Will my pc be okay for "next gen"?

Soldato
It's not gonna be on par with a PS5 but you'll be fine at 1080p. It will be years before new games will really make you think about an upgrade.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think when you compare PC gaming Vs the next gen consoles purely from a gaming stand point you miss a lot of the benefits of a PC. For me I work on and use my PC for many other tasks. I could have put a really cheap GPU in there and used a basic 60hz monitor and made it a workstation. However spending £400-500 more on the same PC I now have 144hz 1440p gaming.

I personally wouldn't build a PC purely for gaming unless as mentioned it was a passion / hobby.

Soldato
I'm going to stick a different slant on this.

PC is the best place to be. Last month, Microsoft showed off a few "exclusive" third-party games. They're coming to PC as well as Xbox. Last night, Sony showed off a bunch of "exclusive" third-party games. Again, they are coming to PC as well as PS5. Next month, Microsoft will show off a bunch of first-party games, which will come to PC and Xbox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but of all the next-gen games announced so far for either console, this is what PC players will miss out on:

Spider Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Demon's Souls
Horizon: Forbidden West

That's not a bad list of games by any means, but it's a tiny fraction of what has been announced so far. If you want one machine which will play the vast majority of next-gen titles, stick with PC.

Caporegime
Yup, after having seen last night's event, I'm not sure about PS5 straight away now. Even though I have been waiting three years for the damn thing. It depends on how much the digital edition is going to cost. £399 and I'll bite. But if it's more then I'll be tempted to wait. My PC needs some loving.

Soldato
Nothing really drawing me to PS5 following the presentation last night. Sequels and remasters mostly and the new titles dont interest me.

I want some new IP and Sony usually deliver but I just get the feeling there will be a dry spell given the risk averse development models being used. Also it needs to be black!!

I'm not a fan of either of the next gen form factors but the exclusive titles are what were making me lean to PS5 but now that's in question. Haven't seen anything on either platform that wows me and even though series x design is bland, it is preferable to the abomination that was unveiled last night! Really disappointed with the PS5 design, although I do like the pads.

Soldato
Its always like this at console launch time. Consoles effectively play catch up with tech and then drop off hard again over the following years but yes you will need to upgrade at some point.

Nvidia do need to stop price gouging though if they want the PC to remain successful. They are getting a bit too greedy on the promise of tech that currently amounts to playing a 20 year old game with pretty lighting.

The whole ssd ps5 thing feels to me like the previous generation cloud AI rubbish- nothing of worth actually happened with that. Pretty much the only games that MAY use it will be first party and surely even then its engine dependant.

I will get a ps5 mainly because of GT7 and DeS and the promise of BB2.

Associate
my slant on this is more to do with eco-systems than the hardware. I have two teenage boys and between us we have three xbox one's as well as 1 gaming laptop (mine) and a gaming PC. as you can guess we're tied into the microsoft eco-system pretty deeply what with game pass ultimate and xbox game pass for windows. For us the next logical upgrade is to the series X.

In the past, pre-xbox 360, I was an avid PC gamer. Had a few consoles but loved to build and tweak PC's. I was always looking to upgrade to the latest kit, to push the PC to its limits and to try and keep up with others on this very forum for bragging rights. That all changed when the 360 came along. I just got to the point where I didn't want to continue to invest in the GPU/CPU upgrade arms race all the time. A few hundred pounds dropped on a console which would satisfy my gaming needs for a good few years vs constantly upgrading in search of better performance was a no-brainer. The "gaming" Laptop was purchased to replace an older laptop and used mostly for work but has an RTX GPU inside which allows me to game when I fancy it. The Gaming PC was purchased for my eldest son to do school work on but had since been upgraded with a mid-range gpu to allow him to game on it with his friends. Neither of these will require any sort of upgrade for a while to come.

