• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
Quite a few "buy it now's" for around 1650 on 3090s - they are only making around 50 quid a card at that price (which is probably about the same as most retailers). The bottom of 3090 scalping fell out when the 3080ti arrived. People can still make around 200 on those.

that's crazy. 3090s have been very resistant to price change. £1600 3090s were prices last seen in Jan if i'm not mistaken.

Associate
I decided to browse reviews to see if a 3060 Ti would be worth bothering with ...

It does perform quite a bit better than the 1080 Ti, but the 3080 has higher minimums in every test than the 1080 Tis maximums.

3080 or 3080 Ti or nothing.

Soldato
Can they? I haven’t seen them in stock for months snd months.

They are in stock at a lot of places the AIB 3080 cards right now. Some with silly prices and some that were not bad as a bundle last week. The 3080 FE cards have dropped a good few times last few months too, but you have to be really quick to get one.

Associate
Can they? I haven’t seen them in stock for months snd months.
I bought mine a few days ago....cancelled the order.
Never wanted to spend £700 on a graphics card however goldusty they are.
Thought about selling it on but there's a special place in the coldness of hell for such things. Hope whoever got it in the end appreciates it.

Really wanted a 3060ti :(

Associate
I bought mine a few days ago....cancelled the order.
Never wanted to spend £700 on a graphics card however goldusty they are.
Thought about selling it on but there's a special place in the coldness of hell for such things. Hope whoever got it in the end appreciates it.

Really wanted a 3060ti :(
Very nice of you.

I was the other way round. I had the 3060 Ti in the basket, but I really wanted the 3080 (I wasn't quick enough). So I decided to remove it... then another 3080 drop happened in the same morning, got the 3080 in the end!

Associate
I'm hoovering over the buys buttons at the moment, but still hesitant to pay the premiums. But with a very old and slow PC, my upgrade has been due for a couple of years now.

I have a GTX 1060 3gb, wondering if it will even sell second hand to claw back some of the cost!

Soldato
I'm hoovering over the buys buttons at the moment, but still hesitant to pay the premiums. But with a very old and slow PC, my upgrade has been due for a couple of years now.

I have a GTX 1060 3gb, wondering if it will even sell second hand to claw back some of the cost!

If you do pull the trigger now I don't think you'll have any issue getting a decent chunk back for the 1060 3gb still in all honesty. Seems to be £150-170 as the going used price for one.

I suppose it depends on what card you have your eye on and how much that premium actually is.

Man of Honour
1060 3GB going for about £120-200 on ebay so you can still recoup about £160. More than it would be in a normal market, to be honest with 3GB VRAM I'm surprised there is still the market for them. I'd say not worth upgrading unless you get something close to MRSP.

Associate
It should be. But you need to provide bit more detail to be sure.
Whats in your build? Which 3090?

My rig runs on a 850W supply, and the highest at-the-wall power pull I have ever seen is 580W. Thats with CPU & GPU at 100% load.
Actually gaming tops out around 520W ~
But are those figures all that relevant if those 3090's (at least the FE when they came out, haven't really looked since) implement GPU boost with really short bursts where the power usage spikes for a few ms?
I still remember those Igor charts from the launch:

W2WmuPx.png
(From https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-and-common-decadence-if-price-is-not-all/16/)
nearly 600W burst for the GPU only. PEG Is above the 75W spec too.

Associate
But are those figures all that relevant if those 3090's (at least the FE when they came out, haven't really looked since) implement GPU boost with really short bursts where the power usage spikes for a few ms?
I still remember those Igor charts from the launch:

W2WmuPx.png
(From https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...-and-common-decadence-if-price-is-not-all/16/)
nearly 600W burst for the GPU only. PEG Is above the 75W spec too.

What does that mean though?
Should everybody be running a 1200W just to have 600W of spare power for a spike?

I wont pretend to fully understand how the spikes etc work. All I can say is the highest at-wall pull I have seen is 560-580W with a 100% load on CPU & GPU...
So I have what... 300W~ headroom at minimum for spikes?

Here OptimumTech tests 600W PSUs with 3080s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdohv96uGLw&t=3s

Back
Top Bottom