HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
They could totally dominate both markets, if they wished, for not that much more investment. A G2 headset is already developed, licence that, then make it work with their own ecosystem. Almost all would buy that, and that still leaves Quest/Quest 2 to dominate the standalone market.

They have the resources - this is Facebook after all.

Couldn't agree more, though Facebook have alienated some users with their gating of all social features via a Facebook account. I don't have a facebook account for various reasons, though mainly for privacy. My beef with using facebook for social features is it requires your real name to be visible to your friends list. I like to keep my gaming profile separate from my real-life profile. Saves having trolls doxxing you or following you around the net hassling you.

Soldato
It would be great if you could just buy a headset and controllers separately from any manufacturer and use them on any platform. Just like any other PC peripheral. Maybe one day.
you basically can, you just need Bluetooth dongles for the controllers and a piece of software called OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator, you can then use Steam controllers with oculus or WMR headsets

Associate
you basically can, you just need Bluetooth dongles for the controllers and a piece of software called OpenVR-SpaceCalibrator, you can then use Steam controllers with oculus or WMR headsets

Yeah. I know. I'd be worried about spending the cash on the knuckles and lighthouses only for the hack to stop working.

Soldato
As I suspected looks like an excellent headset marred by relatively poor controllers (doesn't quite chime in with the 'no compromises' claim!). This headset with Index or Oculus controllers and the tracking systems and software behind them would probably be the best on the market. I know you can hack together a system so you can use the Index controllers, but by all accounts it's not a simple process, and not especially reliable. Plus it all costs more than an Index.

It also suffers from the same issues that Rift S and Quest had at launch, where it can't reliably track the controllers if they're close to the headset. That's a big problem for military sims or other gun games if you aim down sights. Oculus managed to fix that, but it took a lot of work.

There's a great article about how they optimised the Oculus inside-out tracking system here:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/increasing-fidelity-with-constellation-tracked-controllers/

Associate
As I suspected looks like an excellent headset marred by relatively poor controllers (doesn't quite chime in with the 'no compromises' claim!). This headset with Index or Oculus controllers and the tracking systems and software behind them would probably be the best on the market. I know you can hack together a system so you can use the Index controllers, but by all accounts it's not a simple process, and not especially reliable. Plus it all costs more than an Index.

It also suffers from the same issues that Rift S and Quest had at launch, where it can't reliably track the controllers if they're close to the headset. That's a big problem for military sims or other gun games if you aim down sights. Oculus managed to fix that, but it took a lot of work.

There's a great article about how they optimised the Oculus inside-out tracking system here:
https://developer.oculus.com/blog/increasing-fidelity-with-constellation-tracked-controllers/

The MRTV guy just did a video on tracking and it was fine up to 2" from the headset. He tried a bunch of guns in Pavlov and it was a non issue. I don't doubt that the Index controllers are better, but it doesn't appear to be marred by relatively poor tracking at all.

Soldato
The MRTV guy just did a video on tracking and it was fine up to 2" from the headset. He tried a bunch of guns in Pavlov and it was a non issue. I don't doubt that the Index controllers are better, but it doesn't appear to be marred by relatively poor tracking at all.

yeah, his aim looked a bit wobbly in places, but that was more from the fact he wasn't using a noobtube/protube type of thing which steadies your aim a whole lot better than trying to go free hand

Soldato

Compared to the Index, CV1 and even the Rift S and Quest the WMR controllers are relatively poor - worse battery life, no capacitive touch (this is the biggest downside), and issues with tracking close up. Sebastian at MRTV is a great VR advocate but he has been known to miss issues with other headsets.

Don't get me wrong, the G2 looks to be an incredible headset, especially for sims, but all current headsets have compromises or issues. The Index with bad lens glare, a uncomfortable button and stick layout, and controller reliability issues; the Rift S with no IPD adjust, poor sound, and an 80hz panel, and the Quest with bad comfort, low power graphics, and fragile controllers (same there for the Rift S too).

