What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Yep, the wind noise is maddening. My roof rack comes off the second it's unloaded. I even removed the factory roof rails from my car because they made too much noise, interestingly the load rating for my car is higher when not using the roof rails and instead using the roof racks that secure onto the frame behind the doors.

Associate
Never found the noise to be an issue. And the car's not actually been on the road since the end of 2019; think the last trip was to genuinly pick up some timber from B&Q, where the roof rack was used.

But it does also look good, which is the only reason for owning an old VW...

Soldato
So my car now has the yellow Focal cones of goodness scattered around, sound quality is very nice (borat voice), but now I'm learning how to tune a DSP, I thought I was reasonably technical, just watched an hour long video about the REW sound software, mind blown.... Anyone got any more simplistic guides? or should I just pay someone to come twiddle with my bits?

Do you have a measurement mic that you are using in conjunction with REW? I assume the laptop is connected to the stereo's aux input.

The actual premise is fairly simple - REW generates a frequency sweep to measure the response, and listens to the amplitude of the frequencies with the mic, to generate a graph. Then, depending on the results, you can either get it to generate an automatic correction filter for compatible DSPs or, if it needs (or you want) only minor correction, you can plug the frequency/DB/Q values into the DSP yourself.

It can be as simple or complicated as you wish :)

Don
Do you have a measurement mic that you are using in conjunction with REW? I assume the laptop is connected to the stereo's aux input.

The actual premise is fairly simple - REW generates a frequency sweep to measure the response, and listens to the amplitude of the frequencies with the mic, to generate a graph. Then, depending on the results, you can either get it to generate an automatic correction filter for compatible DSPs or, if it needs (or you want) only minor correction, you can plug the frequency/DB/Q values into the DSP yourself.

It can be as simple or complicated as you wish :)

I installed everything that I'm familiar with as I used to install ICE when I was a lad, so I figured out the oem loom and wired all the speakers up, checked polarity, set up all the channels in the amps software, cross-overs, bridged the two subs, setup the rough frequency ranges for the respective speakers, done the delay/distance measurements etc..

As you say the REW stuff makes sense, the laptop connects directly to the amp via USB, however I don't have a mic which I'm guessing is the reason for the DSP wizard is failing, I was looking at a UMIK-1 so the guy can connect remotely and tweak the graphs in the audison software. Or should I wait for the mic and have a bash myself?

Soldato
I installed everything that I'm familiar with as I used to install ICE when I was a lad, so I figured out the oem loom and wired all the speakers up, checked polarity, set up all the channels in the amps software, cross-overs, bridged the two subs, setup the rough frequency ranges for the respective speakers, done the delay/distance measurements etc..

As you say the REW stuff makes sense, the laptop connects directly to the amp via USB, however I don't have a mic which I'm guessing is the reason for the DSP wizard is failing, I was looking at a UMIK-1 so the guy can connect remotely and tweak the graphs in the audison software. Or should I wait for the mic and have a bash myself?

It's really not as difficult as it sounds, so I'd certainly get the mic (good choice - I use one myself) and have a crack. :)

Soldato
Wasn't much to update, it just keeps eating mileage without needing much. Changed the CBV diaphragm last month, replaced thermostat six months ago, and the camshaft position sensor died 8 months ago. That's it aside from normal servicing.

Might have to sell soon though, currently doing 600mi a week in commuting... that's a lot at 28mpg!

Soldato
Had a minor service and MOT at the local stealership. They missed the nail in one of my back tyres though - I can even see it in the inspection video they sent me before I picked the car up :rolleyes::D

Back
Top Bottom