• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5600x vs 3700x

Associate
Wow! Just read all 27 pages of the launch event thread! A whole mix of emotions!

I’ve been holding out for this, particularly for the base model 5600x. Seems that’s where the biggest price sting is. So looking at direct comparison prices, the 5600x 6 core is gonna be £280 give or take. The exact price a 3700x 8 core can be bought now for.

I’m in the (slightly painful) process of building a mid range gaming pc and will be waiting till the end of October to purchase the RTX3070 or AMDs equivalent release.

what processor would you buy? New 5600x 6 core or older 3700x 8 core? Or even £200 3600x 6 core?

Soldato
5600X, tho I did find it odd why they showed the 5900X in benchmarks, makes me wonder if the latency on CCX modules has been narrowed a good amount for the 5800X not to be shown as the best gaming CPU

Soldato
Building a mid-range gaming PC today? I'd buy an MSI B550 board and 3600, pocket the MSI cash back - enjoy. Then in the spring (IF YOU NEED TO), look to swap out for a cheaper Zen 3 part, maybe a 5700(X) or 5600. The cash back on the 3600 means you should be able to sell it on without losing much.

Soldato
I wouldn't buy a 6-core full stop.

Who'd want a gaming PC with less cores than the next-gen consoles? Yuck.

Six cores, especially cores as fast as Zen 3 will be absolutely fine for gaming for coming year - then, if you need to, it'd be easy to swap out to a (then cheaper) 8 or 12 core.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't buy a 6-core full stop.

Who'd want a gaming PC with less cores than the next-gen consoles? Yuck.
Why even bother upgrading then, the 7 year old consoles were technically 8 core... Yes I know it's different because the new consoles are closer to desktop CPUs than ever (essentially 3700x if I recall correctly), my point is that it isn't directly comparable. I think the IPC and clock increase of Zen 3 will make up for the loss of a pair of cores over the next 3 years or so.

Caporegime
Why even bother upgrading then, the 7 year old consoles were technically 8 core... Yes I know it's different because the new consoles are closer to desktop CPUs than ever (essentially 3700x if I recall correctly), my point is that it isn't directly comparable. I think the IPC and clock increase of Zen 3 will make up for the loss of a pair of cores over the next 3 years or so.
But it might not. 8 Zen2 cores vs 6 Zen3 cores isn't going to be anywhere near as clear-cut as 8 Jaguar cores (low power laptop jobbies) vs 6 Zen1/2 cores.

There may be times when your 6 Zen3 cores give a worse experience than 8 Zen2 cores.

Especially given the amount of CPU cycles Windows 10 will gobble up. Which is a lot :p

Or game streaming if you're one of those guys.

Soldato
Looks like the amount varies depending on the board, it's £36 for the Tomahawk? I'm very out of the loop, what's a good MSI B550?
I think the B550 Gaming Edge Wifi is their best ATX offering. All the features you need, great VRMs, decent 6 layer PCB, reasonable price. The X570 boards are overkill for most users - no need to be thinking about them (and their extra cost) unless you need more PCIe4 then a primary GPU and M2 SSD.

Soldato
The consoles have an 8 core Zen2 based CPU. So I would suspect a Ryzen 7 3700X will be potentially a better longterm bet,especially as it has been as low as £240. So it might mean you can get an 8C Ryzen 7 3700X for less than a 6C Ryzen 5 5600X.

Also if you can shop around the Ryzen 9 3900 non-X can be had for not much more than a Ryzen 8 3700X at current prices.

Soldato
5600X, tho I did find it odd why they showed the 5900X in benchmarks, makes me wonder if the latency on CCX modules has been narrowed a good amount for the 5800X not to be shown as the best gaming CPU
I thought the same thing. Surely they would have shown the 5800x if it was better? Doesn't make much sense if it would have better latency though

Associate
I'm in just the same situation as the OP - been waiting for months for a '5700X' to replace my 8 year old 3570k.

Not sure what to do now - looks like either deciding between 5600X and 3700X, or hobbling along with my current CPU until a 5700X comes along.

Associate
Six cores, especially cores as fast as Zen 3 will be absolutely fine for gaming for coming year - then, if you need to, it'd be easy to swap out to a (then cheaper) 8 or 12 core.
8 cores is the way too go.
some games like BF5 already use 8 cores even 12.
with new consoles being 8 core,newer games will start to require 8 cores.

Back
Top Bottom