A dog is for life, not just for lockdowns

Soldato
I understand that, I suppose. But people don't think ahead? Like.... I don't get it. They want to get rid of them now?
People have kids all the time without actually thinking about it, and the future consequences, so getting a dog is basically the same, they'll use it up in our throw away society, then seek to offload or dump it when they get bored or don't have the time anymore.

Associate
The wife and I would love to get a dog, but we've decided to wait until we are retired so that we can look after it properly.

At least the lockdowns made dog purchasing more expensive so that the peabrains have waste more money.

Soldato
People whose sole existence seems to revolve around keeping up appearances are a stain.

These are actually some wise words, because ultimately, that's likely what the majority of these cases are. People just buying puppies because so-and-so has got one for their kids.

We actually bought our dog about 3-4 months before the lockdowns hit (he's just turned two) and despite the fact he can be a right little monster for a good part of the day, i wouldn't give him up for the world.

Personally i think people should be handed lifetime bans of pet ownership if they're returning a pet because it no longer fits in with their lifestyle.

V F

V F

Soldato
The wife and I would love to get a dog, but we've decided to wait until we are retired so that we can look after it properly.

At least the lockdowns made dog purchasing more expensive so that the peabrains have waste more money.

Think of it, when one gets a dog that's potentially 11 - 15 years of life, time, demand and maintenance. More so near the end of their life. From medication and other symptoms that can develop near the end of their time.

Like my dog currently that has Glaucoma. It can lead to blindness of not treated and maintained for Shih-Tzus. I have to use drops in his eyes 4 - 6 times a day to stop his eyes drying out and Optimmune every 12 hours a day to keep the infection at bay.

If not maintained mucus starts to form leading to cloudiness of the eyes, redness of the whites and temporary blindness that can lead up to long term blindness if not maintained.

This will be maintenance until his death as there is no cure for it with the way their eyes are made. Plus arthritis in his rear legs and back.

Soldato
I nearly got another dog for lockdown... but not just for lockdown, but figured it'd be a good time to get them trained and that while I was home. I think people who get dogs and give them up are just heartless. How can you give up a dog?!

Associate
My dog who i've had for 15.5 years was unwanted when he reached the age of 10 months old, the ex owner gave him to me, they then went out and got another dog within months wtf? he's been no trouble either.

a neighbour of mine recently got a dog from abroad after being refused by many dog shelters in the uk. reason he was refused was because he works from 7am to 4 or 5pm. quite right they refused him. now the poor dog can be heard howling off and on all day. apparently its ******* and pooing everywhere (its a pup). fancy getting a pup for it only to be left alone for so long instead of sourcing an older dog that may be more used to time alone. my neighbour is a ******.

Caporegime
I really don't get these lockdown puppy people, I'd love a dog but couldn't look after it properly atm so don't have one. The idea of getting one a temporary comfort for covid seems sickening.
A really young couple opposite me got a dog in lockdown.

I was on the balcony one day and saw the guy coming home from work, his partner was waiting outside.

he opens the door and she's like surprise :rolleyes:

the next day they were outside arguing about something and shes crying, the only thing I could make out was "why are you doing this to me"

I wonder if he wanted rid of the dog.... I've seen them walk it maybe 3-4x in a year, the last time was a few days ago, I was actually wondering if they still had it

how can people not realise how much hardwork a dog is and that they will probably wreck your house whilst your out.

Soldato
OP
I nearly got another dog for lockdown... but not just for lockdown, but figured it'd be a good time to get them trained and that while I was home. I think people who get dogs and give them up are just heartless. How can you give up a dog?!
Were dog training places closed during lockdown? Plus dog trainers that come to the house or a neutral place such as parks, weren’t allowed to happen either.

Associate
Think of it, when one gets a dog that's potentially 11 - 15 years of life, time, demand and maintenance. More so near the end of their life. From medication and other symptoms that can develop near the end of their time.

Like my dog currently that has Glaucoma. It can lead to blindness of not treated and maintained for Shih-Tzus. I have to use drops in his eyes 4 - 6 times a day to stop his eyes drying out and Optimmune every 12 hours a day to keep the infection at bay.

If not maintained mucus starts to form leading to cloudiness of the eyes, redness of the whites and temporary blindness that can lead up to long term blindness if not maintained.

This will be maintenance until his death as there is no cure for it with the way their eyes are made. Plus arthritis in his rear legs and back.

The little chap is part of the family, that is amazing care. :)

A girlfriend, who was a veterinary nurse told me about dogs which have genetic or inherent problems, take for example, a German Shepherd which are stunning dogs and can be prone to spinal issues. Would some of these idiots have a clue about a breed and their inherent problems...

Back
Top Bottom