WhatsApp Down?

Soldato
All fun and games until all the other websites start dropping off... OcUK will keep going for a few days, with everyone posting theories about what's happened and complaining about not being able to play any games because steam's down, and spreading news from different parts of the country since all the news sites are down and the TV broadcasters have been offline since their timing servers dropped offline. And then, like that, it's gone. No more Internet.

North Korea's Internet will remain unaffected and suddenly becomes the most advanced computer network in the world.

Soldato
I don't get the people who hate social media platforms? Don't use it if you don't want to?

This must be the longest downtime Facebook had for a long time! I know all too well how things like that happen and I feel sorry for network engineers, DevOps and SREs on call right now :D the pressure must be insane.

Soldato
And thats why devs earn as much as a surgeon
Only the ones that work with "you build it you own it principle"

I've worked in places where Devs dump anything together, fail to test it and push it to production only for it to blow up at 3am while they're all asleep and poor SREs etc get called out to debug their broken code. I've worked with people who literally refuse to look at their code until you point them at the line that is breaking things. So yeah, totally depends on the company and their way if working. If they build it and they own it the quality of work increases massively as they'll be the ones up at 3am trying to debug their code.

Man of Honour
That would be hilarious if IT couldn't get into the building to fix an outage.

The only way would be vpn, ilo, vsphere... console and open the doors that way (the software had an override) and we had a reception area where we could plug in the right side of all the security doors.

Soldato
I've worked in places where Devs dump anything together, fail to test it and push it to production only for it to blow up
Most likely preceded by a discussion with management which went something like this:
"Can you make something to do X,Y and Z?"
"Yes, but it'll cost £xxxxxx, we could make something which will do X and Y but won't work with Z for £xxxx"
"Lets go for the cheap option"
"Ok, here you go"
"WHY DOESNT THIS WORK WITH Z?! THE USERS ARE TRYING TO DO Z AND IT HAS BLOWN UP!!!!"

Man of Honour
Domain as in internal active directory or external domain?

If your domain relies on dns entries in your domain records, which to be honest it shouldn't but if it does :D, ours also had a 4g backup thing you could connect to to override the system.

Soldato
Most likely preceded by a discussion with management which went something like this:
"Can you make something to do X,Y and Z?"
"Yes, but it'll cost £xxxxxx, we could make something which will do X and Y but won't work with Z for £xxxx"
"Lets go for the cheap option"
"Ok, here you go"
"WHY DOESNT THIS WORK WITH Z?! THE USERS ARE TRYING TO DO Z AND IT HAS BLOWN UP!!!!"

I think we must work at the same company :D

Back
Top Bottom