I guess we'll know for sure how good the controllers are when they are out in the wild. The Index, Quest and Rift S controller issues didn't become apparent until lots of people started using them. Reviewers completely missed the Index stick click problem for example.

Soldato
Compared to the Index, CV1 and even the Rift S and Quest the WMR controllers are relatively poor - worse battery life, no capacitive touch (this is the biggest downside), and issues with tracking close up

I think the most personally annoying thing about the WMR controllers is that they don’t work nicely with normal 1.2v Nimh rechargeable batts which makes the battery life all the more annoying... if you don’t get rechargeable you’ll burn through batteries like crazy, if you do get rechargeable you pretty much have to get NiZn which require a relatively exotic and accordingly expensive charger. The only reputable charger I can find is around £30, so with a pack of 8 batteries you’re looking at £40-45.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the most personally annoying thing about the WMR controllers is that they don’t work nicely with normal 1.2v Nimh rechargeable batts which makes the battery life all the more annoying... if you don’t get rechargeable you’ll burn through batteries like crazy, if you do get rechargeable you pretty much have to get NiZn which require a relatively exotic and accordingly expensive charger. The only reputable charger I can find is around £30, so with a pack of 8 batteries you’re looking at £40-45.

No idea about batteries, and I'll mostly be simming, but are you saying my usual Panasonic eneloops will be no good for these controllers? Think they are NiMH right? What do you mean by 'not work nicely'?

Associate
The typical 1.2v batteries do technically work, but very quickly (in as little as 15mins apparently) show low battery warnings and go into power saving with no haptics and reduced tracking accuracy.

Poor electronic design if you ask me! Add a boost converter chip for a few cents :rolleyes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I'm coming from the quest, where I need to briefly use a controller to start Oculus link, and start playing a game. With the G2, will a controller actually be necessary for me if all I play is sim games?

Soldato
I have no prior experience with WMR specifically (I went CV1 then Quest) so there could be some requirement that I’m not aware of.

Generally speaking though once you are all set up with boundaries and whatnot I think it would just depend on the game. For all the sims I can think of you wouldn’t need to use the motion controller... You just obviously would have to launch the game from the desktop Steam client rather than from inside steam VR or the wmr cliff house.

For example when using my old CV1 to play PC2, you could just plug in the headset, launch the game from desktop steam client, choose launch in VR option and then it’d all fire up and you can control everything using the game controller input or keyboard/mouse from there on anyway. Make sure you have a control bind to recenter VR view.

So basically as long as there is no WMR peculiarity I’m not aware of, and the sim of choice has a menu in VR that can be navigated via other means, I don’t think you’d need to use the motion controllers much outside of initial Play space setup if you so choose (and not even sure if wmr strictly requires it for that - perhaps someone who has used it can chime in on that front).

Soldato
I'm coming from the quest, where I need to briefly use a controller to start Oculus link, and start playing a game. With the G2, will a controller actually be necessary for me if all I play is sim games?

Nope. Based on Gen 1, start a game, WMR and Steam VR open up and detect the headset. You may have to wake the headset up, but controllers aren't required.

Associate
Nope. Based on Gen 1, start a game, WMR and Steam VR open up and detect the headset. You may have to wake the headset up, but controllers aren't required.

Thanks, and also thanks to @Zeeflyboy. So controllers are pretty much a non-issue for me, still got the Quest where they might be a problem, although it will probably be jarring moving to the lower res, lower refresh screen I guess

Soldato
although it will probably be jarring moving to the lower res, lower refresh screen I guess

As soon as you try a G2, there's no way you'll want to go back to the screen door, move backwards away from the comfortable facial and head strap, and the audio that'll blow your mind compared to the Quest.

The G2 was sold on me to back up the Index, purely because it wasn't a step back to mediocrity. If i could bare to have gone back, i would have dusted off the Vive.

Back
Top Bottom