Road Cycling

Soldato
@touch epic ride mate. Where'd that come from!? An audax event or just fancied a day out?! :D :o

Thank's @Roady - You're going to be sick of how many times I'm racking your brain about different bits. I just can't help it, I'm really excited go get going and it's become a complete obsession the last few months.
Haha it's good to see and kinda encourage new riders - we all know how that obsession is. I'd like to think it doesn't diminish that much too - but once the nights start drawing in, it can get a bit of a chore to head out. So starting the 'right way' with some kit choices can go a long way in assisting that. But the obsession with gear, bikes and equipment never really fades!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing" - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

I saw this on Decathlon which seemed a decent option. Seems the sleeves are removable to go from a jacket to a Gilet.
Not sure how well it would perform vs 2 separate items though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rcr-convertible-road-cycling-jacket/_/R-p-312763
Seems a good garment and Decathlon kit has always seemed good value, don't own any myself (nor ever tried any) so can't tell you how the fit is... You might find the sizing is more 'normal' rather than 'cyclist'.

Convertable is a neat idea but the actual number of times it'll be useful of it is probably quite low. If they do one similar money with long sleeves then it's a choice, if the convertible is more money they just get the LS version. Castelli have done convertible Gabbas before and they've never really become a 'thing'. Couple of people I know with them never ride them without the sleeves.

Shame we're all so far apart. Would've loved to have joined some of you on some rides when I get stronger and not such a liability
You say that, I'm only in Hereford so not a million miles away. Haven't cycled further south than Chepstow but Gloucester is within reach, just not much to ride that direction so never needed to ride there. I've always meant to go south and ride around Weston/Cheddar/etc but never got around to it.

When things get more back to normal, organised Sportives are a great focal point to meet a few - a defined date and route without any organising really required.

It's ok, i know i'm sorted for clothing :D

https://fatladattheback.com/products/mens-cycling-jersey-will-ride-for-cake?variant=29221920637027&currency=GBP&utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=CjwKCAjwgviIBhBkEiwA10D2j96lidCgR7F1cf7fVO5pGDs0g0M4Z5nC4EdvgltnEwQ2mnIbvIwzBRoCO0gQAvD_BwE

What's amusing is i've seen a lot of group ride posts being promoted to me on Facebook under the group FLAB and only just realised it's a community that's sprung up from this company.
FLAB have been around a while, they do quite good kit and their events have always read well. They're just another 'brand' really, some of their kit doesn't even come in 'XXXL' sizing... Many of the more 'American' kinda brands will size up larger/longer if that's what you specifically need.

But one thing I'd say, being new don't invest too much into lots of expensive cycling kit which fits you right now... If you get hooked properly you'll rapidly lose 'bulk'. Especially in cycling kit. I was an XL, but now usually a M or L, sometimes a S in some jerseys. I quickly moved from a 'Large' in normal clothes to a medium. Took a few more years but I'm now a small in some stuff there too (like Superdry). :cool:

Soldato
@touch epic ride mate. Where'd that come from!? An audax event or just fancied a day out?! :D :o

Thanks. My GF has gone to visit her family this week so I'm in the house on my own. Decided to go for a wee adventure. I took all my camping kit with me and the plan was just to ride as far as I could then stop for the night and do the rest the next day but I felt better than expected so just kept riding. It's a long time since I've done a big ride like that so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

I've been following the tracker for the GBDuro the past few days as well, so that's inspired me to get out too.

Last edited:
Soldato
@touch
Haha it's good to see and kinda encourage new riders - we all know how that obsession is. I'd like to think it doesn't diminish that much too - but once the nights start drawing in, it can get a bit of a chore to head out. So starting the 'right way' with some kit choices can go a long way in assisting that. But the obsession with gear, bikes and equipment never really fades!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing" - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Yeah and I am amazing at finding excuses as to why I can't go out into the cold weather. I'm going to start stocking up on some nice winter gear though.

Literally can't wait to get my bike now it's ordered and I am glad I decided to go for the Disc option as when I had reserved the rim brake option I was hunting around the web for justification of rim over disc and I never found the opinions I needed to justify it to myself :p But luckily now it means I have until October to get some nice rides in before the weather takes a dip

Soldato
I don't think I've ever completed a check out process so quickly before! I forgot to add my accessories haha.

Went back and ordered a Wahoo Bolt v2 and a front light& bike computer mount.

All the gear and no idea!

Haha yeah, i've been there!

I got out today with the cadence sensors, definitely worth while purchase and it helped to show me when i was in the wrong gear and so i could adjust the gear to keep around the 80-90 mark, so i see the points above about cadence being more useful during rides rather than for post ride analysis. I guess similar to just starting out running it's hard to gauge things like speed/cadence without a visual prompt.

I think an "out front" mount would certainly be better and i may consider one, it felt like i was having to divert my eyes too much looking down at the stem. The Garmin watch worked well though, i just need to create some new data screens. I think one split into 4 with Speed, Cadence, HR and Distance will be all i'll really need. On todays ride Cadence was split off, so it was either see that or see other info. Garmin really need to allow Data Screen customisation in the app, it'd be so much better.

Definitely a no-no on this bike frame bag i bought which has a clear phone holder. It just wouldn't be useable so may as well return it for something with more useable storage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YD6HDX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also for @Junglist i told you it was fun starting out and getting lots of PR's. Ignore the Vicarage lane one, i had to stop for a breather half way up! in hindsight i should've just got out the saddle and just recovered at the top.

