The salary question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
It doesnt matter what everyones salary is anyway, for the next 1000 years taxes will skyrocket to pay for Coronavirus / furlough payouts. Earn any sort of good money and you'll kiss goodbye to at least half of it!

Might consider moving to another country if/when that happens
I'm not sure many countries are going to come out of it rolling in cash.

Soldato
It doesnt matter what everyones salary is anyway, for the next 1000 years taxes will skyrocket to pay for Coronavirus / furlough payouts. Earn any sort of good money and you'll kiss goodbye to at least half of it!

Yep, very true. Not sure it'll be all that much better in other countries, though.

Soldato
Myself or my friends have never had a problem discussing how much we earn if the subject comes up, some earn more than twice as others but it's a not an issue.

Caporegime
When you exceed 120k you don't even get your base rate tax free allowance, but again it's not particularly something to moan about if you're in that situation, although I do know plenty that do but that's another story.

indeed. I have worked for a lot of wealthy people in my years and in my experience they always moan about tax despite paying the least amount possible. My old boss used to "earn" out of his business around £300k per annum and pay around £42k in tax and you think it was it the end of the world the amount of tax he had to pay.

Caporegime
I don't know how anyone works 12+ hour days in a job that requires you to be mentally focused. I have to do a fair bit of reading and processing of information in my role and I'm pretty much done after 6.

Not surprised people are smashing the bevvies in every evening!

That fits my old boss. He used to work 80+ hours per week, sometimes Sundays so he definitely deserved the £300k he paid himself. But both his kids grew up hardly seeing him. When they were young he would have left for work before they got up (6 am ) and not returned home until after they had gone to bed (after 7pm every day) . He always worked all day Saturday so his only family time was Sundays (if he wasnt working). Yes he owns a home worth millions and has Aventadors and is a multi millionaire but he will never got that lost time back with his kids.

Soldato

You'd hope now would finally be the time to rebalance things a bit, tax wealth, land & scrap the triple lock. Hey i can dream can't I?

Soldato
Myself or my friends have never had a problem discussing how much we earn if the subject comes up, some earn more than twice as others but it's a not an issue.
It might be an issue for your friends who walk away knowing you earn twice as much as them ;):p

Soldato
If two people are having a conversation and disclose their salaries you can guarantee 100% that one of them will walk away feeling aggrieved. It's human nature and therefore I will never discuss mine.

I’ve never given a flying **** what anyone earns. I never voluntarily say what I earn but will tell if someone asks. Makes no difference to me

Caporegime
dosnt feel like it at the moment ;) bottling Gin 4.5 days a week ,would have normally turned the assignment down but so many people out of work thought i had better ,dont like eating savings but its nice knowing i dont have to
You definitely need to cut that down. It won't make you feel better despite seeming like it does.

Caporegime
Not talking about salary only helps the employers pay the minimal salary possible. You should share your salary widely, especially with coworkers so you can all maximize your take home.

There is s difference between being open and bragging.

Soldato
It's a strange one. In the UK as a teacher pretty much everyone knows what you get unless you get into leadership and then it gets a bit murky with different levels. I was at the top end of the upper pay scale with a pretty decent teaching and learning responsibility added on for good measure.

I left to work in the middle east last year and now earn more than I did in the UK with the added bonus that its tax free!

That translates to a considerable pay rise for me.

Soldato
Yes.

The 3 close friends I know that all have nice houses and nice cars. None of them are in debt or have leased their vehicles. Yes its possible to be wealthy and not have these things, but i'm obviously giving my experience.
That doesn’t make it easier to calculate an income base solely on their house or cars, though. Money is cheap so people can easily get into cars (for example) that they wouldn’t otherwise have been able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom