What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Called it names after the MAF decided to stop being a MAF, then it dawned on me, I would be quite happy if it was just the MAF and not the EGR or DPF as those acronyms get progressively more dirty/expensive to deal with. Luckily Toyota seem to have used the same MAF on all the 1.4/2.0/2.2 D4D’s from 2006 ish onwards (or at least the non BMW sourced diesels) and I have access to an 08 2.2 that’s not needed for a week or so.

Expect ‘cleaned EGR’ update tomorrow or worse :\

Caporegime
Started the BMW up after sitting outside for 6 months, took a small amount of coaxing but went first turn of the key and idled after a few seconds of holding the revs up until she cleaned up a bit.

The knocking noise scared the bejeesus out of me (although it was nowhere as loud in person) and I almost turned the key back off again, but it was just the bottom of one of the front wings rattling against the sill where I forgot to put a bolt back in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took the GTO on a 400mile round trip (inc the m6 toll :D) the other week and it ran flawless after a year of nothing more than the odd 10 miler, but its now ticking intermittently so replaced the Oil, Filter, HT leads (they weren't needed but a rubber cap was split on one so did them as a precaution), checked the spark plugs and stuck an endoscope down the plug holes, nothing really of note could be seen. Suspect the tick is from the lifters that i'd hoped the oil change would have helped but unfortunalty not but it seems more subdued at least, its not uncommon on these but mines always been relatively smooth.
Next on the agenda is the timing belt, water pump etc and getting it dyno'd at some point in the coming weeks, then plan whats next :D

Soldato
As predicted ended up ordering a replacement MAF after cleaning current MAF and EGR with no success yesterday, the MK3 MAF is different which an extra 30 seconds digging would likely have shown before a 40 min drive :rolleyes: VCI lead is AWOL post move, so still stuck with basic generic OBD diagnostics rather than Techstream and actual sensor values.

Caporegime
Enabled wireless full screen carplay in my 440i, I still mainly use the built in navigation and media options, but it's nice to have the alternative available.

5614-A5-A6-0-DF5-4-C4-D-8387-ED4-ECB22-FD4-F.jpg

£45 worth of activation code (I did the coding myself) and a £10 fakra WiFi antenna from Amazon.

Last edited:
Associate
Enabled wireless full screen carplay in my 440i, I still mainly use the built in navigation and media options, but it's nice to have the alternative available.

5614-A5-A6-0-DF5-4-C4-D-8387-ED4-ECB22-FD4-F.jpg

£45 worth of activation code (I did the coding myself) and a £10 fakra WiFi antenna from Amazon.

You actually use the BMW nav over Waze/Google maps? I'm genuinely surprised by that I used the BMW nav in my 240 once and it made me want to rip the screen out the dash and smash it against my head.... Was one of the worst nav systems I've used for such a new car and highly frustrating to use:cry: Even with the pro nav pack, don't know what it gives you over the basic one apart from a bigger screen and everyone saying you should get it. If that's the better version I don't wanna know what the basic one is like:D Found it a right PITA after it eventually gave me the right place after abandoning the street name. Kept giving me a place half way around the world a few times and ended up having to look for the postcode to where I was going and doing it that way. Also found it annoying to actually distinguish if it wanted me to go off at slips just by a quick glance compared to Google/Waze as I couldn't listen to the woman's voice any longer..
Loved it, was a great experience:D:cry:

Literally use a 6 quid Yosh phone mount with Google maps instead and put wherever I'm going in 20 times faster than fannying about with the idrive. Also can tell instantly where it wants me to go without a nippy voice constantly interrupting the music:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Only slight change but a good one. Enabled climate control function on the sync 3 screen.
What car is it? Depending on the particular year, this may cause you a headache :p on the Focus Mk3.5 for example, the controls are reversed on the screen because Ford hardcoded the sides instead of it being software controlled.

Associate
What car is it? Depending on the particular year, this may cause you a headache :p on the Focus Mk3.5 for example, the controls are reversed on the screen because Ford hardcoded the sides instead of it being software controlled.

mk4. I had read about it but luckily this doesn't affect mine and it works the correct way.

Soldato
Called it names (again) after discovering I have popped the lower boost hose on the FMIC. Sadly I only discovered that after re-taxing/insuring the old car, but it’s an easy and cheap fix vs where I was mentally heading. Now off to locate a proper jubilee clip or better yet a marine grade SS version.

Associate
Pretty boring really, just clear coated my headlights with 3M headlight clear coat to stop them going hazy again for a while. Wonder how long it will last.

YHTPKM6l.jpg

fni2TVLl.jpg

Called it names (again) after discovering I have popped the lower boost hose on the FMIC. Sadly I only discovered that after re-taxing/insuring the old car, but it’s an easy and cheap fix vs where I was mentally heading. Now off to locate a proper jubilee clip or better yet a marine grade SS version.
You want superclamps / marine clamps for intercooler pipework 100%. Surprised it stayed on at all with a jubilee clip!

Soldato
Pretty boring really, just clear coated my headlights with 3M headlight clear coat to stop them going hazy again for a while. Wonder how long it will last.

You want superclamps / marine clamps for intercooler pipework 100%. Surprised it stayed on at all with a jubilee clip!

Randomly that’s one of the jobs I need to do on my old car ready for when it goes to it’s new home, but I am probably going to go with the film option after restoration.

Clip wise they’re standard fitting for Toyota diesels air pipe work across at least the last 4 generations, jubilee style clip, and either rubber pipe or rubber insert and hard plastic pipe work. It’s not running stupidly high boost at stock, but it’s clearly been enough to blow it off in this case. Unfortunately after further investigation it looks as though I need to drop the front sub-frame to get access (a lot to be said for the old generation with intercooler scoop and top mount IC), really not liking the new design as much at this point.

Soldato
Fitted new rear discs and pads to the SRT8 and while there, cleaned all the crap out of the handbrake mechanism and cleaned all the calipers up. Will do the same once the fronts get here. Then washed the car and now fitting spacers as well.

nCR2bhw.jpg

Back
Top Bottom