Madeleine McCann cops ask Home Office for more money to continue search for missing child

Soldato
All seems very vague, if they have something then it still needs to be substantial to say that it's concrete evidence. If it isn't forensic, then it almost certainly has to be photo/videographic and that's likely why it can never be shared.

They discovered approx 8,000 photos videos of child abuse when they searched his motorhome in May 2016, but they were looking for Inga Geriche and may not have connected it to this case. I wonder if they've gone back over this evidence and have a made a connection.

Or perhaps her DNA in the motorhome.

That would be direct forensic evidence linking him to the disappearance/murder.

Associate
I (probably wrongly) took the no forensic evidence bit to mean none at all, but I guess with the way they've worded it then they may have some but it doesn't prove that she died.

If they do have DNA evidence of her being in his motor home then surely that's something that can be shared though?

It'll be interesting to follow the case

They discovered approx 8,000 photos videos of child abuse when they searched his motorhome in May 2016, but they were looking for Inga Geriche and may not have connected it to this case. I wonder if they've gone back over this evidence and have a made a connection.

That would be direct forensic evidence linking him to the disappearance/murder.

Yea my brain wasn't functioning. Imagine having the job of having to go through child abuse footage, harrowing as ****.

Caporegime
Yea my brain wasn't functioning. Imagine having the job of having to go through child abuse footage, harrowing as ****.

The statistics on it are harrowing, suicide, depression, PTSD etc are all through the roof, unfortunately, it's one of those jobs that someone has to do if we want to solve crimes. It's even the case for content moderators on the likes of Facebook, who have to trawl through slightly more might I say it, tame footage, like cartel beheadings. I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world. Those people who can sit and share that stuff (cartel murders and torture, nothing that's necessarily illegal to watch) in WhatsApp groups worry me. On the odd occasion where I've been caught out by one, it stays in my mind for days on end, imagine having to watch content like that for 8 hours a day or even 5 minutes for that matter!

Soldato
From what I understand is photos and videos get uploaded on to a police database that cross references them to help to try and identify the victims. I would have hoped this is the case in Germany. 2016/17 isn't that long ago and the database technology, at least here, as been functioning for years.

I noticed they have requested a dna sample from the bed sheets of madeline from the portuguese police, though its expected they will be denied.

Man of Honour
it's one of those jobs that someone has to do if we want to solve crimes. It's even the case for content moderators on the likes of Facebook, who have to trawl through slightly more might I say it, tame footage, like cartel beheadings. I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world.

I'm in charge of obtaining Clinical Photography and no one else in my department will do it.
I see some harrowing stuff but I have the stomach for it.

Man of Honour
The statistics on it are harrowing, suicide, depression, PTSD etc are all through the roof, unfortunately, it's one of those jobs that someone has to do if we want to solve crimes. It's even the case for content moderators on the likes of Facebook, who have to trawl through slightly more might I say it, tame footage, like cartel beheadings. I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world. Those people who can sit and share that stuff (cartel murders and torture, nothing that's necessarily illegal to watch) in WhatsApp groups worry me. On the odd occasion where I've been caught out by one, it stays in my mind for days on end, imagine having to watch content like that for 8 hours a day or even 5 minutes for that matter!

Sadly these days I could probably do that as a job :( it takes something truly exceptional to truly shock me any more - I've become completely capable of having a huge amount of empathy and respect while staying detached :(

Soldato
It'll be interesting to follow the case

I know someone who did it for a while. They pay is very good but people don't do it for more than a few months. I think most of the images are scanned by an algorithm now and they only look at a handful of them. But yea it messes some people up. The job also came with mandatory counselling every so often because when you do something for long enough you become de-sensitised to it.

Man of Honour
I know someone who did it for a while. They pay is very good but people don't do it for more than a few months. I think most of the images are scanned by an algorithm now and they only look at a handful of them. But yea it messes some people up.

Most people simply aren't upto something like that - you need to be able to either compartmentalise it very effectively or see life from a bigger picture almost detached perspective or just be an actual psychopath :s

Soldato
Most people simply aren't upto something like that - you need to be able to either compartmentalise it very effectively or see life from a bigger picture almost detached perspective or just be an actual psychopath :s

It's similar with people in the military. Some people take a dark turn after seeing people getting shot and blown to bits. They change but they don't notice it themselves and it's dangerous for some people.

Soldato
Well yeah they are partly responsible for her death, leaving children unattended.

This still somehow seems to be an area of debate, most reasonable people that care for children come down on the side of irresponsible parenting, others seem to think it was somehow OK to leave their 3 children because "they weren't that far away" etc. etc. I'm strongly in the former camp ;)

I accept that leaving a child alone and defenceless is no excuse for somebody kidnapping but it's not unknown (as the very word kidnapping suggests) and while thankfully very rare that's why you keep your children under care/attention + for a multitude of other more mundane reasons!

Last edited:
Caporegime
If I were the McCanns, I'd be reminding myself that I would still have a daughter if I hadn't done such a ****-poor job at parenting.
Certain posters here believe they (the McCanns) did nothing wrong. I suspect certain posters here have done the same or worse with their own kids.

Man of Honour
Certain posters here believe they (the McCanns) did nothing wrong.

You can argue that 1000s upon 1000s of holidaymakers are still 'doing nothing wrong' by using hotel listening services but any responsible parent keeps the kids with them.
I go abroad twice a year and I still see dozens of parents leaving their kids in the evening.

Soldato
I’ve never used a listening service but I’m sure you’d lock your hotel room before leaving, did the McCanns ensure all the doors were locked when they left their children alone and defenceless?

Caporegime
You can argue that 1000s upon 1000s of holidaymakers are still 'doing nothing wrong' by using hotel listening services but any responsible parent keeps the kids with them.
I go abroad twice a year and I still see dozens of parents leaving their kids in the evening.
To be clear I don't agree that they "did nothing wrong", was just pointing out that several posters here keep rushing to their defence every time :p So one can only assume they also think it's OK to leave a 3 year old home alone.

Back
Top Bottom