What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
I don't think, in my honest opinion, the two phrases are the same.

I disagree with the blame by implication of the silence thing, it's hyperbolic and emotive.

But, how do we describe the phenomenon that white people on average do better than non whites?

It's a simple description of something that exists, not a call to arms or political slogan.

A bit like

"how do we describe the phenomenon that rich people on average do better than poor people in X?"

"how do we describe the phenomenon that Sunnis on average do better than Shias in Saudi Arabia?"

"how do we describe the phenomenon that middle-class people on average do better than working-class people in the UK?"

"how do we describe the phenomenon that Asians on average do better than Black people?"

I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but in general, it's an oversimplification to put the blame on white people as there are deeper issues here - one that affects all of us, or to claim white privilege is as big as it is as it's the main reason why certain groups are held back.

Soldato
Those "race races" are cliche AF. The C4 one was even more cliched.

You could go to a UK council estate catchment school and ask the same questions and get a field full of spread out kids.
The issue is the conclusion. Those kids are starting from the back because they were underprivileged, not because the others have been overprivelaged. The underprivelage stems from ghettoisation and a lack of parental presence more prevelant in African American communities. Frankly there is not a lot the other kids can do about that. They could not run the race but that would be self defeating.

Soldato
https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-fight-for-english-9780199207640?cc=gb&lang=en&

Its is just as possessive as cat's, but it doesn't have an apostrophe. Why not? Because the printers and grammarians never thought the matter through. They applied their rule to nouns and forgot about pronouns, thus creating an exception (along with the food is hers, ours, yours, theirs) without realising it. And even if they had noticed, they wouldn't have done anything about it, for it's was already taken, as it were, as the abbreviation of it is.

Soldato
The person you quoted has already explained - there’s not a physical child that is actually being demeaned by referring to it as it.

Ok, but imagine saying to a parent 'Oh that's so cute, is that it's favourite toy to sleep with.' versus using 'their'. They both convey the same thing, and are grammatically correct, but one is likely to upset someone.

Caporegime
Lol calling a human "it" is a brilliant way to start a disagreement in my book too.

Yes it's deeply disrespectful, even if grammatically acceptable. Lol I can't stop laughing

.i guess it's correct in a gender neutral language.... Lol

Soldato
Ok, but imagine saying to a parent 'Oh that's so cute, is that it's favourite toy to sleep with.' versus using 'their'. They both convey the same thing, and are grammatically correct, but one is likely to upset someone.

Are you legitimately offended on behalf of something that doesn't exist?

That's a new one.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Im not sure I buy into white privilege either. I’m Chinese but was born in England, of course I’ve suffered from racism through my life but I can’t say I’ve ever felt disadvantaged in any way. Occasionally felt humiliated or hurt, generally not bothered but never disadvantaged
In the U.K. being Chinese seems to be an advantage, at least when it comes earnings. Highest median incomes of any ethnic group. Maybe white privilege isn’t all it has cracked up to be...

Man of Honour
Everyone has suffered discrimination or bullying at some point in their lives, most just try harder and never give up others go on marches shouting 'it's not fair' .

What makes you think these are two seperate groups of people? What makes you think people who've faced discrimination and bullying aren't the ones on the street trying to ensure it doesn't happen to others?

I honestly think that most people in the UK aren't racist and judge on character, which because of socioeconomic issues some BAME people lack.

Most people aren't racist fullstop. What kind of socioecominic issue would lead to a BAME person not being able to judge someone's charecter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom