• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is now the best time to sell your GPU?

Associate
Not really into that lower powered console really, I want full fat!

Some guy on facebook was begging me to sell my 3080 to him he was even going to give me 1500 + a 970, but I just couldn't be arsed with posting or meeting someone when I knew CEX was much simpler, I told him and told him, in the end he was all abusive to me and called me scum.

I know what your saying when I sold my rx5700 it was easier for a guy from down the road to bring me £500 cash in hand than sell for 700 on ebay minus fees and posting under £600 and the hassle if they fleece you

Soldato
technically, yes!

If you already have a playstation 5/xbox, selling your GPU now will maximise your profits without sacrificing gaming time

Associate
£320 isn't worth it the effort of having to source another video card later and/or put up with whatever you can get now.

It's not like there's been a lot of things to spend money on over the last 18 months. I know everyone is in a different financial situation but if you bought a high end GPU in the first place I'm guessing you can't be that hard up.

Soldato
Nope - go into the shop and they can also do bank transfer

Last year doing it online took 7 weeks to get payment they were rammed then with items being sold. I can see why people are tempted its over double what I paid for the FE and if you risk other methods thats nearly triple !

Like people have said they upgraded to a 3090 for basically no outlay. I guess this is our new "indicator" watch the price on that website when it starts to go down its an early warning sign that stock is starting to roll in at other places ! :)

Associate
Last year doing it online took 7 weeks to get payment they were rammed then with items being sold. I can see why people are tempted its over double what I paid for the FE and if you risk other methods thats nearly triple !

Like people have said they upgraded to a 3090 for basically no outlay. I guess this is our new "indicator" watch the price on that website when it starts to go down its an early warning sign that stock is starting to roll in at other places ! :)

They were buying the 3090fe for £1870 at one point, after the last FE drop it went back down to 1760. I think this indicates how many FE cards are going to them.
PS5 shortage seems to have also gone back up, they dropped the buy price to £500 at one point, but now its gone back up to £550.

Associate
It might sound strange, although I am not willing to spend £1445 on a 3080 ...I would also rather have the 3080 right now than the £1445, I don't need the money but I really, really want the card but the reason I wouldn't actaually spend that for the card is because I know it's foolish and I don't want my lack of patience to enrich someone else, I would feel like I was being taken for a fool and that's worse than not having the card I think ...it's a funny one I guess.
Thats why I only did it AFTER getting a 3090 :p

They were buying the 3090fe for £1870 at one point, after the last FE drop it went back down to 1760. I think this indicates how many FE cards are going to them.
PS5 shortage seems to have also gone back up, they dropped the buy price to £500 at one point, but now its gone back up to £550.
They sell bloody quick too!
After the last drop, they had like 10+ 3090FE in stock, now its none. Barely lasted a week.
My 3080FE was barely on the site 2 days before it sold.

So there are people paying the crazy prices :o I guess if I was to pay scalp money, id rather do it through a retailer with warranty....but still. Mad times.

Last edited:
Associate
I think I was pretty lucky lately with hardware.

I had a 1080TI. I was going to sell but when I saw them getting £250-£300 I thought I would keep for a spare machine once a 3080 came out. Roll on a few months, I was lucky to bag a 3080 FE at £650 in December and sold the 1080TI for £500 so a £150 upgrade.

I also picked up a 5600x for £280 new (sold my 3700x for £200) around Christmas time and a 2TB WE Black (NVME Price Error / discount) for £95 :)

Soldato
I know but I am amazed that there is any profit on a card i have owned for 6 months!!!!! plus mining :)
I am not sure if it's still the case, but for a while a least on the auction site I could have seemingly sold the 1080Ti I have had since 2017 for more than I paid for it (about £650) ...it's never mined but it has gamed for years of course. I actually have a 6700XT now so I 'could' sell it but actually I've decided to hang onto it as my intention was always to put it in my second system I have hooked upto my TV to replace the 970GT in there which just isn't upto what I ask it to do anymore. So the 'real' upgrade was actually for that rather than my main desktop ...but I originally wanted to effectively do both and buy a 3080 for my main system and put the 1080Ti in the secondary but all I could get anywhere near MSRP was this 6700XT which is a small upgrade to a 1080Ti in all honesty, it runs from about 10%-25% faster depending on the game, more often than not it's nearer the lower end of that though I would say, Horizon Zero Dawn is one game it does get a good boost in though, which is what I put at about 25%. It's not the upgrade I wanted for my main system tbh but it is what I could get without getting ripped off. I think where I am at now what I would ideally like to do is actually sell the 1080Ti on and move the 6700XT to my secondary TV system and then put a 3080 in my main desktop. Reason being a newer card with newer tech, I am also thinking to upgrade my TV soonish, as you may imagine eyeing up the LG 120hz OLED's and for that I would need something more modern than the 1080Ti as it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 to drive a 4K display at 120Hz. But until this situation starts to works itself out I am very reluctant to sell either card as they mean more to me than the money does right now.

Back
Top Bottom