• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

Soldato
OP
From MLID: The i5 12600k is a 5800x killer - you get more performance and cheaper price (as long as you have Windows 11)

Permabanned
There will be price wars incoming.

AMD will forget the overcharging they are currently practicing on the whole poor Ryzen 5000 line.

Soldato
OP
Turn PBO off.

I can do this and yes it definitely helps - but the cpu is then slower than the 3950x it replaced in anything that's multithreaded and there is my conundrum, why did I buy the 5950x if it's slower than the 3950x which was 100% stable with PBO and heavily overclocked memory

Associate
There will be price wars incoming.

AMD will forget the overcharging they are currently practicing on the whole poor Ryzen 5000 line.
What they need to do is tell Sony, we won't be able to deliver your X or XX million next quarter due to <insert excuse here> and use some of those PS5 wafers for Zen3.

While, I'm sure Ryzen 5000 will sell a lot more at more reasonable prices all that would happen ATM is they'd totally run out of stock and consoles are hogging all the wafers.

Permabanned
What they need to do is tell Sony, we won't be able to deliver your X or XX million next quarter due to <insert excuse here> and use some of those PS5 wafers for Zen3.

While, I'm sure Ryzen 5000 will sell a lot more at more reasonable prices all that would happen ATM is they'd totally run out of stock and consoles are hogging all the wafers.

AMD has shifted all the manufacturing capacity for its CPUs, hence the GPUs and the consoles are impossible to be found in retail.

Soldato
12900k appears in geekbench 5, beats 5950x by 12% in single thread and 3% in multi thread

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...x-in-leaked-single-core-geekbench-5-benchmark

Hmm, somewhat interestingly that is only a 2% Single Core improvement over the 11900K, that's not so great... Does spank it on the Multi-core though.

Given the headline numbers (125W/5.3GHz boost) are the same between the two if that is only 2% IPC improvement then that's a long way away from the 19% claimed, and frankly not enough... But it could well be boosting higher than the 11700K in single core loads so not entirely clear.

Soldato
Hmm, somewhat interestingly that is only a 2% Single Core improvement over the 11900K, that's not so great... Does spank it on the Multi-core though.

Given the headline numbers (125W/5.3GHz boost) are the same between the two if that is only 2% IPC improvement then that's a long way away from the 19% claimed, and frankly not enough... But it could well be boosting higher than the 11700K in single core loads so not entirely clear.

Cant be only 2%, i know it wont be 19% but 2 sounds all wrong

Soldato
Cant be only 2%, i know it wont be 19% but 2 sounds all wrong

Why can't it be 2%? </devils advocate> :p

But that's what the link says...

As said there's multiple caveats though, not just clockspeed but it's also just one synthetic benchmark and not a particularly good benchmark at that.

Intels own slides showed under some benchmarks it's slower (IPC/fixed clockspeed) than Rocket Lake, so 2% is definitely in a realistic range, the question is how does this relate to real world tasks, are games/things people are actually interested in going to be closer to 2% (or less!) or the 19% average, or even the ~60% high end of the slide Intel provided.

I suspect it won't relate that closely, because as mentioned Geekbench is a poor/useless benchmark overall. But we won't find out for sure until the reviews come out obviously

Soldato
If Intel can get within 2% of Zen 3 that’s a hell of an achievement TBH.

If that’s with all Intels current security holes plugged, a 8+8 CPU DDR5 Intel system with boat loads of memory could be rather attractive for many workloads.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The demands for 0003 chips is supposedly extremely high.

0003 chips?
If there is an extremely high demand, it is hidden from us, we don't actually see all those "imaginary" or "virtual" sales wherever they happen.
Maybe they happen somewhere behind the scenes?!

Back
Top Bottom