Mountain Biking

Associate
The climbs a pain but the jumps on the second part are mega, albeit I'm not able to be clearing them yet! Believe they were added over the winter, must be 8-10ft high tables at least. There's also a new red line being built currently.

Soldato
Glad to hear you're alright... Must hit wales, the parks etc there look awesome.

I did BPW and Stiniog last year and whilst both were great, I think Stiniog is some of the most fun I've ever had on the bike - And we were riding down it in some really nasty weather as well! Brilliant place.

Associate
So, add a fractured thumb to the list. Swole up overnight so went A&E this morning and got checked over, so that's me out until September realistically.

Ah well, achievement unlocked with the first big off, right? :p

Soldato
Penmachno is my favourite in Wales.
Gisburn overall, more techy than flowy.

Done hamsterley?

Gisburn definitely techy, it's so rocky. I haven't ridden long and Gisburn kinda taught me that speed matters and to trust the grip on your tyres. Hamsterley beats it for me though, but they're two separate beasts. Hamsterley fast and flowy, gisburn grueling and techy. Both excellent.

fez

fez

Caporegime
@Cleisthenes I went to the bull track near Southborough on wednesday and had a great time. I don't know if you have been there but if you want to practice jumping its great. £8 for a day pass and £55 for years membership. Its quite rough and ready but me and my mate had a really good time and I can see myself progressing 10x faster somewhere like that than just hitting trails.

Soldato
Anyone else doing Ard Rock?

I'm in the Sport on the Sunday, hopefully the weather calms down a bit by then

Not doing it, but rode the "Reeth the Edge" loop a couple of weeks ago which i believe covers some of the stages. The climbs were nuts and one downhill was well sketchy, think it dropped 120m in 400m distance, Strava said it was a -29% gradient. Hope you get a good day.

Penmachno is my favourite in Wales.
Gisburn overall, more techy than flowy.

Penmachno is great, we usually stay over at one of the pubs in Betws-y-Coed that has a bunk house for £10 a night, they let you keep your bikes locked up in the beer cellar in the pub! We do The Marin Trail on the Saturday the Penmachno on the sunday and head home, if we are still feeling ok throw a lap of Degla in on the way past. That first fireroad climb from the car park at Penmachno is a long old slog!

Soldato
Penmachno is great, we usually stay over at one of the pubs in Betws-y-Coed that has a bunk house for £10 a night, they let you keep your bikes locked up in the beer cellar in the pub! We do The Marin Trail on the Saturday the Penmachno on the sunday and head home, if we are still feeling ok throw a lap of Degla in on the way past. That first fireroad climb from the car park at Penmachno is a long old slog!

What pub is that?

Soldato
@Cleisthenes I went to the bull track near Southborough on wednesday and had a great time. I don't know if you have been there but if you want to practice jumping its great. £8 for a day pass and £55 for years membership. Its quite rough and ready but me and my mate had a really good time and I can see myself progressing 10x faster somewhere like that than just hitting trails.
Great to know, thanks!

I have seen videos of it however thought it might come across as a bit of a jumpers/downhill site rather than trails. Would I look a wally rocking up on an XC bike?

Caporegime
Not doing it, but rode the "Reeth the Edge" loop a couple of weeks ago which i believe covers some of the stages. The climbs were nuts and one downhill was well sketchy, think it dropped 120m in 400m distance, Strava said it was a -29% gradient. Hope you get a good day.

Great to hear, thanks

fez

fez

Caporegime
Great to know, thanks!

I have seen videos of it however thought it might come across as a bit of a jumpers/downhill site rather than trails. Would I look a wally rocking up on an XC bike?

If you don’t want to practice jumps then you won’t have a good time. There isn’t much else there. The smallest jumps are decent sized tabletops as well. No issue with bringing an XC bike though if you are happy to get some air.

Soldato
Hit hamsterley again yesterday, think this is going to be our local spot rather than Chopwell. It's just a totally different level of trails.

Anyone done Grizedale?

Soldato
They're beautiful aren't they, wait til you hear it whirring down a trail, it's divine.

They're on my deviate build, here's a vid of our first run at hamsterley, blind lol, immense trails. Have to re-shoot some footage there, I'm much faster and confident now I know the trails.

Man of Honour
That looks great :D Bike and hub are dropped off to a new shop that's opened down town, guy is an MTBer himself and knows his stuff so confident it's in well capable hands. Going for 30mm rims ideally up from 25mm and having the front wheel rebuilt too to match up.

Man of Honour
Need sound clip!

On the note of hub wheel build, I have had to up my budget as no rims in 29" and 30mm width that I want are in stock so have gone for the WTB KOM Light I30 TCS 2.0. Double my initial budget for a rim but hey ho... The colour theme matches the tyres too and have gone for black spokes and nipples too. It's gonna look rather ace I think :D

Back
Top Bottom