Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
No reason for it to be, just power the machines from cheap renewables like solar. Solar has never been cheaper. If you have the right climate it's cheap and easy to set up a massive array.

A lot of crypto miners do situate in areas where power is cheap (near dams), going to waste anyway due to overproduction (again dams) or have a high amount of renewable energy, like Texas and their wind farms.

However, referring to comments a little further up, I agree that someone's personal choice to avoid mining stocks for the power use to be completely valid.

Soldato
No reason for it to be, just power the machines from cheap renewables like solar. Solar has never been cheaper. If you have the right climate it's cheap and easy to set up a massive array, which can supplement other sources.

That's all best case scenario though. Solar isn't reliable, both for the machines and supporting hardware like aircon.

Bitcoin uses more electricity annually than the whole of Argentina. And that's just that currency. Even if it's green, even if it's energy that would otherwise be "wasted", it could still be put to better uses.

Soldato
That's all best case scenario though. Solar isn't reliable, both for the machines and supporting hardware like aircon.

Bitcoin uses more electricity annually than the whole of Argentina. And that's just that currency. Even if it's green, even if it's energy that would otherwise be "wasted", it could still be put to better uses.

Argentina doesn't use that much compared to much smaller countries with much smaller populations like Netherlands or even smaller populations like Norway. In fact the same article you probably saw that info in also mentions that standby electronics in US alone could power the network for a year.

I bet the stock markets and trading uses massively more.

Never understood the need to save energy if you can get it from renewables or similar.

P.S - Solar is pretty danm reliable, until Jan I was living off it for the almost 4 years. Obviously alone it's not enough for bitcoin though.

Soldato
Argentina doesn't use that much compared to much smaller countries with much smaller populations like Netherlands or even smaller populations like Norway. In fact the same article you probably saw that info in also mentions that standby electronics in US alone could power the network for a year.

Never understood the need to save energy if you can get it from renewables or similar.

P.S - Solar is pretty danm reliable, until Jan I was living off it for the almost 4 years. Obviously alone it's not enough for bitcoin though.

Pretty sure I saw somewhere that Crypto as a whole uses around 2% of the energy of the stock market currently.

Soldato

The machinery around the financial markets keeps the global economy running, and is built to be as efficient as possible. It's not just equity markets, but the myriad other products and derivatives that businesses use daily to manage their operations that deliver enormous value to every economy in the world..not to mention the direct employment in the finance industry.

Bitcoin is deliberately massively inefficient and wazzes huge amounts of energy up the wall, to run a simple ledger that right now primarily serves as a token for speculators, and bugger all else.

You would struggle to design a system more inefficient than Bitcoin.

For the record I think blockchain tech is a useful technology and businesses will make use of it in valuable ways....but Bitcoin is just a huge mistake that is only the defacto mother of all crypto because it was the first. Sooner or later I think it will go in the bin, and other, better, efficient, useful blockchain implementations will rise to prominence.

Soldato
Yesterday a lot of the trendy ones were down a few percent. Thursdays always seem to be the best day of the week to invest in them, there was an analysis on /r/investing about it.

I topped up my ESPO a little already. And bought a bit more IAG as I think we'll be getting into the 'good news for airlines' news cycle soonish....will have a snoop at that subreddit.

Soldato
Is anyone else's trading212 sell price not updating?

Price of argo block chain = 315.8 but I can only sell for 304. 1

Edit: it since has dropped to 307 but sell price is still 304.1

Soldato
Took a punt on LON:MXC earlier in the week and it's up over 50% so far. Can't be fundamentals driving that, more likely people just jumping on the bandwagon given listings in the space are now permitted. Bought into the Cellular Goods IPO too, lists 4th March, hopefully it also comes good!

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56106824

Yep, no real surprise this was a deliberate pump and dump.

Whilst it undoubtedly ended up as a pump and dump. I'm not sure he instigated it to the point he should be liable. It seems he bought in long ago and shared his reasonings as to it being undervalued to a fairly small userbase. Looking at his original videos, they show viewings around 10k. It then gained traction by a huge following away from him which caused the huge rise. He seems to be being held up as a poster boy/scapegoat when in reality he just shared some DD on a stock he liked and had invested in.

It would likely have been confined to WSB and never have hit close to $500 if not for the likes of the BBC bringing it to the masses and causing the big surge late on creating the fomo from people who had no idea what they were doing and are now creating lawsuits. Personally id have never heard of it without the BBC reporting on the large increase on the Friday.

Alternatively, he planned this all along and played his hands very carefully :p

Associate

I'm not convinced he's done anything wrong to be honest. He opened positions at the end of 2019 and shared his DD at the time. You're allowed to share your research/opinions and stock positions wherever and whenever you want as far as I know? Financial firms do this all the time - See: those holding massive short positions of GME at the start of this doing live streams explaining why [in their opinion] people shouldn't buy the stock. Cathy Woods was on TV last night explaining why she thinks xyz stock/sector will go up etc...

The only angle is surely that he deceived people by not being upfront about his career. If this is legally required he's probably screwed.

Caporegime
Nel asa had a big dip on earnings for Q4 https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-r...quarter-2020-financial-results-890210980.html
I don't think it's warranted, new production line will come online for testing in q2 and should be ready f or commercial orders in q3 + they have a huge order backlog

looks like it bottomed out already and started a recovery

it wasn't though and IB chairman was on the news admitting if they didn't put a halt on GME buying it would have hit the thousands and they would have made a massive loss buying back shares they had gave to the hedgefunds who shorted it.

t212/IB probably would have gone under because of the silly risks they took but apparently being reckless with other peoples shares is fine
cmon bruh the "system would have collapsed" aka smart money would have lost silly amounts of money through their own greed

they never considered the risks of lending shares out so they punished retail investors who did the math instead
I guess you could claim kitty new this would happen though but I doubt it, never happened on the VW short but I guess there weren't so many small brokers lending retail investors shares to people back then

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom