Has the Human race become lazy

Caporegime
To be fair they are correct. I can remember when I was doing my GCSE's they gave the same kids O levels from the 1950's or something and they failed miserably.

My grandad was working on computers when they filled entire rooms and had massive valves. His intelligence was off the scale.

Well yeah, the curriculum for a 1950s test would be more about training you to be a computer than build or operate one

Caporegime
You're special ;)

I was meaning in the old days there used to be magazines with programs written inside them so people could type them out on the computer and play a game.

At 32 you had the good days in computers that games nearly instantly appeared. In my day (old man white stick shaking) we had to sit around for 5 to 10 minutes before a game would load on the tape c64, and even then sometimes it would run to the end of the tape and click stop, and we'd have to wait another 5 to 10 minutes again. There is a noticable difference in my observations of the patience of the younger gamers vs the 1980s gamers.

Most games were Indy developed, many becoming the top selling games. These days we only really see a handful that make it to the top. There is a film all about how kids went from programming in their bedroom to become billionaires. Kids today have all the modern advantages yet there is a lack of creativity in the gaming industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Bedrooms_to_Billions

But the world moved on, you can't program a competitive gave in your room any more you already need the millions.

It's like saying engineering is going down because people don't build their own little attempts at aeroplane now because these days a plane needs to meet a hell of a lot of regulation.

No ones coding games in their bedrooms these days because it's no longer the simple and easy thing it was back then.

No home brew f1 team either, or nearly everything now .

But a more succinct counter point is "you didn't do then either"

Soldato
But the world moved on, you can't program a competitive gave in your room any more you already need the millions.

It's like saying engineering is going down because people don't build their own little attempts at aeroplane now because these days a plane needs to meet a hell of a lot of regulation.

No ones coding games in their bedrooms these days because it's no longer the simple and easy thing it was back then.

No home brew f1 team either, or nearly everything now .

But a more succinct counter point is "you didn't do then either"
Ya'll need to venture out of triple A games on consoles lol.

In fact, you can even self develop for consoles now.

Literally no idea where you have got any of that rubbish from.

Associate
To be fair they are correct. I can remember when I was doing my GCSE's they gave the same kids O levels from the 1950's or something and they failed miserably.

My grandad was working on computers when they filled entire rooms and had massive valves. His intelligence was off the scale.

Conversely, If you'd given the kids from the 1950's your GCSEs to take, there would be parts of it *they'd* fail at. Education has changed over the years to emphasise different skills and sets of knowledge. It used to be a lot heavier on rote learning and just remembering facts and figures, now there is a lot more emphasis on critical thinking and learning to be able to work things out. (obviously that's an over simplification - but in general). We've made significant advances in most areas of human knowledge in the last 70 years (science, technology, engineering, medicine), so there is no reason to think we've no also advanced in the area of education - i.e. we're probably educating our youth better now than we were in the 1950s.

Man of Honour
Was it 'The Machine Stops'? (THE MACHINE STOPS ... E.M. Forster (visbox.com), The Machine Stops - Wikipedia). Fantastic story which I've read a few times. Dates back to 1909.

No, it wasn't that story. I think that it was inspired by that story. There are similar themes - the growing aversion to even being near another person, for example - but the ending is very different. In the story I'm thinking of, the machine didn't stop. It wasn't one machine, anyway. It was far more distributed. The automation carried on working perfectly. The human population just diminished due to general lack of interest.

I had a vague memory of Isaac Asimov as the author, but I can't find anything that matches.

Caporegime

They aren't making billions though are they?

Caporegime
I would have agreed with OP if he had given some genuine examples of bad modern technology. But a modern car? LMAO. Why? Wasn't the comfortable suspension, seamless automatic gearbox and quiet efficient hybrid / electric engine not to your liking? Auto lights and auto wipers. Damn I can't believe people actually had to remember to turn lights on and off.

I actually just got a robot vacuum a few weeks back and my god. I wish I had done it sooner. It's absolutely fantastic and better than I thought it would be. Cheap enough too even though I just bought a very expensive cordless shark the year before and gave away our brilliant fully working Miele as the mrs was complaining about lugging it around whilst pregnant.

Soldato
Becoming more lazy in rubbish. There’s a house by some traffic lights which I usually stop at. In their drive, there is an old fridge freezer which has been there since I bought my current car 2.5 years ago. How can anyone have this on their drive for so long?

Associate
I would have agreed with OP if he had given some genuine examples of bad modern technology. But a modern car? LMAO. Why? Wasn't the comfortable suspension, seamless automatic gearbox and quiet efficient hybrid / electric engine not to your liking? Auto lights and auto wipers. Damn I can't believe people actually had to remember to turn lights on and off.

I actually just got a robot vacuum a few weeks back and my god. I wish I had done it sooner. It's absolutely fantastic and better than I thought it would be. Cheap enough too even though I just bought a very expensive cordless shark the year before and gave away our brilliant fully working Miele as the mrs was complaining about lugging it around whilst pregnant.

Auto lights not always a positive... Ive been dazzled before in "daytime" by auto lit cars... not helpful to safety

Caporegime
Auto lights not always a positive... Ive been dazzled before in "daytime" by auto lit cars... not helpful to safety

Probably not auto lit but someone has left them on tbh.

I've never had any across several cars that have come on during daylight driving unless in a dark tunnel.

Soldato
I think when Amazon launched that robot the other day it would not look out of place in that film. I'm of the opinion our future will be a cross between Terminator & Matrix unless we keep Machine AI in check, that's if Climate change doesn't make us extinct first.
At this point I'm cheering on climate change to kill us all ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom