WhatsApp Down?

Soldato
I'm more interested to find out if it was an actual cyber attack or just some outage.

Who would be capable of taking all this down for such a prolonged period?

Soldato
Makes you realise how easily somebody could take out a large chunk of the internet. If a serious group of cyber criminals managed to infiltrate Facebook, Google, Amazon and Microsoft the whole internet would be gone pretty much

Soldato
Makes you realise how easily somebody could take out a large chunk of the internet. If a serious group of cyber criminals managed to infiltrate Facebook, Google, Amazon and Microsoft the whole internet would be gone pretty much
Nobody tell this man about the transatlantic cables that can be freely accessed and cut by anyone with the gear :eek:

Soldato
I can't remember it, or even knew about it but Google says Facebook was down in 2019 for over 24hrs, is this thing now in any way comparable?
I haven't been asked to go and collect a load of ***** my wife has found on marketplace for about 12 hours so we've almost beat the record.

Soldato
I'm more interested to find out if it was an actual cyber attack or just some outage.

Who would be capable of taking all this down for such a prolonged period?

Last year I spent some time working in a soc with a team of people from the police cyber crimes unit. It was an eye opener for sure.

Government sponsored teams who are multi millionaires basically. Very, very clever people.

Social sites have been hacked plenty of times before.

They are more interested in the data rather than taking them offline though.

Facebook has that many layers of redundancy it's very difficult to be taken offline.

Soldato
That would do it too, but would be a lot more difficult than planting rogue employees into those companies
It'd take some doing. Theoretically these places implement ITIL and a change of any meaningful proportions would have to go through several layers of governance which will adopt good practice w.r.t segregation of duties etc.

Otherwise someone would have 'format c:' a core banking system decades ago.

Soldato
Someone working on it shared some info —

This is a global outage for all FB-related services/infra (source: I'm currently on the recovery/investigation team).

Update 1440 UTC:

As many of you know, DNS for FB services has been affected and this is likely a symptom of the actual issue, and that's that BGP peering with Facebook peering routers has gone down, very likely due to a configuration change that went into effect shortly before the outages happened (started roughly 1540 UTC).

There are people now trying to gain access to the peering routers to implement fixes, but the people with physical access is separate from the people with knowledge of how to actually authenticate to the systems and people who know what to actually do, so there is now a logistical challenge with getting all that knowledge unified.

Part of this is also due to lower staffing in data centers due to pandemic measures.

Back
Top Bottom