S1IngbE.png

Soldato
EDIT: Went pretty deep (again) on the WTRL TTT last night and still couldn't hold onto the group. They where riding well! Couple of chases and a huge close, but knew I hadn't got the legs before the final climb so called early to leave me. Brutal - popped at least 3 times. I've been hiding my HR the last couple of weeks and it is 'allowing' me to go deeper for longer (stopping the mind games) but still not really progressing me much further power wise to finish with the team! Serves me right riding with B's and A's I guess (I'm a C) :cry:

One job this weekend is whipping off the Hutchingson Fusion 5's from the spare wheels (I've never ridden) and seeing if they'll mount on the new Zipp 303 S wheels. If they're a tight fit I do have a set of 28mm GP 4Seasons, although they're not tubeless, will at least get me out on the wheels... Sunday is the plan as tomorrow is an utter write off (heavy rain forecast all day!).

Anyone with any tips on clearing out old sealant for remounting tyres? Just scrub with degreaser after wiping away with paper towels, seen some mentions of warm & soapy water?

I've been following the tracker for the GBDuro the past few days as well, so that's inspired me to get out too.
That's some inspiration! Hadn't spotted that one, good ethos but very 'clickbait-y' in the way most of their site reads.

Did inspire me to run through their carbon footprint thingy, seems like I'm quite low anyway. 3.9 for me with the average for the UK being 6.5!

All the gear and no idea!
Welcome to the club!

Also for @Junglist i told you it was fun starting out and getting lots of PR's. Ignore the Vicarage lane one, i had to stop for a breather half way up! in hindsight i should've just got out the saddle and just recovered at the top.

S1IngbE.png
Bear in mind you don't get a PR for something you've not ridden before...!

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the club!
Someone rang? :D

Just a note; don't take your bike to the alps and forget your di2 charger... I have an expensive single speed! It's crap on flats and crap on hills in this ratio! I should have also checked what I had on the rear. A 25 at home is fine on the flats... I'd have liked at least a 28 out here, maybe 32 if the RD would take it!! Nope.

Soldato
Ha ha, yeah, I was a little surprised how little notice I got for a low Di2 battery, to the front mech not moving. It was only about 40 miles if I recall.

Now I just set myself a monthly reminder to charge it.

Soldato
Ha ha, yeah, I was a little surprised how little notice I got for a low Di2 battery, to the front mech not moving. It was only about 40 miles if I recall.
I left this bike at a mates for 6 weeks, went to get it and took it right from there so had in my head to remember the charger, but didn't!! I should take one everywhere I go really at this point. This has happened many times now ha

Soldato
Someone rang? :D

Just a note; don't take your bike to the alps and forget your di2 charger... I have an expensive single speed! It's crap on flats and crap on hills in this ratio! I should have also checked what I had on the rear. A 25 at home is fine on the flats... I'd have liked at least a 28 out here, maybe 32 if the RD would take it!! Nope.

Reminds me of the bloke I saw outside a bike shop in La Clusaz who’d packed up his disc brake road bike for travel but hadn’t put spacers in the callipers, so spent the first morning of his holiday getting someone to free up his front brake. :p

Soldato
First "long" ride yesterday at around 21 miles. Had gone to my sisters on Saturday and on realising how much later than expected the food was going to be, and surrounded by people drinking, i decided to leave the car and get a taxi home. A bike is a good option to have in that situation as the thought of running that distance whilst hungover would've filled me with dread!

Following the route on my watch was easy enough, whilst a little small. It will definitely do the job for the time being until i'm confident i'll stick with cycling long term and can justify something like the Edge.

Certainly not my finest bike ride, given the amount of alcohol dripping out of me and lots of stops for rests, but i enjoyed it, helped by the fact the weather was decent and some of the roads/views were good. I certainly need to have more confidence on descents as i found i constantly was using the brake to avoid going too fast, same with corners, i'll slow down massively going into them and take them very wide.

Can definitely see me increasing distance quickly enough.

Soldato
My bike is on the way to me! Super excited!

Annoyingly work haven't paid for the cycle-to-work certificate yet so I can't get my pedals/shoes/helmet etc but I can put the cages from my fixie onto the road bike until the other bits turn up.

give me all the hills!

Soldato
I fell off for a few weeks after I did my biggest run, but starting to get into regular shorter stints in the evening but will do a bigger run over the weekend.

Still love getting out and about on the bike, and everytime I feel lazy and dont go out - the next time I am out I kick myself for skipping a session lol!

Soldato
I think I heard we're in for a small heat wave, the next 12 days? Could be ideal with me off work next week :)

You may remember a couple of months back I organised a race for folk at work, two routes, based on the same roads, but one with a couple of extra bits for the faster guys. It was slow v fast and over a 3 hour ride, there was only 5 minutes in it, great fun. Well, I'm setting up the next one. A 7 mile loop, to be completed 3 times. The first 5 miles are generally level and down, the final 2 miles climbing all the way back up! Using Strava data I'm setting staggered start times. The fastest guy is currently setting off 40 minutes after the slowest guy starts :cry: Of the seven, I'm setting off 5th, 5 minutes ahead of the fastest guy and 3 minutes behind the 4th placed guy. People have been out practising the route already. Lots of talk and banter about it too :cry: It could (if the maths all works out) be a really interesting final 2 mile climb!

Back
Top Bottom