Tokyo Olympics 2020

Soldato
Biles needs to have some of whatever Charlottes having (Nabisco needs to give her a tv advert - get in a queue) ... but she's now able to do the beam apparently ,
Climbing, tomorrow, will probably show some get up and immediately try again fortitude.

equally Smith still doing the relay, we'll see if the others have to carry her, 'if you are ill stay in bed'

why the BBC had to report the knitting - but did seem strange Daley had immediately referenced his sexuality in his post medal press conf,
implying that for fans/audience there is discrimination, but, ok, a personal sentiment, if that's how he feels.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes I knew about the German coach and his methods of all in or GTFOH.

At this level, you need hard work and talent and as a human being that means sacrifice of your life for 10-20 years dedicated to your chosen discipline as a athlete at the top level. Hell I know amateur tri-athletes who do a full time, raise a family who put insane hours into a sport they love.

No Rowing and its selection/training is just failure and needs funding cut if we are to base our success on medals and not the delicate little flower feelings of the athletes. Get stuck in and dedicate or GTFOH.

As for a donkey medals.... well enough said really.

Soldato
Was talking about this yesterday on a bike ride and saying how we could start slipping back against other nations if all our sports start going down that route where everything is praise, yes there is a balance to be had but unfortunately to be the best in the world sometimes you need a metaphorical kick in. Many of us couldn't do it, but those that can reach the top. Obviously British Cycling has had a lot of focus over the last few years, but generally the ones that have been winning have had no complaints and they use that anger and pain to come back, train harder and longer and come back stronger.

Great silver for Emily Jade Campbell in the weightlifting! Miles behind the Chinese in the end who was on a different planet. So much emotion in that minute they're on stage from pure anger through to tears. great to see.

Soldato
Where on earth is it? Other than a short clip it doesn't appear to be on the BBC at all not even red button. Appalling coverage you're lucky if you get 5 minutes of footage followed by 20 minutes of pundits waffling in the studio, its the olympics not a bloody football match! Seems you need to subscribe to discovery to be able to see anything

The qualifiers? if you go to bbc website and press play on the olympics banner then rewind to 08:03 or so is when the coverage started. Unfortunately BBC didn't bid enough and as you say it's all on Eurosport and Discovery+ so they're only able to show a certain amount of highlights and live coverage, the cycling should be covered in full as that's what generates viewers in the UK.

Penalty shootout! Women's hockey quarter final.

Love a hockey penalty shootout, bit more tactical than a football one! Bit tense with the keeper trying to kill the spanish player :D

Soldato
So pleased for Emily Campbell. The Americans and Koreans underestimated her ceiling (she’s relatively new to the sport having switched from shot putt) and she took advantage of it fully in the clean and jerk and got the rub of the jury after an Olympics where they’ve repeatedly undermined perfectly decent judging decisions.

After the snatch I thought bronze might be within a shout but to win silver is amazing. No chance of gold because Li Wenwen is the most dominant weightlifter relative to other lifters in that weight class across all weight classes and both sexes.

Soldato
OP
Love a hockey penalty shootout, bit more tactical than a football one! Bit tense with the keeper trying to kill the spanish player :D

Yeah, I've never seen a hockey penalty shootout. It was quite interesting. Glad we won it!

939BkGa.jpg Danish cycling team pushing the limits/rules of what is/isn't allowed. https://road.cc/content/news/medical-tape-row-danish-pursuit-team-broke-uci-rules-285339

Interesting. It certainly does seem suspect that they're all wearing tape. I wonder if Olympic officials will want to take action.

Soldato
Maybe not aero reasons but might have elastic properties that change power delivery slightly?

It'll be purely aero reasons, the placement of it is the same as what many time triallists use in the UK to "trip" the air so it goes over the shin and calf in a uniform manner rather than a disturbed wake. the socks most uk time triallists use save 3-5W when tested in the aero tunnel so even 1-2w for these guys will be a couple of tenths of a second which at this level is super important.

@The_One I don't think going below the black is an issue in team pursuit only the events when you're racing on track directly with someone.

Soldato
It'll be purely aero reasons, the placement of it is the same as what many time triallists use in the UK to "trip" the air so it goes over the shin and calf in a uniform manner rather than a disturbed wake. the socks most uk time triallists use save 3-5W when tested in the aero tunnel so even 1-2w for these guys will be a couple of tenths of a second which at this level is super important.

@The_One I don't think going below the black is an issue in team pursuit only the events when you're racing on track directly with someone.

any dipping below the line and you are shortening the lap

Soldato
The sharing of the gold for the mens high jump has got to be the best moment of the Olympics. :)

I'm aware there's some history between the two, but I think it's pretty poor that the two "finalists" get to choose to both share gold rather than declare an outright winner. The Olympics would be an absolute farce if this was an option that was taken for all events.

Back
Top Bottom