When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Now the lockdown rules are releasing I've increased my mileage.
The last month i've driven 1044 miles which cost £57.30 using the BP Pulse public charging network. That's about 5.5p per mile, i'm pretty happy with that given the performance available :)

Capodecina
Soldato
It seems "odd" that the Government Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) only provides funding after you have purchased an EV - what are you supposed to do between going out and buying an EV and getting a charging point fitted :confused:

Associate
I am in 2 minds at the minute on what to do when we get ours.

Octopus energy offer the cheap tarriff between 12-4 in the morning, to take full advantage of this a wall box at home needs to be installed.

We need to fork out £650ish for a wall box so to move over to the wall box.

I've estimated that on 10k miles costs will be around £400-£500 worth of electric on current tarriff but then £100-£200 using the octopus energy.

Need to do more man maths to see if it is worth while and also there is the convenience of it all.
I worked out with my tariff and mileage plus the fact my wife works at home that it would take around 15-18 months to pay for itself if I fitted a home charger. Personally I don't see the value, largely because my car is so efficient and it charges easily in time. If I had a larger/faster EV then I'd probably get one for the sake of convenience.

Soldato
It seems "odd" that the Government Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) only provides funding after you have purchased an EV - what are you supposed to do between going out and buying an EV and getting a charging point fitted :confused:

Doesn't make sense to give funding to people that might not then purchase an EV.
I guess they could fund in "good faith" and chase if no EV is purchased, but that's a proper Ballache.

Associate
Doesn't make sense to give funding to people that might not then purchase an EV.
I guess they could fund in "good faith" and chase if no EV is purchased, but that's a proper Ballache.

Also it would involve a level of bureaucratic organisation that the UK just isn't capable of.

Personally, I really want to go electric, as I generally only drive ~30miles in a day so it would work well for me generally speaking. However I also drive an MX5, and all the current electric cars are either extremely expensive or extremely boring.

I did hear rumours of an electric MR2 though. That could be interesting.

Soldato
The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) or OLEV grant can be applied for prior to taking delivery of a BEV, as long as you can show proof you have ordered a vehicle and the estimated delivery date etc. So usually a scan or copy of the leasing document, or or similar if buying outright. Most installers who are decent will help you with the claim, and do all the leg work for you, mine was installed well before having the vehicle delivered.

Soldato
quite interesting tarif - so could just use that before you get a faster charger installed, if ever.

EDF GoElectric 98
Standing charge: 30.01p / day
Peak rate: 20.16p / kWh
Off peak rate: 9p / kWh
  • Half-price off-peak electricity for your home and car
  • 9p/kWh from 9pm-7am on weekdays and all weekend
10 hours off peak granny charger, would give similar input charge as octopus 4 hours at 7.6KW,
cheaper car top up at weekends, and ... run the washing machine/dryer then too
car pre-heated cheaply at 7am departure, if not wfh.
£600 you might save on 7KW charger will offset the 9p unit cost versus octopus

Soldato
Both of those rates seem pretty expensive as does the standing charge, would you not be better off just going on a flat rate at around 15p/kWh and not having to worry about it.

Soldato
I worked out with my tariff and mileage plus the fact my wife works at home that it would take around 15-18 months to pay for itself if I fitted a home charger. Personally I don't see the value, largely because my car is so efficient and it charges easily in time. If I had a larger/faster EV then I'd probably get one for the sake of convenience.

The granny charger is really meant for occasional use - be careful because lots of regular household outlets don't take too kindly to being used in that way. If you intend to have an EV going forward I would be very tempted to get a charger installed while the grant is still available.

Soldato
The granny chargers are only 10amp though aren't they, so 2.3kw ish? Even fairly shoddy wiring should be able to cope with that? it's not like it's an old 3 bar electric fire pulling the full 3.1kw which some people would leave on for hours.

Soldato
.. so you should really have a certified spur installed ? at which point mights as well be 7.6.
I suppose the charge rate shows if there is voltage drop, poor wiring, in a granny/3stdpin scenario.

Associate
Ill have to get back to you on that, im still on the fence at the moment
no hurry or worries!

.. so you should really have a certified spur installed ? at which point mights as well be 7.6. I suppose the charge rate shows if there is voltage drop, poor wiring, in a granny/3stdpin scenario.
That's the general gist I think: not that the load itself is the problem, just it highlights dodgy wiring. Also, people try and use extension leads, which is another universal no-no. Honestly, I don't know why anyone in permanent residence wouldn't get a wall charger - unless you only ever drive to Tescos and charge there, you will need one at some point in the future. Why wait?

Soldato
Booked a test drive of the new Audi Q4 e-tron for next week Saturday. Really looking forward to it because after selling my Model 3 about 10 months ago, I’m starting to miss how EVs drive.

Associate
Both of those rates seem pretty expensive as does the standing charge, would you not be better off just going on a flat rate at around 15p/kWh and not having to worry about it.

Yes, they are expensive I agree.

Octopus Go is 5p for 0030-0430 and 13p for remainder inc VAT and 25p standing charge. I also find their customer service and website excellent.

Soldato
Mine was fitted in about 4-5 days although was probably fairly lucky and should have booked it in sooner, before collecting the car. Picked up my car on the Monday, contacted Ohme either Monday evening or Tuesday and was fitted on the Sat.
I suppose you could use the grant to have one fitted and charge others, without having owning a vehicle yourself, which wouldn't be acceptable.

Tbh, just an opinion, but I think the government should stop the grant. I suspect a high % of the time it's just extra cash being pocketed anyway, or a portion of it just an over-charge :). Some have bought an Ohme from somewhere (Amz maybe?) and got a local electrician to fit it for less than what I paid with a grant from one of Ohme's partners. Without a grant it would have been close to £1k which seems absurd. Without government funding maybe the pricing would be more competitive. I've seen Ohme units for £515-579 retail which I assume is without the grant as that applies to the fitting I believe. Took the electrician about an hour to fit mine. So lets say £100 labour + PEN protection unit. I paid £670 inc grant which should be doable without the grant tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a question on charging points; is it worth buying a 7kw/h point? When we go fully electric, which I expect to be in 3 years time, is 7kw/h going to be enough to charge something that has a much larger battery?

Don't fancy paying for a charger now and then forking out for another one in 3 years time.

Soldato
Got a question on charging points; is it worth buying a 7kw/h point? When we go fully electric, which I expect to be in 3 years time, is 7kw/h going to be enough to charge something that has a much larger battery?

Don't fancy paying for a charger now and then forking out for another one in 3 years time.
In my opinion there is no point getting a home charger installed and it sitting there for 3 years doing nothing. Just wait until you get an EV.

Back
Top Bottom