• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Associate
Recommend cpu for this game is 8 cores and yet it doesn’t use my 5800X in more than 40% while severely bottlenecking my GPU. Something doesn’t add up here. :confused:

Caporegime
This video doesn't make the 5600x and 3700x a worthwhile upgrade.

Also I see people on here with beefy GPUs and 5600x CPUs. But a lot of games have a recommend CPU requirements of 8 cores.

Like the recent Metro Exodus Enhanced.

What do people think about that?

Give me a better/newer 6 core cpu i.e. 5600x over an older/less powerful 8 core cpu i.e. 3700x any day of the week.

5600x out performs a 3700x in everything so far and this can be seen even with games like metro enhanced where a 8 core is recommended yet performs worst than a 5600x... By the time 6 core cpu such as 5600x becomes a problem, we will have way better cpus to choose from, not to mention, be on new ddr 5 ram and so on.

It's all about them average 1 and 0.1% lows.

The combination of gpu and cpu also matters too i.e. amd get a lot more from older cpus i.e. less bottlenecked where as nvidia are more heavily bottlenecked by older/weaker cpus.

Soldato
Can someone with 5XXX Ryzen cpu and 3080 test this area.?
As you can see from the video the bottleneck is awful for me.

You have a very similar system to my spec. I don't mind trying to run a comparison for you, but I've just checked and don't have any of my previous save games from when I completed it. And to be honest I found Exodus too boring for me to trudge through it again start to finish.

Your more than welcome to send me your save games if thats possible

Associate
You have a very similar system to my spec. I don't mind trying to run a comparison for you, but I've just checked and don't have any of my previous save games from when I completed it. And to be honest I found Exodus too boring for me to trudge through it again start to finish.

Thanks for the offer. I since progressed a bit from that area but will try to get back to the train tomorrow and save the game then share the save with you.

Edit: returned to the same spot but the scenery has changed and there is a lot less people and with that the bottleneck is gone.

Last edited:
Soldato

I believe you can just fire up the enhanced edition and go to chapters then just unlock all the levels there (disables achievements or something for that save)

Permabanned
HDR is great here, nice and bright with vivid colours without any tweaks. Using a PG43UQ monitor.

Ive got the Acer 43 inch alternative but theres a lot of people with the same complaint. Colours are washed and the gamma is too high. The vividness still looks great but the gamma is off. The gamma in the menus wont go down low enough.

Soldato
Anyone who is finding the game washed out with HDR enabled, Ive been using Geforce overlay to tweak contrast and it makes a massive difference.
Not sure about the EE but HDR used to bug out often in the original. Solution was to keep turning HDR on/off and/or alt-tabbing. Pay attention to the orange in the menu if it changes, it should be more reddish for when HDR works properly.

Fun fact: WD:Legion has the same issue, but usually if you alt-tab and then tab back in, then you have to turn hdr on/off and it resets to being ok.

Associate
Agree with the cores statement above. From techspot 5600x review:

“Speaking of gaming performance, you’re no doubt going to hear nonsense such as "the Ryzen 5 5600X is a poor choice for gamers as it only has 6 cores," and they’ll probably try and prove that by pointing to the new consoles which feature eight Zen 2 cores.

Some people also like to confuse how games and cores work. Making statements like games will require 8 cores or something to that effect. Games don’t require a certain number of cores, they never have and they never will. Games require a certain level of CPU performance, it’s really that simple.”

Soldato
Enthusiasts and reviewers keep making the mistake all the time about core count. Over the last decade people keep having short memories. Its the same with VRAM and GPUs.

The Core i5 7600K thrashed the Ryzen 5 1600 in the Techspot/Hardware Unboxed reviews,but a few years later it just had more consistent minimums overall.

The current console games are intergenerational titles designed to mostly run on the previous generation,and even with that generation with 8 Jaguar cores we went from 4C/4T being the sweetspot to 6C/12T being the sweetspot in 3 years. So in the next 2 years or so I can see 6C/12T CPUs starting to have more issues. But by then many here who bigged up the Ryzen 5 5600X will have changed the CPU.

However,for most average PC builders,CPUs can be easily kept for upto 5 years or more,hence why SB/IB/Haswell/Skylake based systems are still common. Its not always about trying to win the early benchmarks. It helps to have extra in the CPU tank.

