Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Associate
I'm reasonably sure Nokia then sold them again...

Yes they did apparently and i think as i recall at a massive loss hens the shoddy customer support and money worries "Nokia has announced plans to sell its struggling health tech business back to Éric Carreel, co-founder of Withings, the French startup Nokia bought in 2016. Terms of the deal have not been announced, but the Finnish tech giant is surely taking a substantial loss on the sale.2 May 2018" from the verge.
Trust pilot Rating: 1.7. there are countless redit threads about the company i would not buy of them if there products was on sale for 70% off.

Associate
Which is a shame as I have three of their products and they're fantastic. Thankfully I've not needed their customer service...

Sadly its not just customer service. some hardware i think it was there scales had hardware problems, which then turned out to be a customer nightmare ie people having products that did not work for months on end. people speaking to customer support then being sent replacements only to get charged inport duty from customs. loads of instances tbh. From what i can gather they was a wonderful company when they was a smaller company had brilliant support ect but also they grew and dint beef up support to match and had qc problems at some point. anyhow its a real shame as they do lovely gear.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes.

I've just bought myself a Honor 5 band as it gets good reviews and is adequate for what I need. However, I installed the health app and was then informed that I'd have to install Huawei Mobile Services as well before it would work. To use HMS I have to make a Huawei ID account and give the app all sorts of permissions which I'm a bit wary about doing. I mean, why does a health app need access to my contacts etc and I don't want to keep any data in the cloud. I thought I'd only have to install one app but it seems you have to go through several hoops to make it work now. Anyone else using this ok? Am I being too paranoid about what I'm signing up for?

Soldato
Got a really annoying quirk with my Ticwatch. Not sure if this is a Wear OS thing or specific to the Ticwatch.

I get the the notification on the watch that prompts me that 11 app updates are available. When I go into the Play Store, there are only 4 updates available. Sometimes I get the notification that x number of updates are available, go into the Play Store and it lists no updates available.

Anyone else come across this before?

Soldato
Been debating a smart watch for a while now, and today bit the bullet, as the discount was too good to miss. Managed to get a Garmin 4S for £179! I know it's more of a health tracker, but that's what I'll be using it for also, and it has everything I was looking for, own GPS, music storage, 7 day battery life etc.

Associate
Been debating a smart watch for a while now, and today bit the bullet, as the discount was too good to miss. Managed to get a Garmin 4S for £179! I know it's more of a health tracker, but that's what I'll be using it for also, and it has everything I was looking for, own GPS, music storage, 7 day battery life etc.

Nice one . i never realised how handy a smart watch was until i had one, i could never be without one now hehe.
Let us know how you get on with it.

Soldato
Got a really annoying quirk with my Ticwatch. Not sure if this is a Wear OS thing or specific to the Ticwatch.

I get the the notification on the watch that prompts me that 11 app updates are available. When I go into the Play Store, there are only 4 updates available. Sometimes I get the notification that x number of updates are available, go into the Play Store and it lists no updates available.

Anyone else come across this before?
My Ticwatch S shadow did this, I just leave it plugged in all night and it updates over night no problems.a couple of restarted later and it's all done. But then I don't run many apps on the watch. Just stock + Strava and Spotify.

Caporegime
Well Amazon delivered the above watch last night and for £41 (with no other experience to compare to), I'm thoroughly impressed.

dYnVTrdh.jpg

40jPMnch.jpg

Turns out my deep sleep isn't that great (I'm assuming) with 1hr 40 mins out of 6hrs 52 mins total.

Edit: apparently this is normal.

Associate
Well Amazon delivered the above watch last night and for £41 (with no other experience to compare to), I'm thoroughly impressed.

dYnVTrdh.jpg

40jPMnch.jpg

Turns out my deep sleep isn't that great (I'm assuming) with 1hr 40 mins out of 6hrs 52 mins total.

Edit: apparently this is normal.
That is a lot more than i get but looking into it as long as you have resonaly long REM and somewhat longish deep. that is fine

Soldato
Anybody have an update pushed out to there Samsung S3 frontier watch today?

Seems to have added Bixby app to the watch, plus a few other updates.
However, Bixby app doesn't seem to work, can't activate it via speech, which kind of defeats the object of it!

Associate
Anybody have an update pushed out to there Samsung S3 frontier watch today?

Seems to have added Bixby app to the watch, plus a few other updates.
However, Bixby app doesn't seem to work, can't activate it via speech, which kind of defeats the object of it!

There will be several apps to install for bixby and a few permissions which pop up several times before its installed properly. also you then have to allow it to work via talking to it via the settings i think . as i can remember anyhow

Associate
Need some recommendations. I'm looking at the Galaxy watch (1st one) or the Fossil Gen 5.

From what I see, tyzen is the better OS for functionality and the Galaxy has the better battery. The only thing I would miss out on is Google Pay (my bank does not support Samsung Pay).

Soldato
Need some recommendations. I'm looking at the Galaxy watch (1st one) or the Fossil Gen 5.

From what I see, tyzen is the better OS for functionality and the Galaxy has the better battery. The only thing I would miss out on is Google Pay (my bank does not support Samsung Pay).

There is a new chipset due out for Wear OS very soon.

Back
Top Bottom