The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
This is just as much a problem. Klopp and Guardiola are literally a tier above everyone else.

They might be but Ole is 3 tiers below the top guys. I don’t think we are going to get Pep or Klopp but is Ole seriously the best we can do. You don’t need the best manager to win things. You need one who is at least eating at the top table though. Ole ain’t close.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nobody was demanding Tuchel so that is pure hindsight. Poch has hardly set things alight at PSG so I'm unconvinced.

I’d have happily taken Tuchel. Rated him before he went to PSG. Still rate Poch and the PSG job is a poison chalice. Only way you can be considered a success is by winning the CL.

There’s no point talking about replacement managers at any rate. United ain’t sacking Ole any time soon and we never have any sort of proactive plan in place so we will get whoever is available at short notice whenever Ole eventually gets the boot.

Soldato
They might be but Ole is 3 tiers below the top guys. I don’t think we are going to get Pep or Klopp but is Ole seriously the best we can do. You don’t need the best manager to win things. You need one who is at least eating at the top table though. Ole ain’t close.
Potter has Brighton playing better football than United. I'm not saying he is the answer but his coaching would appear to be at least on a par.

Soldato
I’d have happily taken Tuchel. Rated him before he went to PSG. Still rate Poch and the PSG job is a poison chalice. Only way you can be considered a success is by winning the CL.

There’s no point talking about replacement managers at any rate. United ain’t sacking Ole any time soon and we never have any sort of proactive plan in place so we will get whoever is available at short notice whenever Ole eventually gets the boot.
Can the manager of PSG be considered a failure if he doesn’t win the league though…

I was a massive fan of Poch when he was at saints and begrudgingly admired his work at Spurs but I would say he has failed badly at PSG to date.

Caporegime
Exactly it is all ifs and buts.

Poch as said has hardly set the world on fire. Ole beat Tuchel more than once. Tuchel isn't a Man Utd coach. Just a more modern Mourhino. He won a Champions League but so did Di Matteo.

I do like Potter but just like Moyes who was fantastic with Everton I am not sure if he could cope with big players.

Ancelotti and Benitez are about the only ones I wouldn't mind but both have question marks over their recent form.

Zidane can't speak English so would be useless in England.

It still doesn't change that there are no managers at Klopp/Guardiola level.

Ole has his flaws but he is still on the level as the other 18 premier League managers.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Can the manager of PSG be considered a failure if he doesn’t win the league though…

I was a massive fan of Poch when he was at saints and begrudgingly admired his work at Spurs but I would say he has failed badly at PSG to date.

I wouldn't say hes failed badly at PSG but winning the league should be the minimum there. As I said, its a poison chalice. As amazing as it might seem that you have got Mbappe, Neymar and Messi in the same squad, is that really that great.

You can see with Ronaldo at United that he basically thinks he runs the place already and was coaching from the sidelines. Players shouldn't be doing that. Imagine trying to manage the egos of Neymar and Mbappe and a bunch of players who all think they are above listening to a coach. "Can you track back occasionally guys? No? OK."

Either way, this is his second season with PSG. Lets see how he gets on.

Ole is in his 3rd season and has been backed massively and hasn't improved us in any areas apart from personnel.

Soldato
Potter would have been my shout but i didnt want to drop him in here lmao. I actually think Arsenal should be looking at Potter to replace Arsenal. Well that was until he became the new Wenger after a single game.

I wouldn't say hes failed badly at PSG but winning the league should be the minimum there. As I said, its a poison chalice. As amazing as it might seem that you have got Mbappe, Neymar and Messi in the same squad, is that really that great.

You can see with Ronaldo at United that he basically thinks he runs the place already and was coaching from the sidelines. Players shouldn't be doing that. Imagine trying to manage the egos of Neymar and Mbappe and a bunch of players who all think they are above listening to a coach. "Can you track back occasionally guys? No? OK."

Either way, this is his second season with PSG. Lets see how he gets on.

Ole is in his 3rd season and has been backed massively and hasn't improved us in any areas apart from personnel.

Whilst i agree about Ronaldo there isnt a manager in world football who could stop him doing that imo.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Potter would have been my shout but i didnt want to drop him in here lmao. I actually think Arsenal should be looking at Potter to replace Arsenal. Well that was until he became the new Wenger after a single game.

