Terrorist attack in Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was the first to mention the stabbings right? You just talk absolute nonsense don't you.

I started a new thread as I'm not sure to BLM just yet. Maybe I shouldn't have...

You linked the stabbings to the BLM movement, and clearly stated you feel they are linked.

However, I will accept that you weren’t the first to bring it up in that thread. It looks like it was @terley who was trying to make the link more so than you were originally.

I still maintain that trying to suggest a stabbing is terrorism related with no extra evidence to support this is you trying to set the agenda

Soldato
I am not so sure. Surely events of the last few weeks have shown that filming the emergency services is sometimes a pretty good idea?

I get where you are coming from, I find it incredibly insensitive and uncomfortable, but the best that you or I should do is just not watch it.

someone filming an arrest

and someone filming someone receiving immediate medical attention is totally different!

Associate
I honestly don't think that is a good idea. Locking people up "to teach them a lesson" tends to lead to more problems than it solves. Locking people up because they have broken a law is probably a better option don't you think?

Is it really though? If it's something that the majority of the population would consider to be deplorable to stand there filming it, then surely it would be the right thing to do?

Perhaps some kind of public disorder offense for being so morally bankrupt as to stand there filming it.

After all, a lot of laws only exist because we consider the act they are protecting against to be morally wrong.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
someone filming an arrest

and someone filming someone receiving immediate medical attention is totally different!

Well one could lead to the other fairly quickly. You effectively make it really easy for the police to cover up something. "Stop filming, this person is in distress and needs medical attention."

Is it really though? If it's something that the majority of the population would consider to be deplorable to stand there filming it, then surely it would be the right thing to do?

Perhaps some kind of public disorder offense for being so morally bankrupt as to stand there filming it.

After all, a lot of laws only exist because we consider the act they are protecting against to be morally wrong.

If the law changes to make it illegal, then sure, arrest away (though I am not entirely sure that is should be made illegal).

Being morally bankrupt isn't a criminal offence (for which so many politicians are probably really grateful).

Locking someone up because of something you think is morally wrong rather than legally wrong is not a great place to be. Different people have very different views on morality.

I think it is pretty disgusting, so I am not going to seek out or watch the video.

Soldato
Someone in here has gone full tropic thunder. And it ain't the OP.

Tell me about it. Trying to associate a stabbing with terrorism. It would be funny if it wasn’t true!

Too many people live too far away from crime, and that’s great. However they have to realise that stabbings happen, every day. Mass stabbings happen, often. And they have nothing to do with terrroism.
Those who try to link these stabbings with terrorism, based on nothing but their desired narrative do nothing but promote segregation.

Associate
Well one could lead to the other fairly quickly. You effectively make it really easy for the police to cover up something. "Stop filming, this person is in distress and needs medical attention."

If the law changes to make it illegal, then sure, arrest away (though I am not entirely sure that is should be made illegal).

Being morally bankrupt isn't a criminal offence (for which so many politicians are probably really grateful).

Locking someone up because of something you think is morally wrong rather than legally wrong is not a great place to be. Different people have very different views on morality.

I think it is pretty disgusting, so I am not going to seek out or watch the video.

But we do that every single day...

A vast majority of our laws exist based upon our collective morality. We've been locking people up because we believe what they did is morally wrong, for hundreds of years.

Caporegime
BLM protest held on field. Mass stabbing occurs on same field on same day. "Possible terrorist attack"

"OMG you massive racist! How dare you link the two? Are you saying black people are violent? Oh my god guys, I'm so angry I've knocked over my bottle of Soylent!"

Jesus Christ, what a drip.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
But we do that every single day...

A vast majority of our laws exist based upon our collective morality. We've been locking people up because we beleive what they did is morally wrong, for hundreds of years.

Yes, but we have a process for doing that. So far that process hasn't been followed. If it is, then we have a new offence. But I would be really careful with such a law as it could very easily be abused.

Associate
Yes, but we have a process for doing that. So far that process hasn't been followed. If it is, then we have a new offence. But I would be really careful with such a law as it could very easily be abused.

I don't really see how it can be abused, nor to what end?

Pretty simple to put in place a law which says "No filming of victims / patients" - what I find worse tbh, is the idea that we would need to in the first place... but it seems some people's moral compass is very broken.

Associate
I live in Reading on the outskirts and certainly not anywhere near where this incident happened. Police are still searching the area for something. There were two helicopters flying around earlier this evening and there is still one hovering about a mile from my house at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom