• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Me too, the curtain is twitching!

Not got any games yet though.

Unless you know already when you sign up to PS+ you get access to the PS+ Collection which has 20 games in it also the 3 month of September Plus games. You also get Astrobot as Moogleys mentioned which really show cases the controller off and is a very decent game.

Soldato
Unless you know already when you sign up to PS+ you get access to the PS+ Collection which has 20 games in it also the 3 month of September Plus games. You also get Astrobot as Moogleys mentioned which really show cases the controller off and is a very decent game.

Thanks for this info (also @MOOGLEYS ).
I have no idea how things operate online with the ps5. Do I have to pay a subscription for these extra games? Also, I've ordered a console package with no games bundled in, will I still get access to Astrobot anyway?

Soldato
I have no idea how things operate online with the ps5. Do I have to pay a subscription for these extra games? Also, I've ordered a console package with no games bundled in, will I still get access to Astrobot anyway?
Astrobot is preloaded and free. Online play requires a yearly subscription and that will get you the extra 20 ps+ collection and 3 games a month for every month you sub. Cdkeys and places like it generally get you a 12 month sub cheaper than buying it direct from Sony.

Man of Honour
I ordered mine in the morning when they first started letting people through who were queuing, so yours will probably be dispatched early next week.

Fingers crossed. Good to know they’ve started shipping some.

Astrobot is preloaded and free. Online play requires a yearly subscription and that will get you the extra 20 ps+ collection and 3 games a month for every month you sub. Cdkeys and places like it generally get you a 12 month sub cheaper than buying it direct from Sony.

That’s not a bad shout. PSNow works out £10 cheaper. That’s not a bad deal, especially considering I’ll mostly start with some slightly older games and will only buy the occasional exclusive and games that better utilise the controller vs the XSX. Alternatively I might just buy what I play.

Last edited:
Soldato
1TB 980 Pro SSD installed

IMG-20210918-145802.jpg

About 5600MB/s reported in the test.

On a side note that's a nearly 1 year old PS5 with a solid amount of use per week, and barely any dust inside. Was expecting to have to give it a blow out but just needed a gentle wipe in a couple of places.

Soldato
PS+ is needed for online play for games that are not free to play (if you paid for the game you need to pay for online play) and online backup of your save games. Don't buy from Sony directly as you can almost always buy cheaper from a third party such a shopto https://www.shopto.net/en/sony-ps-membership/?country=uk&sort_by=base_price_asc

Associate
PS+ is needed for online play for games that are not free to play and online backup of your save games. Don't buy from Sony directly as you can always buy cheaper from a third party such a shopto https://www.shopto.net/en/sony-ps-membership/?country=uk&sort_by=base_price_asc
You can also buy PSN cards at a discount from retailers like Instant Gaming or ShopTo, usually 15%-20%, and then purchase the subscription directly from the PSN store. They will usually have discounts on the subscription around Black Friday and Christmas, if you renew it when it's discounted with PSN cards it works out around £30 per year IIRC.

Soldato

On a side note that's a nearly 1 year old PS5 with a solid amount of use per week, and barely any dust inside. Was expecting to have to give it a blow out but just needed a gentle wipe in a couple of places.

The SSD does seem to run 2-3 cooler without the plate, i have seen speculation that the plate was put in place to stop dust build up on the SSD heatsink. If you live a ultra clean house or clean the console you should be able to drop the cover.

I have the same HS it's like it was made for the job, i bought mine before they doubled in price from £8 something to what they are now.

Soldato
You can also buy PSN cards at a discount from retailers like Instant Gaming or ShopTo, usually 15%-20%, and then purchase the subscription directly from the PSN store. They will usually have discounts on the subscription around Black Friday and Christmas, if you renew it when it's discounted with PSN cards it works out around £30 per year IIRC.
Did i not link Shopto? Or did i edit my post after i don't remember as i'm tipsy.

Soldato

IMG-20210918-145802.jpg

I got my 980 Pro today and got similar results, i moved/copied GT sport from the internal in no time at all.

Soldato
The SSD does seem to run 2-3 cooler without the plate, i have seen speculation that the plate was put in place to stop dust build up on the SSD heatsink. If you live a ultra clean house or clean the console you should be able to drop the cover.

I have the same HS it's like it was made for the job, i bought mine before they doubled in price from £8 something to what they are now.

It uses negative pressure for cooling without the plate it would not work as well. I also have the same heatsink with a WD Black drive it reported 6800MB/s crazy speeds really.

Soldato
It uses negative pressure for cooling without the plate it would not work as well. I also have the same heatsink with a WD Black drive it reported 6800MB/s crazy speeds really.

It works better because the fan pulls more air over it and cools better than the negative air pressure effect. Sony may have gone for the middle ground on temp to stop people's SSD over heating in the long run because of dust build up that would happen without the cover.

Soldato

IMG-20210918-145802.jpg

Mine has lots of dust.

On the outside and the controllers as I have not used it in months lol

Soldato
Hooked up mine yesterday, mainly just to wet it up. Surprised that I managed to downloafe maybe a dozen game in 3 hours. I also wanted to claim the ps collection:p. It's a right beast though even compared to my pro. Also my Mrs thinks the designer should be shot:cry:.

Soldato

IMG-20210918-145802.jpg

You’re only getting 5600MB/S because the 980’s come with bugged firmware. You need to update it before using with the PS5, otherwise the speed will reduce even further over time as the drive fills up.

Back
Top Bottom