Whilst i agree about Ronaldo there isnt a manager in world football who could stop him doing that imo.

Maybe Ole has told him to cut it out after that incident but i wouldn't have thought the likes of Klopp, Pep, Conte etc would put up with that.

Poch would be a gamble, Potter would be a gamble on a whole different level.

When was Ronaldo coaching from the sidelines?

He did it during one of our recent games we were losing. I can't remember who it was against.

At the moment I would happily take a gamble over the rank mediocrity that Ole is delivering. At least there would be some "what if" about us. Something different. Its been painfully clear for about 2.5 years that Ole isn't up to snuff and lacks the ability to implement a system or style in the team and he also isn't capable or willing to bring in the coaches to do it for him.

Thats the worst part of this. In the past its been frustrating but ultimately we didn't have the manager or the team. Now we have a cracking squad and its going to be squandered limping along with Ole.

At the end of the season we could realistically lose Cavani, Pogba, Ronaldo and have a Sancho with 0 confidence and the likes of Fernandes wondering if the grass is greener elsewhere.

Soldato
Not to mention Ole has beaten Tuchel multiple times with a far weaker team. Pretty good for a manager who is apparently multiple tiers below him.

When there's a shortage of rose tinted glasses, can you sell some of the ones you've been hoarding to me, please?

Couldn't care less what Ole's head to head stats are like, it literally has no bearing on his ability compared to other managers. Are you saying Ole compares to Pep because he happens to have a very good record against him? Beating Man City a few times a season is a moot point when you can equally lose to Sheffield United on another day.

I mean, have you watched any of the last three games against West Ham, Young Boys and Villa? We look rudderless and Ole can't exactly hide behind rebuilding a squad because on paper, we're up there with City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the majority of areas.

It speaks volumes he insists on playing a defensive pairing of McTominay and Fred at home, against Aston Villa, yet still concedes a goal. Which is even more embarrassing when you factor in our back four consists of Maguire, Varane, Shaw and Wan-Bissaka. Not exactly a terrible back four, with AWB the only obvious weak point due to his positional play. Yes, we lost two to injury during the game but so far in the league we've kept one clean sheet in 6 games.

Our league position flatters us, we haven't exactly had a hard start to the season and majority of our goals for came against a poor Newcastle team and a Leeds team that might as well play with a rush goalie they're so open.

Genuine question - do you see us winning anything under Ole? I don't.

Caporegime
Couldn't care less what Ole's head to head stats are like, it literally has no bearing on his ability compared to other managers. Are you saying Ole compares to Pep because he happens to have a very good record against him? Beating Man City a few times a season is a moot point when you can equally lose to Sheffield United on another day.
Show me this manager that doesn't do this? City have lost to small teams several times. Klopp just drew to Brentford.

I mean, have you watched any of the last three games against West Ham, Young Boys and Villa? We look rudderless and Ole can't exactly hide behind rebuilding a squad because on paper, we're up there with City, Liverpool and Chelsea in the majority of areas.

I've been away for a week, I saw the YB game. Only one of those results is really poor. Nobody gives a **** about the League Cup and we rotated an entire team, I'm happy to just get out of that and have less games. YB result was unfortunate but teams that get an early red card nearly always lose, especially in the CL.

It speaks volumes he insists on playing a defensive pairing of McTominay and Fred at home, against Aston Villa, yet still concedes a goal. Which is even more embarrassing when you factor in our back four consists of Maguire, Varane, Shaw and Wan-Bissaka. Not exactly a terrible back four, with AWB the only obvious weak point due to his positional play. Yes, we lost two to injury during the game but so far in the league we've kept one clean sheet in 6 games.

We've been defensively good so far, we've conceded 5 goals in the league, two of them were huge deflections and one was a worldie from that Leeds guy.

Our league position flatters us, we haven't exactly had a hard start to the season and majority of our goals for came against a poor Newcastle team and a Leeds team that might as well play with a rush goalie they're so open.

Genuine question - do you see us winning anything under Ole? I don't.

We've had our best start to a season in two decades or something crazy, we're 1pt off the leaders. People are being ridiculously over the top. I'm not convinced we'll win anything this season with Ole, but I'm not convinced there is anyone else out there who we'd win anything with. The names people are mentioning are honestly complete shots in the dark that could end up being way worse and we're no more likely to win anything with.

