HP Reverb G2 uk release date?

Soldato
As soon as you try a G2, there's no way you'll want to go back to the screen door, move backwards away from the comfortable facial and head strap, and the audio that'll blow your mind compared to the Quest.

I think that's the case with PC VR, but the Quest is primarily a portable platform, and in that case I'm happy to exchange visual fidelity and performance for wireless and the ability to do VR away from my PC. I definitely couldn't go back to my CV1 from using the Index though...

Soldato
This headset + Index controllers would have been amazing.
I've heard its possible with some steam controller dongles potentially?

I personally can't use the Index at its full fat FOV because I have to use prescription glasses so this headset REALLY intrigues me more than it should. If if really does work flawlessly with the Index controllers, I'll sidegrade and sell my Index headset.

Soldato
For anyone after the NiZn rechargeables, if you search for PKCELL AA NiZn on a certain well known Chinese express website you can find a charger/batt combo for a little over a tenner for 4x AA or £17 for 8x.

Soldato

So it looks like the tracking is better than standard WMR (as it should be with two extra cameras).

Interesting comments below the video about haptic support - WMR controllers don't use the same types of actuators as Index or Oculus Touch, so it's likely haptics won't be as good. Not a problem if you're simming though. It does look amazing for that.

Associate
Yes I am thinking of purchasing the HP Reverb when its ready. However, I think my system and especially the GPU, will not be powerful enough. Microsoft Flightsim 2020 will be compatible with the Reverb and will be awesome to use in VR. I think my CPU, Ram and SSDs will be ok with the Reverb, but not the GPU?
My system listed below. Any views please.

Soldato
You might need to use half res mode. I'm worried my 2070 super won't be enough.

My 1080Ti runs Project Cars 2 in VR on low settings pretty well. (136% SS, high textures, medium track and car detail, low particles,....all else is set to potato) Your 2070S is about as strong, so it will "work" on some level.

Associate
My 1080Ti runs Project Cars 2 in VR on low settings pretty well. (136% SS, high textures, medium track and car detail, low particles,....all else is set to potato) Your 2070S is about as strong, so it will "work" on some level.

Are you running a Reverb or Index though, or something lower Res?

I'm most keen on getting AC working well, but also RF2, and AMS2 (which will probably work as well as PC2).

Soldato
Are you running a Reverb or Index though, or something lower Res?

I'm most keen on getting AC working well, but also RF2, and AMS2 (which will probably work as well as PC2).

Oh, sorry. I'm running a Reverb G1. I've tried AMS2 and it also works well. I haven't tried AC since I got my Reverb though. (The VR interface in AC was not good when I tried it a couple years ago with my CV1.)

Soldato
Yes I am thinking of purchasing the HP Reverb when its ready. However, I think my system and especially the GPU, will not be powerful enough. Microsoft Flightsim 2020 will be compatible with the Reverb and will be awesome to use in VR. I think my CPU, Ram and SSDs will be ok with the Reverb, but not the GPU?
My system listed below. Any views please.

You have a good system overall, and it will run most VR games fine - the only question is what settings you have to run at. The reverb isn't actually going to be particularly more demanding than the index in terms of performance as the base 100% steam render resolutions are actually similar (due to the wider FOV and the way the lenses work the index has to render a higher pixel density to correct for lens distortions, plus perhaps they are doing some super sampling to help offset the lower physical resolution).

For context the index 100% setting in steam is 2016x2440 while the reverb renders 2208x2160 - the index is actually a higher target resoution than the reverb!

For FS2020 obviously it remains to be seen how well optimised the VR mode will be, but I imagine you will be ok at mediumish settings... you can also reduce render resolution/increase sharpening in game if needed. On high/ultra settings some are pretty CPU intensive which will probably nail your 6700k when trying to hit 90hz, you will also find 16gb ram gets gobbled up straight away (I've seen it hit 24gb in some areas). Really we need to see how good a job they do of optimising it specifically for VR though before you'll know how well you can run it... I'm pretty confident to say that you will be able to run well though with the right settings.

