Refreshed iMacs inbound

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'd not seen them before - just registered. Have you used them previously I assume...?

I haven't, but they keep getting recommended on hotukdeals whenever there is a discussion on Mac pricing.

The pricing is really good and 4 year warranty is quiet a nice bonus.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I was just looking at the pricing. 64Gb 16" MBP/1TB SSD for nearly 600 quid cheaper than the Apple Edu Store?

I can see they have a fair bit to do with Westcoast too - used those a lot via work. About 400 million turnover. Cool, so they're not a fly by night :) Also looks like you can have multiple purchases which you can't through the Apple Edu store. 1 per education term.

Caporegime
Is the Apple Silicon for getting rid of Intel only? They will still come with a Radeon GPU? And will the 'A' chip be fanless as it is in the mobile devices? I've been wanting to ditch my PC (and just use consoles for gaming, next-gen seems a good time to do so with their SSDs as the backbone) and get an Apple computer. I'm quite excited to see what unique things they can do with their 'A' chips...

Soldato
Yes, no more intel.

No one knows about the AMD situation, people suspect they’ll use their own GPUs in low end products but retain AMD for higher end.

I expect they will be fanless in the lower end products e.g. MacBook Air but less likely in higher end products like the Pro or iMac.

It’s all speculation either way, there hasn’t been any substantial leaks regarding physical designs yet as far as I am aware.

Soldato
Is the Apple Silicon for getting rid of Intel only? They will still come with a Radeon GPU? And will the 'A' chip be fanless as it is in the mobile devices? I've been wanting to ditch my PC (and just use consoles for gaming, next-gen seems a good time to do so with their SSDs as the backbone) and get an Apple computer. I'm quite excited to see what unique things they can do with their 'A' chips...

There's no technical reason for not using AMD GPUs. They might decide not to for business/compatibility/software reasons though. Unlike CPUs, Apple GPUs are still significantly behind AMD and Nvidia. But maybe Apple thinks they can close down the gap between their own GPUs and the typical AMD SKUs that go into current Macs.

Soldato
OP
My 10 core i9/16GB/5700(8GB)/Nano-Screen has landed and is in my hall.

New toys, yay.

Still only 2 TB3 ports though means it won't be replacing my iMac Pro.

Soldato
OP
Here you go. Benchmarks are pretty impressive.

2020--08-15Benchmarks.png

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Some observations from my 2020 iMac.

- You can no longer use SMC to set a lower idle fan RPM e.g. 950rpm. You are stuck with 1200rpm idle, which is too loud for me.
- Adding aftermarket RAM along side the Apple provided RAM will reduce speeds down to 2133. You can run the memory in single channel and get 2667. Not an issue if you replace the Apple memory with your own. I added 16GB Crucial memory to the 8Gb Apple memory and had the issue.

I opted to return mine because I'm sensitive to the fan noise.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

How many people are actually going to buy this? Never understood the need for an AIO machine unless you're severely cramped for space

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
How many people are actually going to buy this? Never understood the need for an AIO machine unless you're severely cramped for space

People don't "need" an AIO, but it's a very nice package. You can go with a Mac mini but by the time you've bought the LG Ultrafine 5K and the mouse and keyboard it's more expensive and worse.

Soldato
OP
I'm not cramped for space at all - I've another two 27" screens plugged in to my iMac Pro. Add in the 4 TB3 ports and it's a very capable setup.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Loads of space here, I have an iMac, this is my third and I’m sure it won’t be my last.

Out of curiousity, what makes you pick an iMac over a full on desktop? Or perhaps a laptop with monitor

Back
Top Bottom