Soldato
Show me this manager that doesn't do this? City have lost to small teams several times. Klopp just drew to Brentford.

No manager wins every game, obviously, and beating teams who are the underdog isn't guaranteed. That Brentford game was largely in part to their keeper having a fantastic game. I wouldn't mind so much if we were playing well and you have one of those games where the keeper keeps everything out, or you're denied by the woodwork but we've looked devoid of ideas and end up having a ridiculous number of shots with the vast majority off target.

I've been away for a week, I saw the YB game. Only one of those results is really poor. Nobody gives a **** about the League Cup and we rotated an entire team, I'm happy to just get out of that and have less games. YB result was unfortunate but teams that get an early red card nearly always lose, especially in the CL.

Not to a team of Young Boys quality though. They were dumped out of the quarters of last year's Europa League, the year before they failed to get out of the group stages despite their group consisting of Rangers, Porto and Feyenoord. Hardly the creme de le creme of European football.

We've been defensively good so far, we've conceded 5 goals in the league, two of them were huge deflections and one was a worldie from that Leeds guy.

We've had our best start to a season in two decades or something crazy, we're 1pt off the leaders. People are being ridiculously over the top. I'm not convinced we'll win anything this season with Ole, but I'm not convinced there is anyone else out there who we'd win anything with. The names people are mentioning are honestly complete shots in the dark that could end up being way worse and we're no more likely to win anything with.

If we're not going to win anything under Ole after the backing he has had, then what is the aim? To be a Spurs, Everton, Arsenal, Leicester, West Ham who's success is measured by if we qualify for Europe or not? This is a manager with Ronaldo, Sancho, Cavani, Pogba, Fernandes and Verane in his squad. Plus he can call on Rashford (when fit), Greenwood and Van De Beek who whilst I wouldn't put in the company of the former list of players, are of decent enough ability.

We've hardly played anyone of note though have we? With the exception of West Ham, we've played mid to bottom table teams from last season and we're lucky that Moyes made a ridiculous decision to bring on Noble to take and miss their penalty. The position flatters us and we won't be top 4 this season if our performances on the pitch are anything to go by.

Let's see where we are at Christmas shall we?

Caporegime
Yeah you're right we were only playing Young Boys. Elite manager Tuchel would have done much better in that position...

Oh wait they got thrashed by West Brom last season in similar circumstances.

Don
Yea, I think Tuchel would have done much better. Pointing to the fact that Chelsea lost a match under Tuchel as some kind of evidence that he wouldn't have is a pretty weak argument. Literally every manager has lost a game against a weaker side, including Pep, Klopp and all the great managers of years gone by. I assume you don't think none of them couldn't have done any better than Ole?

I think Ole's pretty useless and when he's eventually sacked by Utd (hopefully not too soon), not only can't I see him ever managing a top side again, I don't even think another PL side would go near him.

Some people will point to his 'success' in getting Utd back on track and into the CL in back to back seasons but give me a £900m squad and I'd be confident of doing that too, especially since Spurs and Arsenal have been useless for the past few seasons. Just like Ole, I wouldn't need to have a clue because when you're going into 90% of games with a far better squad than the opposition, that alone will be enough more often than not. Unfortunately for Utd, 'more often than not' isn't going to be enough to win a League title when you're competing with 3 potential 90+ point teams. And as Ole has shown, even against inferior sides, you're likely to come up short in Cup competitions too, particularly in the latter stages when the quality of side gets better and have a decent manager.

Thankfully, from a Liverpool supporters point of view, Utd seemingly don't want to make a change unless they absolutely have to and the state of the League right now (the decline of Spurs & Arsenal meaning there's little threat to the top 4) means that it's very difficult to see things going so bad that Utd are forced into a change anytime soon.

Caporegime
Yea, I think Tuchel would have done much better. Pointing to the fact that Chelsea lost a match under Tuchel as some kind of evidence that he wouldn't have is a pretty weak argument. Literally every manager has lost a game against a weaker side, including Pep, Klopp and all the great managers of years gone by. I assume you don't think none of them couldn't have done any better than Ole?

You've missed the point. I'm talking about teams that get early red cards rarely ever winning. No I don't think Tuchel would have done any better than Ole against YB. In similar circumstances against a weaker team they got absolutely thrashed. We only lost because of one stupid individual error at the very end.

Back
Top Bottom