Associate
Oh, sorry. I'm running a Reverb G1. I've tried AMS2 and it also works well. I haven't tried AC since I got my Reverb though. (The VR interface in AC was not good when I tried it a couple years ago with my CV1.)

Thanks. Good to know. I use AC with Content Manager, Sol, and loads of mods. I believe using CM with virtual desktop to launch AC VR is the way to go.

Soldato
Thanks. Good to know. I use AC with Content Manager, Sol, and loads of mods. I believe using CM with virtual desktop to launch AC VR is the way to go.

I'm spoiled with PC1 and 2 as well as AMS2.

I tell steam to run as steam vr, then get up from my desk, sit down in my rig, and do *everything* using the controls on my wheel. (I haven't used my VR hand controllers in months.) Heck, I could even use gaze control if I wanted and do everything by just staring at the selections I want for a moment and I'm off.

Soldato
Looking at the through the lens video the G2 definitely looks sharper in the centre, but it looks like the lenses are not as good, given some rays and chromatic abberation around the edges. There's a definite trade off there. Maybe that's just an artefact of using a camera down the lens, but I'd really want to get hands on with one. Elite is a game that really shows off rays really badly due to those high contrast bright lights on a dark background so I'd want to have a go and see how it handles it. The text looks lovely though.

Soldato
Looking at the through the lens video the G2 definitely looks sharper in the centre, but it looks like the lenses are not as good, given some rays and chromatic abberation around the edges. There's a definite trade off there. Maybe that's just an artefact of using a camera down the lens, but I'd really want to get hands on with one. Elite is a game that really shows off rays really badly due to those high contrast bright lights on a dark background so I'd want to have a go and see how it handles it. The text looks lovely though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what actual users think of the G2. Most of the different headset issues have only really become apparent when they are in users hands.

For example a lot of Index reviews didn't mention how bad the lens glare was, and it's easily the worst thing about the headset. Some reviews did mention it - Tested for example - but it wasn't made apparent just how bad it was, especially given that the Index is supposed to be a premium headset.

I was surprised when i got my Index that the lens glare was that bad. I was expecting some, but it really was distracting. You do get used to it after a while though, and I've never found it an issue in Elite.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to seeing what actual users think of the G2. Most of the different headset issues have only really become apparent when they are in users hands.

For example a lot of Index reviews didn't mention how bad the lens glare was, and it's easily the worst thing about the headset. Some reviews did mention it - Tested for example - but it wasn't made apparent just how bad it was, especially given that the Index is supposed to be a premium headset.

I was surprised when i got my Index that the lens glare was that bad. I was expecting some, but it really was distracting. You do get used to it after a while though, and I've never found it an issue in Elite.
The last headset I've owned was a CV1, so pretty much anything is an improvement from there. I'm lucky enough to be able to get hands on with most VR headsets at work though, albeit more briefly so never long enough to decide if it's comfy for long sessions. I actually didn't think the index was too bad on lens glare (coming from a CV1 here), but felt that the "sweet spot" for headset positioning was really quite small and it didn't take much to throw your nice image into a blurry mess if you didn't have a good fit. So yeah, those little things you notice when you really get hands on, or especially when you live with it for a while, are what really make a headset imo.

Soldato

Oh god. Amazing point. Tested the only reviewer who showed us the glare issue, and now Tested are the only reviewer who highlights the G2 maybe not being the perfect VR headset.

Sadly MRTV and the smaller channels seem to go OTT with any new VR headset.

Soldato
Tyriel Wood dropped on the F-reality podcast this last week with lots to say about the G2. Lots of interesting information, mainly for myself what he had to say about the lenses in comparison to the Index.

I was happy to be getting one before, but to hear him say that it be the one he uses unless it comes to games that require the extra you get from the Index controllers, the excitement has ramped up a little.

Back
Top Bottom