Rift s whos getting one?

Associate
I'll just leave this here, in case others have issues with their Rift S. I've had USB connection issues with my Rift S for weeks. Tried everything, different ports, disabled power management, tried USB 3.0, 3.1... Every time I'd boot up the PC in the morning, the Rift S would come up with an error about the USB connection not working.

Once I unplugged everything and replugged back in, it worked fine for the rest of the day. Until next day when 100% guaranteed, same issue. I have now plugged the Rift S USB cable into my monitor's USB 3.0 port and have not had a single issue for 5 days solid. Maybe the USB 3.0 port on the monitor is able to deliver more power to the headset than the motherboard. That's what I think. Anyway, try it if you're having issues.

Associate
Next expected shipment isn't until Mid June, although i've pre ordered mine now, no guarantees i'll get it then either.

Considering i can't find it anywhere else for a decent price, i guess i'll just have to be patient.

Soldato
Next expected shipment isn't until Mid June, although i've pre ordered mine now, no guarantees i'll get it then either.

Considering i can't find it anywhere else for a decent price, i guess i'll just have to be patient.

All you can do is be patient. I was lucky with mine, the Oculus store showed stock at like 2am while I was looking around. Keep an eye on the Oculus subreddit too, lots of people are posting in there when they find stock.

Soldato
General question for fellow Rift S owners: Do you notice that the right hand controller seems to eat batteries more than the left ? Had ours about 6 weeks now and its needed new battery twice, whereas the left one hasn't flagged low battery at all. I don't use it much, its the children and my wife mostly, so wasn't sure if its just that the right hand controller gets used more and so eats more battery up. Most used applications are beat saber, superhot and google earth.

Soldato
General question for fellow Rift S owners: Do you notice that the right hand controller seems to eat batteries more than the left ? Had ours about 6 weeks now and its needed new battery twice, whereas the left one hasn't flagged low battery at all. I don't use it much, its the children and my wife mostly, so wasn't sure if its just that the right hand controller gets used more and so eats more battery up. Most used applications are beat saber, superhot and google earth.

Just replaced the original batteries that I put in with some Eneloop Pros, I think they were both showing low battery when I replaced them.

Soldato
Also picked up some eneloop pros and a charging plug for them, seems like a good investment. I think the battery thing is a bit weird as I can remove and put them back in and it jumps up again.

Soldato
Also picked up some eneloop pros and a charging plug for them, seems like a good investment. I think the battery thing is a bit weird as I can remove and put them back in and it jumps up again.

Yes they are a great investment. Swapped out the old Eneloop that was in my G700s and barely lasting a day, it's now lasted a few weeks! I think the old one was pretty knackered.

Soldato
General question for fellow Rift S owners: Do you notice that the right hand controller seems to eat batteries more than the left ?

This is pretty common if you're right handed, as that hand tends to get used more interactions, which causes the haptic motors to be more active and drain the battery faster. With me it's the left controller, as I'm left handed.

Soldato
This is pretty common if you're right handed, as that hand tends to get used more interactions, which causes the haptic motors to be more active and drain the battery faster. With me it's the left controller, as I'm left handed.

Yeah, makes sense now you say it and explains what's happening.

@HungryHippos and @no idea what thanks for the rechargeable suggestion. I'm used to buying duracells in bulk from Costco, but that's a far more environmentally friendly way. The technology has come on a bit since I last looked !

Associate
So I bought using the site for the first time not knowing my purchase was a pre order... (seriously a single dot showing a colour that the order is, not a good way to show it, it should be shown multiple times through the purchase) and I got an update from customer services for anyone interested.

Thank you for your webnote, our stock is due at the end of May towards the end of the 1st week of June.

no mention of how much stock, no indication if order will be fulfilled (ordered mine approx 6 pm on the 29th of April) so hopefully anyone who ordered will get theirs soon.

Soldato
Good result! One of the halo rings on my Quest touch controller (same as the Rift S) has a crack in it where I whacked it into the wall. It's a common issue with the new touch controllers which are less robust than the CV1 controllers (which are made of an alloy of Adamantium and Nokia phone plastic).

If the controller has a clean break at the top of the ring, then this is can be due to a design flaw and Oculus have been known to replace controllers with that fault.

You can get silicone 'bumpers' for the controllers which can help prevent cracks, or keep cracks from getting worse.

Just wanted to add to this, thanks for the suggestion, Oculus replaced the controller!

Soldato
I've been patiently waiting for Oculus to make an official headphone addition for the S, because I was hoping for something which had very short cables and good connectors. But I finally got fed up of waiting, and followed these instructions:

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

Works a charm, and very easy to do. I didn't even have to take the wire holding the cables for storage off as it was already holding it to the perfect length for the bundle to sit on top of the lens housing, and the plug to justy reach the 3.5mm socket.

The headphones only cost £18 - and by all accounts the drivers are actually the same ones Oculus used for the Rift.

Back
Top Bottom