HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Associate
Tempted to sell my rift s, i had a pain in the ass with mine getting it to connect before i purchased a USB3 pci card, worried selling on ebay somebody will buy it and have the same problem and blame the headset.

Associate
I'm also wondering, if you plug in via usbc do you also have to plug in the display port? Hoping not as mine are already both in use...

Surely you need the display port to display the output from your graphics card. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that it can be hooked up to both USB C or USB3 and also if your USB can't cope with the power draw, there's a power brick.

Soldato
Looks like a great headset compromised by poor controllers, and an awful platform (WMR) again.

Not a problem for sims, but the lack of capacitive touch is an immersion breaker for many games, and WMR tracking seems better but I doubt it's as good as Oculus Insight tracking.

Honestly this headset is what the Rift S should have been, with Oculus ecosystem, controllers and tracking I would have picked this up over the Index.

Associate
Surely you need the display port to display the output from your graphics card. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that it can be hooked up to both USB C or USB3 and also if your USB can't cope with the power draw, there's a power brick.

Ah wasn't sure - hoped the usb-c on the gfx card could be used for power and output? So usb-c is purely there to give it juice?

Looks like a great headset compromised by poor controllers, and an awful platform (WMR) again.

Not a problem for sims, but the lack of capacitive touch is an immersion breaker for many games, and WMR tracking seems better but I doubt it's as good as Oculus Insight tracking.

Honestly this headset is what the Rift S should have been, with Oculus ecosystem, controllers and tracking I would have picked this up over the Index.

Seems the index controllers can be fudged to work with this one. If it was officially supported would be a great alternative. Might be an expensive punt though if you got them and found the fudge stopped working down the road...

Soldato
No it’s not got a VirtualLink sadly... would have been nice to see a VirtualLink cable and then a breakout box for those that don’t have an appropriate GPU port.

I wonder if we’ll ever see a mainstream headset with it! Seems no manufacturer is very interested...

Soldato

I’ve never used it. With the steam for WMR module is the platform still an issue? What is the problem with it? I suppose one could hope that the renewed interest in WMR as a result of this headset might spur MS to put some more resources into developing it further.

The controllers certainly look much better, the old WMR ones look positively awful. I wonder if the drift he saw will be an issue, certainly saw a lot of people complaining about stick drift on index controllers so not got a whole lot of faith something like this will necessarily be ironed out before production.

The main issue I have with the controllers is the idiotic decision not to put a 20 cent boost converter in there which means 1.2v Nimh isn’t a good option and you have to go for more exotic solutions if you want rechargeable batteries.

Time will tell I suppose, I’ve never not had capacitive touch as I went CV1 to Quest but I’m not expecting it to be a big deal for me personally. Perhaps I may change my mind once I actually try controllers without it!

Majority of my time is racing or flying, but I do enjoy other games (loved Alyx for example and really looking forward to trying it with the G2) so I hope they work well enough.

Agreed, this headset with oculus features like ATW, ASW, touch controllers and native access to both steamVR and the Oculus store would be killer.

Pretty sure we’ll see an amazing headset from oculus within the next couple of years. FRL are doing some simply awesome work, if even just some of it finds its way into a near future headset it’ll rock socks!

Soldato
The issue with WMR is it's simply not as well developed a platform as Oculus and Steam VR. Oculus and Valve are continually improving their software platform, while WMR has been pretty much abandoned until this headset arrived.

The controllers do seem much better than the 1st Gen WMR and it's good that we're gradually arriving at a common button and stick layout based off Oculus Touch (even the Index has approximately the same layout, though the trackpad gets in the way).

No capacitive touch though is a big issue for me. Tyriel was saying in the video that in games that use the finger sensing his thumb is up all the time. In multiplayer games the ability to do gestures like thumbs up, pointing and waving really adds to the social interactivity, plus games like Lone Echo are so immersive then the in-game fingers approximately mimic what your real fingers are doing.

Some games even use the gestures in gameplay. Asgards Wrath (an Oculus exclusive, but you can play it on revive) uses a thumbs up to gesture approval to your companion, and you can also give them a high-five. Aperture Hand Lab has you playing a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors using finger sensing.

I'm surprised with Valve's involvment that this wasn't a native Steam VR headset, or that there isn't a Steam VR lighthouse tracking add-on so you could use it properly with the lighthouses and vive/index controllers without hacks.

Associate
The issue with WMR is it's simply not as well developed a platform as Oculus and Steam VR. Oculus and Valve are continually improving their software platform, while WMR has been pretty much abandoned until this headset arrived.

Does the WMR platform really matter when we can use Steam and Revive anyway? That's all we plan to use. If the Index controllers get some sort of official support rather than a fudge that may not last forever, then maybe I'll get them next year for the capacitive and finger tracking. But I suppose Valve want to hold on to that, gives their own headset a unique selling point. Less reason to buy an Index if the G2 could officially use the Index knuckles out of the box?

Last edited:
Associate
Why doesn't Oculus just make a G2 quality headset and use it with their own tracking/controller system? Then the best of all worlds would be achieved.

Feels like after pioneering the resurgence of VR a few years ago, Oculus are aiming for lower fidelity, lower price, pc-less market. Maybe hoping for the next Wii. Feels a bit like they are abandoning the niche enthusiast market, at least for now.

Soldato
Feels like after pioneering the resurgence of VR a few years ago, Oculus are aiming for lower fidelity, lower price, pc-less market. Maybe hoping for the next Wii. Feels a bit like they are abandoning the niche enthusiast market, at least for now.

They could totally dominate both markets, if they wished, for not that much more investment. A G2 headset is already developed, licence that, then make it work with their own ecosystem. Almost all would buy that, and that still leaves Quest/Quest 2 to dominate the standalone market.

They have the resources - this is Facebook after all.

Associate
They could totally dominate both markets, if they wished, for not that much more investment. A G2 headset is already developed, licence that, then make it work with their own ecosystem. Almost all would buy that, and that still leaves Quest/Quest 2 to dominate the standalone market.

It would be great if you could just buy a headset and controllers separately from any manufacturer and use them on any platform. Just like any other PC peripheral. Maybe one day.

Soldato

there have been quotes recently that their varifocal system is "nearly ready for primetime", that makes it sound like an actual Rift 2 could be on the way in the next year or so, this system also requires eye tracking, oculus already support fixed foveated rendering so they are primed for dynamic as well, sounds like a big bump in resolution is also feasible

Back
Top Bottom