC gaming is somewhat a luxury, I have a 2070S which is already on the expensive side and I guess it'll be at most borderline for next gen if you settle for lower settings. GPU prices are also getting crazy.

It's enough for solid 1440p gaming at high settings for now.

Consoles were always a better investment for people who just want to play games hassle-free and be set for a generation. You also have to consider PS4 exclusives among which are many great games that'll probably never come to PC.

You could upgrade to a 3070 which will cost you probably the price of a PS5 and guess what? Your CPU will bottleneck it. The cycle continues.

Frankly, the only reason I still bother with PC gaming is because 60fps and above is vastly superior but I guess PS5 will be able to push 60fps and that's when I jump ship and leave my PC just for music making and web browsing.

Caporegime
Yeah, I'm playing the waiting game to see what the Ampere GPUs are like and whether the next-gen consoles are still going to be stuck in the treacle mode of 30fps. If they do manage a nice 60fps for a bigger range of games then I may just leave the PC alone. There is no way I'm buying two consoles again. The Xbone sat gathering dust for many months. And since I signed up to PS Now recently, my poor PC has been sitting gathering dust even though it plays everything better than the PS3 and PS4. Gotta get those trophies. :p

And vice versa, if the consoles are at 30fps again, then I may not bother and just upgrade the PC. There'll be plenty of games to play either way and you never know Sony may start putting more of their exclusives on to Steam/Epic at a quicker pace if Horizon Zero Dawn sells well.

Soldato
Re the FPS question for next gen consoles - my feeling is some games will have 60fps like call of duty.

Everything else? I fear it will just be more bells and whistles and still 30fps. I really hope I am wrong though.

Associate
I'm sorta in the same boat. I have a semi decent pc that's just waiting for a new gpu to be dropped inside. I was planning to go full pc next gen, upgraded everything at the start of the year apart from the gpu as I waiting for the new cards. But I fear that my only way to best these new consoles will be to spend around £800+ on these new cards. I'm not entirely sure if it'll be worth it or not, these new consoles will be just a bargain for what you're getting.

Associate
I'm in a similar position, my pc's getting a bit long in the tooth (980ti, 4770k) but gpu prices have put me off upgrading. Now that the new consoles can do 60fps I'm looking at them more seriously although not being able to use a keyboard and mouse is still a big issue for me. I've decided that since my pc can still just about handle new games ok I'll just wait till sometime next year to get a clearer view of what the new consoles can do.

Associate
I'm in a similar position, my pc's getting a bit long in the tooth (980ti, 4770k) but gpu prices have put me off upgrading. Now that the new consoles can do 60fps I'm looking at them more seriously although not being able to use a keyboard and mouse is still a big issue for me. I've decided that since my pc can still just about handle new games ok I'll just wait till sometime next year to get a clearer view of what the new consoles can do.

On current gen PS4 and Xbone you can use KBM.... no doubt you will be able to on SX and PS5.

Shawrey

Caporegime
Grrr, I just wish these consoles were out already so I could finally decide between PC+PS5 or XSX+PS5. Thinking about what's happened in the last few years, I've bought a shedload of games on PS4 digitally and played them there quite happily and I've had my money's worth out of them. But what I've also done is buy the same game again on PC when it came up on sale. Problem is I've never touched them, they are just sitting there in my Steam library. I don't feel an inclination to play the same games again so soon. I've really only been using my PC for the exclusives like the two SCS truck simulator games!

Logically, it would make more sense for me to go with both consoles and just leave the PC alone. With both systems having SSDs, being 2x more powerful than my current PC (which will cost the price of one of the consoles to upgrade) and Xbox having those magical backward compatibility enhancements, they just seem like a bloody good fit for the next few years.

Soldato
Grrr, I just wish these consoles were out already so I could finally decide between PC+PS5 or XSX+PS5. Thinking about what's happened in the last few years, I've bought a shedload of games on PS4 digitally and played them there quite happily and I've had my money's worth out of them. But what I've also done is buy the same game again on PC when it came up on sale. Problem is I've never touched them, they are just sitting there in my Steam library. I don't feel an inclination to play the same games again so soon. I've really only been using my PC for the exclusives like the two SCS truck simulator games!

Logically, it would make more sense for me to go with both consoles and just leave the PC alone. With both systems having SSDs, being 2x more powerful than my current PC (which will cost the price of one of the consoles to upgrade) and Xbox having those magical backward compatibility enhancements, they just seem like a bloody good fit for the next few years.

I have recently invested in a gaming laptop. That will do me for a few years and I have my 1x and pro for sofa gaming.

I have discovered I play on both consoles although there was a period when I got the pro that I played just exclusives.

I am lucky enough to own three gaming platforms and I like the versatility.

At the moment I am leaning more to PS5 but in time I can see myself owning both the next gen consoles.

I just hope they pull their fingers out with fresh IP instead of releasing endless remasters. My feeling is Sony have a better track record for that kind of thing so I'm very much leaning that way at the moment. Unless the power difference is very obvious I cant see myself plumping for a series x at this stage. It also has the most uninspiring design for a piece of tech I have seen in a long time.

Associate
This generation I think the consoles were a good hassle free approach in gaming. Buy a ps4 pro for 350, or Xbox 1x and you got loads of exclusives and 3rd party games to enjoy and no issues if they can run, or having to drop settings because your gpu cannot run it. Also almost everything from PC apart from exclusives has been released on both consoles as well.

Gone are the days were you needed a PC to play exclusive games there, consoles sell more and are not easy to hack so devs will always like the consoles. Yes its not eye candy, its only 30fps and not proper 4k but still for the price it is really good. Of course PC has it niche games like RTS and World of Warcraft etc.

If the next gen consoles do 60fps even if they cost 600 or close to that I think a lot of people won't bother with pc gaming any more. Just the fact that you need to spend an arm and a leg to get a 2080ti since launch to be able to do 4k 60fps (not on RT games though) says a lot.

Nvidia needs to wake up and see the competition is not only AMD on PC but also the consoles, because a lot of pc gamers will just jump ship and go console if the prices keep being ridiculous. A whole console costs less than a medium performing gpu now. Possibly the gpu performs better than a ps4 gpu, but you will still need to factor in a cpu, mobo, ram etc to the costs.

I always had a pc to game on with a decent GPU usually a X70 /XX80 nvidia (the later after it drops in price) - this time i went with Vega and i am happy with the performance but the pc i just built cost a lot of money and if it was just for gaming as was the case up to a few years back it would be money thrown away.

Back to the OPs question - the pc should be ok for 1080p and possibly some 1440p and i don't think the CPU will bottleneck much a new GPU if he needs to upgrade further down the line, but as games are requiring more cores the processor might need to be changed a few years later and so the whole setup.

One thing that i have as a concern is how the new consoles will be using the SSD for fast loading assets and how is that going to translate on PC ssds that are supposedly slower.

Caporegime
One thing that i have as a concern is how the new consoles will be using the SSD for fast loading assets and how is that going to translate on PC ssds that are supposedly slower.

Yeah, I can't get my head around this either. Either games are still going to be scuppered and have to cater for systems with HDD and all you'll get are reduced load times or they will have to skip PC like they used to in the old days (but that wasn't for tech reasons). I can't see how a PC can keep up with the new I/O architectures when there are decompression chips for the SSD doing the work of multiple Zen cores.

I've just read an interesting little interview with the DiRT 5 developer who says even the slower XBox Series X SSD is different to PC SSDs (and I interpret that as being faster than your typical PC NVMe SSD). I suppose they could mandate that such and such a game requires an NVMe SSD to run - SATA SSD may not even be acceptable next gen.

And then that makes me think I'd have to buy a whole brand new PC, even though mine is only a couple of years old!

Associate
Yeah, I can't get my head around this either. Either games are still going to be scuppered and have to cater for systems with HDD and all you'll get are reduced load times or they will have to skip PC like they used to in the old days (but that wasn't for tech reasons). I can't see how a PC can keep up with the new I/O architectures when there are decompression chips for the SSD doing the work of multiple Zen cores.

I've just read an interesting little interview with the DiRT 5 developer who says even the slower XBox Series X SSD is different to PC SSDs (and I interpret that as being faster than your typical PC NVMe SSD). I suppose they could mandate that such and such a game requires an NVMe SSD to run - SATA SSD may not even be acceptable next gen.

And then that makes me think I'd have to buy a whole brand new PC, even though mine is only a couple of years old!
Thats the issue I can see. My mobo supports gen 4 so hopefully can do more speeds although the gen 4 nvme's are stupidly expensive and not that much faster so i opted for an MP510 ssd instead of an MP600. I read somewhere that ps5 has speeds of 5.5GB/s and more if data is compressed, thats gen 4 nvme and how is that going to work with PCs with sata ssd's ouch. Well we will know by end of 2020 I quess. Today is supposed to be some PS5 announcements so hopefully we will get some idea.

Soldato
Imo pc gaming is a complete joke cost wise. The high end costs are stupid prices. I miss it , but will never got back to it. wolfenstein Enemy Territory I miss you old friend :(

I kind of agree and disagree at the same time. My PC is 'top end', over $6,000 worth of components in it. But it is my #1 hobby, I love building PC's, doing the customer loops which I only just got back into. Tweaking it, the whole shebang.

At the same time, I agree, the cost for parts is absolutely stupid and is not warranted. Right now, I'm itching to upgrade my 2080 ti but I already know I'm gonna have to pay over $1,200 for the 3080 ti. We do have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Switch, Oculus quest and even then, I use my PC 90% of the time for games. I love cranking everything to the max and getting high FPS. Maybe the new gen consoles will change me back? As playing at 30fps just isn't realistic anymore.

Soldato
I kind of agree and disagree at the same time. My PC is 'top end', over $6,000 worth of components in it. But it is my #1 hobby, I love building PC's, doing the customer loops which I only just got back into. Tweaking it, the whole shebang.

At the same time, I agree, the cost for parts is absolutely stupid and is not warranted. Right now, I'm itching to upgrade my 2080 ti but I already know I'm gonna have to pay over $1,200 for the 3080 ti. We do have a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Switch, Oculus quest and even then, I use my PC 90% of the time for games. I love cranking everything to the max and getting high FPS. Maybe the new gen consoles will change me back? As playing at 30fps just isn't realistic anymore.

that's kinda what pc gaming is like for a lot of people. Some people have lots of hobbies so they may only be able to afford a console and some people just have gaming so they are able to puts lots of cash into that one hobby

Soldato

If the pc ssd can't keep up you have two choices.

constant loading screens and/or frame rate lag

or

put all data into vram - ie we need gpus with 20gb+ VRAM

Back
Top Bottom