Did I cross a sleeping policeman?

Soldato
Took 12 days for my naughty boy letter to turn up 34 in a 30 at 2am, thanks North Wales police *****....

Even if you get a ticket you'll likeyhave a speed awareness course at that speed.

Soldato
Imo...no it shouldnt...

It wasnt in a built up area. It was on a dual carriageway going out of the city.....the speed van was placed not far from where the speed limit goes up to 50!

Last time I got done I had very similar. 40 going into a 50, Think I was doing 47. I got a speed awareness course and was the only one who successfully argued that my ticket was BS.

The road goes from 2 lanes to 3, which is where it goes from 40 to 50. There's a roundabout which is inbetween. 2 lanes one side, 3 the other. I u-turned on the roundabout and exited onto the 3 lane part of the road. The 50 sign is about 50m after. There's a single post. 50 on that side, 40 on the other for cars approaching the roundabout and the lanes going down from 3 to 2. Mobile camera.

There's absolutely no reason for that stretch of road to be 40 other than they've saved on not putting a 50 sign up where you enter the 3 lane road and stuck it on the back of the 40 coming the other way.

Soldato
Classic money generating setup. There is a couple in every town.

If it's an open road where the limit is low for seemingly no reason on a small stretch, there is a good bet camera vans will frequent it.
This all the way :( Surrey especially they know drivers love their countryside roads so plenty of stealth placement cameras waiting to catch drivers out who do not know the roads very well. Saw a few earlier this morning no reason for a 50 zone in the middle of the countryside long straight road dual carriageway but 2 cameras tucked away (1 either side of the road) so you can barely see them as they are near hedges which have grown to conceal the base! (but not conceal the lense!).

Must make thousands a week :eek:

Soldato
I got a speed awareness course and was the only one who successfully argued that my ticket was BS.

Fair play for that.

I'm surprised though normally these things are full of ***** who say "bit it's the law...."

Sheepal.

I like it where they go on about how speed is the biggest cause of accidents. It's like saying water is the biggest cause of drowning.

Soldato
I'm surprised though normally these things are full of ***** who say "bit it's the law...."

The law is an ass if if expects you to memorise a speed sign from the other side of the carriageway and expect that to apply to 3 lane carriageway which should be least 50 and is. Especially when you can see a 50mph sign in front of you and you've not passed another sign in that direction.

Caporegime
Classic money generating setup. There is a couple in every town.

If it's an open road where the limit is low for seemingly no reason on a small stretch, there is a good bet camera vans will frequent it.
And studies have shown if drivers feel the limit is arbitrarily low for no reason, like on a dual carriageway, often it will be ignored. I see no reason why a dual carriageway should have a limit under 50mph unless there’s some other issue such as inadequate slip road length, pedestrians potentially crossing the road etc.

Soldato
And studies have shown if drivers feel the limit is arbitrarily low for no reason, like on a dual carriageway, often it will be ignored. I see no reason why a dual carriageway should have a limit under 50mph unless there’s some other issue such as inadequate slip road length, pedestrians potentially crossing the road etc.

We have a stretch of dual carriageway which is 40 for no reason, right between a 60mph single lane and 70mph dual carriageway.

So yea if they are going out in the van they stick it there because most people boot it up to 70 coming off the roundabout. The 40mph sign is only the normal sized one you see on B roads, so easily missed on a large road.

Soldato
Imo...no it shouldnt...

It wasnt in a built up area. It was on a dual carriageway going out of the city.....the speed van was placed not far from where the speed limit goes up to 50!
I'll let you off then. We don't tend to have many roads like that around Hull. Typically 30 is where houses are and its 40/50/60/70 in less populated places.

Associate
OP
Update. Day 23, still no letter through the letterbox. Slowly creeping upto the 28 days so i'm feeling confident that i've been a lucky boy. I guess PC plod was having his breakfast and thought i'll make a few drivers cack themselves when they see the van on't bridge.

Caporegime
Update. Day 23, still no letter through the letterbox. Slowly creeping upto the 28 days so i'm feeling confident that i've been a lucky boy. I guess PC plod was having his breakfast and thought i'll make a few drivers cack themselves when they see the van on't bridge.

I suspect having a cop car on the bridge, clearly visible did more for reducing speed than the potential to get a fine weeks later, but for many police forces that sweet, sweet cashola is more important than actually reducing speeds.

Soldato
I suspect having a cop car on the bridge, clearly visible did more for reducing speed than the potential to get a fine weeks later, but for many police forces that sweet, sweet cashola is more important than actually reducing speeds.
Oh that's true, there is a spot in Hull just before an NSL that's 40 that they camp at (right at the bottom of a flyover and where a slip road joins so there's a lot to concentrate on at once). I don't mind cameras by schools and in 30 areas where pedestrians are, but sometimes it's just a blatant cash grab.

Associate
OP
It wasnt in a built up area. As i mentioned above.

I get that it wasn't in a built up area, but any vehicle doing 50 or more in a 30 is a straight court summons. Points and fines or awareness courses are given for speeds 35 to 49mph in a 30, unless an actual Officer pulls you and does you for also being on your phone or any other traffic offence, which could lead to a court appearance.

Soldato

There is no financial incentive for police to issue fines. The finance dept doesn't look at their ever-dwindling budget, phone the Road Safety Unit up and ask them to put some camera vans out on the road so they can keep the lights on at HQ.

Man of Honour
There is no financial incentive for police to issue fines. The finance dept doesn't look at their ever-dwindling budget, phone the Road Safety Unit up and ask them to put some camera vans out on the road so they can keep the lights on at HQ.
Indeed, I think forces get about £10-£15 per FPN for administrative costs, but the rest goes to the Treasury.

Back
Top Bottom