• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It probably will happen. Its sad when only a few years ago £600,would get you the best gaming GPU of the generation,ie,a GTX980TI. Looks like what many of use feared would happen,when the Titan series legitimised luxury priced GPUs,and that mainstream/entry level gamers would start to also start gettin screwed over.

Let's see if the "mid-range" RTX3060 is between £400~£500.

Actually, I think the Titan proves that everyone has a value target of some sort. The "Got to 'pay to play' if you want the best" crowd are almost always talking about a card that isn't actually the "best". It's only the "best" within their chosen value window. The actual best is a Titain, but they don't spend their money on it because they don't think it's actually worth it to them.

I also think that there's a value line (somewhere) in the community at large. Up to the line (while still below it) is pride of ownership for having something expensive. Above that line is embarrassment for getting ripped off.

Soldato
if the RTX 3060 or 2160 or whatever it is going to be named launches at that price, I really hope the hall stays silent. Similar to this moment at 23:29.

It would be cool if he were to announce a $1500 3080 and the place erupts in laughter....then when he explains that he's serious, some people just get up and walk out.

Soldato
if the RTX 3060 or 2160 or whatever it is going to be named launches at that price, I really hope the hall stays silent. Similar to this moment at 23:29.

It depends how many whales they can harpoon this year. I like to see what will happen next year. I sincerely hope they actually don't start jacking up the mainstream more and more in price.

If £100~£200 extra was nothing,most mainstream gamers wouldn't be buying Ryzen 5 CPUs,etc.

Actually, I think the Titan proves that everyone has a value target of some sort. The "Got to 'pay to play' if you want the best" crowd are almost always talking about a card that isn't actually the "best". It's only the "best" within their chosen value window. The actual best is a Titain, but they don't spend their money on it because they don't think it's actually worth it to them.

I also think that there's a value line (somewhere) in the community at large. Up to the line (while still below it) is pride of ownership for having something expensive. Above that line is embarrassment for getting ripped off.

The problem is the entry level and mainstream are getting screwed over more and more. There is a reason why a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 are popular gaming GPUs because of price. It seems dGPUs are going off on their own trajectory. The issue,is that many mainstream gamers will just buy on price,but the problem is that these performance increases are coming with a price hike,so what people are actually getting is poorer performance jumps in the most popular segments.

This will start to hold back PC gaming more and more,especially if we are going to end up with a global recession over the next few years. People can moan about consoles all they like,but we had games like Crysis,and amazing mainstream GPUs such as the 8800GT in the past. Imagine if no 8800GT had been released,I suspect Crysis would have would have sold less copies.

Last edited:
Soldato

I made the point regarding embarrassment earlier in the thread, I am being genuinely honest when I say it's not finances that's holding me back (I just bought an OLED for £1500), I would be genuinely embarrassed to admit to anyone I know that I paid £1200+ for something that would have made the games I play run around 20% faster.

"And what difference would that make to your experience of the games?"

"Um...err..mmm... See that little number in the left hand upper corner..."

*Silence*

Each to their own, it's just not for me.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The problem is the entry level and mainstream are getting screwed over more and more. There is a reason why a Ryzen 5 or Core i5 are popular gaming GPUs because of price. It seems dGPUs are going off on their own trajectory. The issue,is that many mainstream gamers will just buy on price,but the problem is that these performance increases are coming with a price hike,so what people are actually getting is poorer performance jumps in the most popular segments.

I know. Its not just nostalgia, I recall many a time visiting OcUK and two maybe three competitors every other year to check out GPU's. I never once cringed at the asking prices of £100-200. Bought many. Every now and again I got a high end.

The last few generations though the mid range has become the ceiling of affordable commanding near £500.

Soldato
I know. Its not just nostalgia, I recall many a time visiting OcUK and two maybe three competitors every other year to check out GPU's. I never once cringed at the asking prices of £100-200. Bought many. Every now and again I got a high end.

The last few generations though the mid range has become the ceiling of affordable commanding near £500.

Well last year Nvidia got mining margins....with not much mining. Got to keep that endless margin growth up. It's the same reason PC games are getting more and more expensive. It's less about satisfying your customers,and more about satisfying the shareholders at any cost. So no passion for the consumer anymore,like these companies used to have. Its all money men and marketing who decides it all.

Soldato
I made the point regarding embarrassment earlier in the thread, I am being genuinely honest when I say it's not finances that's holding me back (I just bought an OLED for £1500), I would be genuinely embarrassed to admit to anyone I know that I paid £1200+ for something that would have made the games I play run around 20% faster.

*Silence*

I race cars as a hobby and my wife put me in my place years ago when I first got into the sport. I wanted to spend just over 1k on a Borla exhaust for my 350Z.

Her: "What will that do?"
Me: "-Sound cool and add *maybe* 5hp...if I spend hundreds more getting it tuned."
Her: "How much time will you pick up on a lap with 5 more hp?"
Me: "errmmm...a hundredth of a second mayyyybeeee?"
Her: "Didn't you say something about a an 'open diif' problem you were having?"
Me: "Well yeah, I bought the base model before I knew I would actually put it on a track, and the open diff is killing me on corner exists."
Her: "Well, how much time from that?"
Me: "A half a second, maybe a full second on some courses....But nobody will see or hear the differential."
Her: [just looks at me]

We ended up spending more money on a Quaife differential than we would have spent on the exhaust. (It wasn't about having the funds or not.)

The 2080Ti would have allowed me to turn up a few settings on my sims...it would have been the Borla conversation all over again.

Soldato

*Silence*

:confused: but you just bought an OLED.

"And what difference does it offer over your old TV"

"Um...err..mmm... you know the blacks, they're blacker."

*laughter*

:p

Caporegime

*laughter*

Hmm I'm not sure that's fair.

It's not about 5% blacker blacks.

It's about having blacks at all. I'm sitting here on an IPS and all IPS has horrible, horrible, IPS glow. There are no blacks with IPS.

OLED is the best of a bad bunch of current techs. We should have progressed beyond LCD years ago, but we've stalled something rotten.

Soldato
Hmm I'm not sure that's fair.

It's not about 5% blacker blacks.

It's about having blacks at all. I'm sitting here on an IPS and all IPS has horrible, horrible, IPS glow. There are no blacks with IPS.

OLED is the best of a bad bunch of current techs. We should have progressed beyond LCD years ago, but we've stalled something rotten.

It was a tongue in cheek remark.

I have a C9 55 as my monitor :)

Soldato

*laughter*

I do agree with your general point, and acknowledge you did say it was tongue in cheek. However, as @FoxEye says it wasn't an entirely fair comparison. Your post missed a couple of important factors:

1. The last sentence in my post that you quoted.

2. You can't guage an upgrade unless you know what I upgraded from. It was an LG43UJ630V. I'm not even sure blacker blacks would make the top 10 list of improvements from that TV.

Now, upgrading from a 1080ti to a 2080ti... Could we even name a list of 10 reasons why?

*laughter*

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom