Road Cycling

Soldato
I think I heard we're in for a small heat wave, the next 12 days? Could be ideal with me off work next week :)

You may remember a couple of months back I organised a race for folk at work, two routes, based on the same roads, but one with a couple of extra bits for the faster guys. It was slow v fast and over a 3 hour ride, there was only 5 minutes in it, great fun. Well, I'm setting up the next one. A 7 mile loop, to be completed 3 times. The first 5 miles are generally level and down, the final 2 miles climbing all the way back up! Using Strava data I'm setting staggered start times. The fastest guy is currently setting off 40 minutes after the slowest guy starts :cry: Of the seven, I'm setting off 5th, 5 minutes ahead of the fastest guy and 3 minutes behind the 4th placed guy. People have been out practising the route already. Lots of talk and banter about it too :cry: It could (if the maths all works out) be a really interesting final 2 mile climb!

That sounds like a brilliant challenge.

Soldato
After my longer ride on Sunday, i had a bit of knee discomfort yesterday, then went on a ride with the wife to a local pub and on the flats i felt some knee pain again. Mainly when in a higher gear, if i dropped the gears a bit and focused more on a higher rpm it was a little easier.

One thing i noticed was that when my feet are on the pedals they drop down towards the outside, rather than being flat and wondering if that might be impacting the knee (at the moment i'm just on flat pedals and old running trainers. I do have some clipless pedals and mtb shoes but they're shoved in a cupboard as no cleats).
I did do some reading yesterday and when out last night i checked on my knees and they do seem to power straight down on the stroke rather than flaring out which seems to be a common cause of knee pain.

I did do an 8 mile run on some pretty uneven ground on Saturday so not sure if it's just due to some stiff muscles and lack of recovery or something else. I did however get out for a 7.5 mile run this morning and felt absolutely fine, so it's not something i'm hugely worried about, but i'm wondering if it might become a problem as rides get longer.

Is it just a case of something to be mindful of and see how things go, i wasn't sure if it's just some beginner pain which is likely to go as my quads strengthen/get used to the motion, or whether it's worth speaking to a LBS about bike fitting? There's a place called the Endurance Store in Wigan which seem to offer it cheaper than most (£75 and i have some vouchers for there too) and they are pretty keen triathletes and organise a lot of events so presume they're decent.

From my limited knowledge (and without a turbo), my position seems ok with regards to saddle height/position but obviously a 3rd party opinion would be better.

Also aware we can't have medical threads, but i'm confident it's not a knee issue, given i'm absolutely fine when running which would be putting a lot more stress on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing to add @Martynt74 other than you sound like a physical specimen. You do long runs for shiggles whilst the few runs I've been on (<4) ended with really bad shin splints and blowing out of my rear end after my first 5K.

Looking like Thursday is the day!

Soldato
Haha physical specimen i am not. I've been trying to up the volume and consistency a decent bit recently though and it's great how much better i feel for it. The last few months, i'd do around 2 runs one week of about 4 miles each and then the next week go out and do a 28 miler and wonder why it took a while to recover. This morning i actually felt better on the last two miles than the first 4 as my legs had finally loosened up.

As my stepdaughter once told the people she works with "My stepdad runs a lot and regularly does >20 mile runs, but you wouldn't think it to look at him" apparently they followed that up with suggesting i had a really good diet, to which she replied with "Not really, he eats lots of bread and cake and drinks lots of alcohol".

Soldato
Ha ha, yeah, I was a little surprised how little notice I got for a low Di2 battery, to the front mech not moving. It was only about 40 miles if I recall.

Now I just set myself a monthly reminder to charge it.
Monthly!? Really needed that much? I'd generally read of people doing it 6 monthly and figured I'd do mine quarterly...

Many/any in here had bad DI2 batteries or reduced life from them due to regularly charging?

Reminds me of the bloke I saw outside a bike shop in La Clusaz who’d packed up his disc brake road bike for travel but hadn’t put spacers in the callipers, so spent the first morning of his holiday getting someone to free up his front brake. :p
Haha gutted! I've only done this a couple of times, my usual is inverting the bike and only having 1 spacer in, so I pull a bunch of lever for the one I'm checking and because bike is inverted it's the wrong one... Doh!

i decided to leave the car and get a taxi home. A bike is a good option to have in that situation as the thought of running that distance whilst hungover would've filled me with dread!
Great 'safe' option and well done. Perfect to use a bike for that and not 'risk' things by driving the morning after... Providing you take care!

I've ridden with a stinking hangover a few times but never while still tipsy. It's damn hard sweaty work! Not quite like snowboarding when I seemed to board better hungerover/half-cut/non-sober! ;)

I fell off for a few weeks after I did my biggest run, but starting to get into regular shorter stints in the evening but will do a bigger run over the weekend.

Still love getting out and about on the bike, and everytime I feel lazy and dont go out - the next time I am out I kick myself for skipping a session lol!
As long as you keep coming back! Regularly riding certainly does help, also amazing for the spirit and to de-stress. Certainly while the weather is good/semi-good.

Things can be a real chore when the weather turns a little more 'British' and I can see why many stop over winter. For me it largely turns into a forging my willpower and practicing my stubbornness rather than any big fitness gains. I still enjoy it though, so I still de-stress.

I think I heard we're in for a small heat wave, the next 12 days? Could be ideal with me off work next week :)
Great news, but I'll believe it when it happens. I'm off next week too so likely it won't! The last few days it's really cooled down here, only warmer in the afternoons. Hate to say it, but feels like the season is about to change! Boohoo.

After my longer ride on Sunday, i had a bit of knee discomfort yesterday, then went on a ride with the wife to a local pub and on the flats i felt some knee pain again. Mainly when in a higher gear, if i dropped the gears a bit and focused more on a higher rpm it was a little easier.
I wouldn't read into it too much as you're just starting out. Although you're more 'in tune' with your body than many 'new' riders, you'll be using difference muscles and holding a very different position to your running so will see strain and soreness from it. I wouldn't worry too much about a 'bike fit' until you've got a decent amount of miles in, or are looking to change anything. Although someone with a bit of experience taking a 'look' at your position can always help. But I'm talking about a friend who already cycles, or posting a picture/video up somewhere from the side of you riding to see the angles and movement.

There are lots of 'self-help' things and basics you can get things close when doing things solo. Pedal stroke is probably the first to get your leg/foot extension right, as that's saddle height related. KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) would be the next to judge saddle fore/aft, then that leads onto stem length and bar height/position. So they're all really related and that's where I'd say to start and in that sequence. Others here will have some pointers here too, lots of videos and websites around online for it. Park tools have a load of good guides as do GCN on their channel, but there are so many out there.

Looking like Thursday is the day!
Woohoo! Exciting times!

Associate
Finally got around to stepping on the scales since i started cycling 6 months ago and down 13kg from where i started. Had a great ride out last night saw a lot of tractors and combines at work in the fields before the weather changes.

Soldato
Monthly!? Really needed that much? I'd generally read of people doing it 6 monthly and figured I'd do mine quarterly...

Many/any in here had bad DI2 batteries or reduced life from them due to regularly charging?

My Di2 CX bike hasn't been charged for months and left on the side with full battery still. got a stupid battery drain on my TT bike which means the battery lasts 2-3 days! I usually put the road bike on every couple of months. Got 4 bikes running Di2 now so usually put them all on charge on after the other.

Soldato
Oh and new wheels are on. Re-used the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TL 28mm tyres I had on the spare wheels. Rode these tyres a few hundred miles with tubes on the Zipp 30 Course and wasn't a fan. Still not now. They where so tight on the 30 Course I almost had to cut them off to unmount them. Thankfully fitting on the 303 S they where a much easier fit - didn't even need levers, just rolled on with thumbs. Front mounted first time with track pump, rear needed a little more persuasion but it had more bogies on the edges. Didn't have to resort to soap+water, just used my inflator and teased the bead outwards in a few places and it mounted 2nd or 3rd attempt. I think the bogies where sticking the beads together when in the centre channel (previously had different sealant in that wheel) so when gapped by my teasing they mounted quickly. They held pressure overnight without sealant, even after taking a couple of thorns out of the casing. Put around 50-75ml of Muck Off in there. Previously used Stans but think I prefer this!

QzxC8n4.jpg

SD9Z1cE.jpg
#aeroiseverything :cool:

Need to dig out the luggage scales to get a real measure of the weight difference. They ride quite different to the 30 course, being deeper and carbon vs the alloy. So stiff! They seem to hold speed well and the acceleration/pickup is superb with them. I've had to check my speed a few times into corners where before I didn't bother. Some of that could be (lack of) confidence in the tyres more than anything else. I'm running around 55-59 PSI rear and ~40 PSI front. According to the Zipp site it should be 59/52, but the front feels too wooden at that, but it does need a bit more after the first couple of rides, maybe 45-58, so around 10 less than the rear.

Last edited:
Soldato

Mine doesn't last terribly long. At least last two summers I noticed it can be going flat in around 2-3 weeks and maybe 500-700 miles. This year seems to have lasted longer bug I've done a lot less mileage as the weather has sucked so much.

I'm convinced something is wrong with it but not sure what. It doesn't drain during idle 6+ month periods.

Soldato
Yeah those Ribbles look really cool - aesthetically anyway!
So whilst today should be new bike day and I should be excited, it wouldn't be a proper Junglist's styled day if I don't fill it with some self imposed dread.
Compact/Mid-Compact... Is it going to be that much of a difference? I believe it has a 11-30 cassette on the back.

My friend is under the impression that 36x52 is for dedicated amateur racers, which of course I am the polar opposite from. I've been looking at gear ratios online and whilst I haven't had a geared bike for a few years now, I don't have anything to compare it to in real world terms.

My fixed gear has a ratio of about 2.8 and it seems the 30x36 gear would give it a ratio of about 1.22 which seems significantly easier but may still be trouble on some of the steepest hills.

I'm just going to ride it for a bit and see how I get on, worst case scenario I can get a new cassette suitable for my chicken legs.

Soldato
So whilst today should be new bike day and I should be excited, it wouldn't be a proper Junglist's styled day if I don't fill it with some self imposed dread.
Compact/Mid-Compact... Is it going to be that much of a difference? I believe it has a 11-30 cassette on the back.

My friend is under the impression that 36x52 is for dedicated amateur racers, which of course I am the polar opposite from. I've been looking at gear ratios online and whilst I haven't had a geared bike for a few years now, I don't have anything to compare it to in real world terms.

My fixed gear has a ratio of about 2.8 and it seems the 30x36 gear would give it a ratio of about 1.22 which seems significantly easier but may still be trouble on some of the steepest hills.

I'm just going to ride it for a bit and see how I get on, worst case scenario I can get a new cassette suitable for my chicken legs.

stop overthinking it. it you ride fixed you'll be fine.

Soldato
I'm my own worst enemy at times.

My pedals and other bits are coming tomorrow. the sensible side of me says to wait to test ride it. The impatient side of me wants to just put my cage pedals on there and take it for a quick blast up and down the cycle path.

Soldato

Be excited dammit. Plus the weather is looking decent :)

I think you'll be fine. You'll likely have much stronger legs than you realise from riding a fixed bike. As a complete beginner i made it up some 12% climbs on Sunday being >100kg so plenty of weight and my rear cassette is only 11-28 albeit with a 48/32T up front giving 1.14. What kind of hills do you have % wise?

Also i'd definitely get out tonight :p

Last edited:
Associate
I'm my own worst enemy at times.

My pedals and other bits are coming tomorrow. the sensible side of me says to wait to test ride it. The impatient side of me wants to just put my cage pedals on there and take it for a quick blast up and down the cycle path.

I ride 52x36 and either an 11-28 or 11-30 (winter wheels). I am 83kg (i.e. not a climber) and live in hilly Wales and I find it fine. Unless you are regularly riding category 1 climbs (very few in the UK) then there is little need for a compact, especially if you are used to riding a fixie. Remember your carbon bike will be light and stiff when you climb.

Just ride!

Soldato
Anyone been checking out ribbles new aero bikes

Really innovative
What makes you say that? The marketing?

Hambini is not usually one I'd link here (as he's very marmite) but he has a video on it. He's pretty scathing but more of the marketing and such of Ribble themselves, not actually of the frame. There's a few bits in there which do mention the design elements, but he doesn't actually prove/disprove the design or say that much about it that sets it apart from any other. He focusses on Ribbles testing and how their numbers are utter marketing junk ('A+ wankateering'). My link is to his summary where the language is a bit better, but the whole thing is worth watching if you can put up with him. Some days I like him and find him funny, other days I think he's clickbait and doing/saying things to cause reaction. I know he does but in reality he's a very experienced engineer with far more knowledge than most of the bike industry. But with the mindset and language of a child. If you can get through that and 'find the meat' in his videos they're on point.

Mine doesn't last terribly long. At least last two summers I noticed it can be going flat in around 2-3 weeks and maybe 500-700 miles. This year seems to have lasted longer bug I've done a lot less mileage as the weather has sucked so much.

I'm convinced something is wrong with it but not sure what. It doesn't drain during idle 6+ month periods.

I think it's about every 1,500 miles from my experience thus far. I think I average around 600 to 700 a month, so I actually have my reminder set for every 50 days.

Thanks both, useful. Do any of the e-tube stuff give you a battery indicator, or an alert which could be triggered when it reaches 'low'? Or could that be more of a bluetooth feature to a smartphone app rather than a head unit?

Back
Top Bottom