**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

This has been working flawlessly for me since release, went to have a quick jaunt out and it's getting stuck on the screen after you press any key, just have the spinny wheel.

Left it for 20 mins and nothing, restarted, nothing, start as admin, nothing same result each time. Nothing has changed on my system since I last shut it down.

I've now uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it and again it just sits there doing nothing.

I think I might leave it uninstalled now until the first patch comes out. So glad I had this on gamepass.

I'd be interested to see how the Xbox handles it as top end PCs seem to be struggling at the upper end of graphics.

My brother bought it and has my old i5 3570k at 4.2ghz and a GTX 970... This game makes the i5 cry silicon tears at 100% usage, 30fps with drops to 5 or 1.

"It'll be good for a little bit longer, but will give you a leg-up into PC gaming" I said... So he buys the most demanding game since CRYSIS :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to see how the Xbox handles it as top end PCs seem to be struggling at the upper end of graphics.

My brother bought it and has my old i5 3570k at 4.2ghz and a GTX 970... This game makes the i5 cry silicon tears at 100% usage, 30fps with drops to 5 or 1.

"It'll be good for a little bit longer, but will give you a leg-up into PC gaming" I said... So he buys the most demanding game since CRYSIS :rolleyes:
Am surprised by that
I know mine an i7-8700k but it normally only being used by about 40% in this game and that with running a 2080ti..

I will check this again later to double check am right on this

Am surprised by that
I know mine an i7-8700k but it normally only being used by about 40% in this game and that with running a 2080ti..

I will check this again later to double check am right on this
To be honest I was a bit surprised it's that bad as well.. he's tried 1080p medium and gets about 30 FPS but horrible stuttering. He's running 1080p low at its smoother but looks awful. It.may need a dig through some settings. 1440p medium was about 25fps. The GPU sits at barely 20% usage on 1080p - 40% on 1440p.

Just had my first CTD 3 hours in my flight after 70 hours of flying Grrrrrr:mad:

:(

I think this game is just really really buggy still. Hopefully the upcoming first patch will fix some of these problems.

I just managed to play for over an hour without any CTD with the online features disabled. Even plugged my bluetooth dongle back in to use my wireless mouse mid-flight, didn't cause a crash. Then re-enabled the online features mid-flight and still didn't crash. So who knows. It just makes me anxious to invest time in it until I know that it won't crash. It's just too frustrating otherwise.

Will probably stick to playing the landing challenges for now.

To be honest I was a bit surprised it's that bad as well.. he's tried 1080p medium and gets about 30 FPS but horrible stuttering. He's running 1080p low at its smoother but looks awful. It.may need a dig through some settings. 1440p medium was about 25fps. The GPU sits at barely 20% usage on 1080p - 40% on 1440p.
I just quickly checked my CPU usage again..Seems to go from around 21% to 30%

6gd2SA4.jpg

We're going to see what happens with the new CPU releases and he may upgrade to something like a 3600 depending on prices.

I was looking at a 3770k as a step-up but it doesn't give much more from what I've seen.

I’ve got a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which might explain the average of 2-3 CTDs per session (1-2 hrs). Really need a patch to sort out the crazy loading times, CTDs and the X52 not having a preset profile.

:(

I think this game is just really really buggy still. Hopefully the upcoming first patch will fix some of these problems.

I just managed to play for over an hour without any CTD with the online features disabled. Even plugged my bluetooth dongle back in to use my wireless mouse mid-flight, didn't cause a crash. Then re-enabled the online features mid-flight and still didn't crash. So who knows. It just makes me anxious to invest time in it until I know that it won't crash. It's just too frustrating otherwise.

Will probably stick to playing the landing challenges for now.

Yeah i was well gutted...Meant to be a patch out this coming Thursday so fingers crossed it fixes a lot of these crashes people are getting

Yeah, it really needs at least a 6 core I think. My 4C/8T was at 90-99% usage all the time, but this Ryzen 3600 is around 30% mostly.

If the onscreen dev console is to be believed, it tells you what your bottleneck is. For me at 1080p on high settings it is my GPU (Vega 56) with my 7700k at 4.8GHz. So it suggests that 4C/8T is OK, but obviously it really varies depending on what people are running. Would be really interesting to know if anyone on here is limited by their CPU, according to the dev console.

Last edited:
Zero crashes to desktop for me too, that's with alt tabbing a lot during flights checking on work and paused movies in other browsers, etc.

I have had a couple of in game crashes where my plane goes 50x the speed and I can fly up into the edge of space, actually pretty fun, but it does mean the flight is basically over as it's impossible to land, so some patches needed for sure.

As for CPU cores needed, my 9600K at 4.8 is almost always GPU bound and that's with a 2070 Super, so Flight Sim 2020 performance seems to be very much based on GPU power.

Even occasionally get a limited by main core speed message when loading etc, but in game, usually always GPU bound.

If the onscreen dev console is to be believed, it tells you what your bottleneck is. For me at 1080p on high settings it is my GPU (Vega 56) with my 7700k at 4.8GHz. So it suggests that 4C/8T is OK, but obviously it really varies depending on what people are running. Would be really interesting to know if anyone on here is limited by their CPU, according to the dev console.

Mine was 99% 'Limited by MainThread' in red with the Haswell 4C/8T, with a Vega 56 too. It was only a Xeon 4770 equivalent though, not overclocked.

Seems to play OK in medium settings on my laptop with a 4Gb 1050, but can I get this this to even install on my games PC to play on a nice big screen in higher res, nope......aaaargh, just hangs on downloading.

Developer console says mines limited by the CPU on a 3950x :p

Back
Top Bottom