Soldato

PC is the best place to be. Last month, Microsoft showed off a few "exclusive" third-party games. They're coming to PC as well as Xbox. Last night, Sony showed off a bunch of "exclusive" third-party games. Again, they are coming to PC as well as PS5. Next month, Microsoft will show off a bunch of first-party games, which will come to PC and Xbox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but of all the next-gen games announced so far for either console, this is what PC players will miss out on:

Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Demon's Souls

That's not a bad list of games by any means, but it's a tiny fraction of what has been announced so far. If you want one machine which will play the vast majority of next-gen titles, stick with PC.
Dont forget the backward compatibility.

the PC is leaps and bounds ahead in that regard.

PC has a few eclusives too:

• Squad
  • Star citizen
  • dual universe
  • Half life VR game ALyx
probably more

Soldato
I'd have a fast PC even if I didn't play PC games, sticking in a budget GPU is a no brainer.

I'm running a RX570 4GB which cost me about £70. It's fine for what I do, though the sub 200 note GPU selection is pants these days

Soldato
I'd have a fast PC even if I didn't play PC games, sticking in a budget GPU is a no brainer.

I'm running a RX570 4GB which cost me about £70. It's fine for what I do, though the sub 200 note GPU selection is pants these days
probably cheaper to just get a aming laptop for 1k. some have very capable gpu's.

Anyways like others mentioned, i like building pc's and i edit photos and do coding on my system

Soldato

Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Demon's Souls

really depends what you're in to. Most of those games are heavy narrative single player games which I love. I would and will buy a PS5 if just to play the games you listed above, but that's just me.

I also bought a Nintendo switch just to play Zelda and Mario

Last edited:
Associate

Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Demon's Souls

Only game i want to play on that list is Horizon forbidden west is Resident Evil village coming to pc?

Soldato
really depends what you're in to. Most of those games are heavy narrative single player games which I love. I would and will buy a PS5 if just to play the games you listed above, but that's just me.

I also bought a Nintendo switch just to play Zelda and Mario

It's not the games that are the issue for me. It's being able to find value in spending £400-£600 on a new console. There are three games on that list I'd like to play; Spider Man, Ratchet & Clank and Horizon. Everything else that caught my eye during the PS5 event will be released on PC.

I'd sooner just enjoy the plethora of stuff coming to PC, and catch up on the PS5 exclusives later.

I bought a Switch for similar reasons to you. But it was £230 with a copy of Mario Kart. And by the time I bought it, there was about a dozen games I wanted for the system (which were only available on that system). So quite a different set of circumstances :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Digital Foundry take on next gen prep

ahttps://out.reddit.com/t3_ha7lo9?url=https://youtu.be/wkZBuL_a13E&token=AQAA_XbpXk2EDfiIpkj2CA60sSomNHBdMjj8CICtGyoAs5cOQH_w&app_name=reddit.com

tldr: don't bother upgrading your PC till the end of the year but if for some reason you just cannot wait - these is the minimum specs Digital Foundry believes you need to keep pace with consoles

cpu: ryzen 3600x/Intel 10600k then in 2021 upgrade 8c model
Gpu: RTX 2070 Super/GPU with 8GB+ VRAM and supports all DX12 Ultimate feature set
RAM: 16GB ddr4 3000 (leave two slots open for 32gb in future)
Motherboard: B550/z490 (the board must also supports 8c or more for future upgrade)
SSD: Pcie4 NVMe/pcie3 NVMe

Last edited:
Associate
I pretty much have that spec except I've only got a 9600K, so realistically I'll need an expensive 9900K or a motherboard and CPU upgrade, maybe NVME too, but with a 2070S and 32GB of decent ram as well with a fast traditional SSD, I bet that will still play early ports OK even on a fast 6 core.

One thing to think is that the Switch is still so popular, some multi platform games might not even take full advantage of all that power. I remember being so annoyed that multi platform games were usually based on PS1 versions when I also had a N64 and DC. Some absolute terrible ports to N64 and DC due to that.

I can definitely see some more niche Japanese games being reduced a bit so they can also port it easily to Switch.

Back
Top Bottom