If we go back even further most reviews had the E8400 beating the Q6600,but again the latter lasted longer with more consistent minimums.

The thing is that the Ryzen 7 5800X dropped in price quite a bit,and the Ryzen 5 5600X has not dropped in price,or even gone up. So realistically,it is still better to spend the extra on the Ryzen 5 5800X,especially part of motherboard bundles.

There were many instances were you could get a Ryzen 7 5800X for only £50~£70 more than a Ryzen 5 5600X. Sure you need to budget in a cooler,but my experience of using the Wraith Stealth,Spire and Prism was that the Stealth was marginal anyway.

Even the Ryzen 7 3700X could be had for closer to £200 if you shopped around,and the AMD Wraith Prism RGB was selling for around £30 secondhand too.

The thing is many here don't keep their CPUs that long,ie,a year or two and then upgrade. IMHO,if you intend to keep a CPU for 3~5 years with a good GPU,I wouldn't touch the Ryzen 5 5600X with a bargepole. Its a false economy. Find the extra cash and get a Ryzen 7 5800X.

Plus if you really are budget limited something like a Ryzen 5 3600/Core i5 10400F/Core i5 11400F are significantly cheaper overall and the rest is better spent on the GPU. Even the Core i7 10700F/Core i7 9900 were on clearance a while back at close to £200ish if you shopped around.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Enthusiasts and reviewers keep making the mistake all the time about core count. Over the last decade people keep having short memories. Its the same with VRAM and GPUs.

The Core i5 7600K thrashed the Ryzen 5 1600 in the Techspot/Hardware Unboxed reviews,but a few years later it just had more consistent minimums overall.

The current console games are intergenerational titles designed to mostly run on the previous generation,and even with that generation with 8 Jaguar cores we went from 4C/4T being the sweetspot to 6C/12T being the sweetspot in 3 years. So in the next 2 years or so I can see 6C/12T CPUs starting to have more issues. But by then many here who bigged up the Ryzen 5 5600X will have changed the CPU.

However,for most average PC builders,CPUs can be easily kept for upto 5 years or more,hence why SB/IB/Haswell/Skylake based systems are still common. Its not always about trying to win the early benchmarks. It helps to have extra in the CPU tank.

If we go back even further most reviews had the E8400 beating the Q6600,but again the latter lasted longer with more consistent minimums.

The thing is that the Ryzen 7 5800X dropped in price quite a bit,and the Ryzen 5 5600X has not dropped in price,or even gone up. So realistically,it is still better to spend the extra on the Ryzen 5 5800X,especially part of motherboard bundles.

There were many instances were you could get a Ryzen 7 5800X for only £50~£70 more than a Ryzen 5 5600X. Sure you need to budget in a cooler,but my experience of using the Wraith Stealth,Spire and Prism was that the Stealth was marginal anyway.

Even the Ryzen 7 3700X could be had for closer to £200 if you shopped around,and the AMD Wraith Prism RGB was selling for around £30 secondhand too.

The thing is many here don't keep their CPUs that long,ie,a year or two and then upgrade. IMHO,if you intend to keep a CPU for 3~5 years with a good GPU,I wouldn't touch the Ryzen 5 5600X with a bargepole. Its a false economy. Find the extra cash and get a Ryzen 7 5800X.

Plus if you really are budget limited something like a Ryzen 5 3600/Core i5 10400F/Core i5 11400F are significantly cheaper overall and the rest is better spent on the GPU. Even the Core i7 10700F/Core i7 9900 were on clearance a while back at close to £200ish if you shopped around.
not only minimums but 1600 started to beat the 7600k even at averages

https://youtu.be/97sDKvMHd8c?t=446

https://youtu.be/97sDKvMHd8c?t=536

https://youtu.be/97sDKvMHd8c?t=410

Here is how scaling goes for most modern games

hGFtPEe.png

We can see how 7700k run away with performance compared to 7600k.

I remember in the times of 4790k and 4670k, you would be hard pressed to find differences between them.

Last edited:
Associate

wise words

Soldato
I think the 5600X will last just fine and even it didn't would be an easy option in 4 years to stick a 5900X or whatever in - wouldnt mind seeing Volga frame rates at the sketch parts from someone running intel parts or 5950X/5900X

Back
Top Bottom