Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Transmission breaker
Don
Look at it this way.

If someone threatens my home or my life, I can take reasonable action/force to prevent it.

The earth is my home. Endless governments have simply paid lip service to climate change. Put simply they are more interested in the next election than making hard choices. Climate change is somebody else's problem.

They are threatening people's homes and lives. People have a right to take action.

Isn't it largely China's problem though? I mean, I can insulate my home as much as I would like china will keep on pumping out far more damage than we can offset here!

Should we not be focussing on decreasing the reliance on fossil fuels in the UK, and on a sustainable nuclear future? The most crazy thing about the energy landscape is that nuclear power can solve it almost completely in the next 20 years, and significantly reduce the requirement for burning more fossil fuels in our part of the world. Not to mention reducing the needless (countless) deaths in the coal and gas industries.

Caporegime
Isn't it largely China's problem though? I mean, I can insulate my home as much as I would like china will keep on pumping out far more damage than we can offset here!

Should we not be focussing on decreasing the reliance on fossil fuels in the UK, and on a sustainable nuclear future? The most crazy thing about the energy landscape is that nuclear power can solve it almost completely in the next 20 years, and significantly reduce the requirement for burning more fossil fuels in our part of the world. Not to mention reducing the needless (countless) deaths in the coal and gas industries.

The problem is we can't pressure other (larger) contributors to be better when per capita we're worse than them. Don't get me wrong, of the developed countries the UK is actually pretty good. However we still have a tremendous way to go.

Soldato
China is doing something about it though, while still being a large polluter mainly down to being the worlds manufacturer it's also the country investing more than anyone else into green energy. $83 Billion in 2019 compared to the US $55 Bn and our $5 Bn

Soldato
China needs to spend a lot more because they have a much bigger problem to fix.

They also have a problem with factories using banned chemicals and authorities turning a blind eye. A lot of that money is likely ending up in someones bank account.

Soldato
Where else can they do it? If it isn't disruptive nobody listens..

Outside downing Street, Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace etc.

What they're doing at the moment is having the opposite effect and turning the public against them.

As others have highlighted its almost laughable when you compare the uks footprint to that of China

Permabanned
Indeed, the government has forced this action by largely ignoring implementing any climate change strategies that will be effective in achieving their rhetoric.

Good God, now the forum's special constable is condoning blocking major roads with illegal blockades... What next, condoning bank robberies because people can't afford what they desire and the government won't listen?

The best thing these "revolutionaries" can do is keep their pants zipped up and stop procreating, and meanwhile do some useful work. Sitting down in the road is easy, let's see them do some graft to further their so called cause, you wouldn't see them for dust.

Soldato
As others have highlighted its almost laughable when you compare the uks footprint to that of China

*But China.....* is not an argument against us doing a lot more in the UK. In a few decades China will be so far ahead of the west it is unbelievable really, the amount of investment they have going into renewables is incredible. Its not just about Co2 anyway, the UK has trashed its natural environment better than almost any other country on Earth, we could be doing so much more to reverse that trend.

Caporegime
*But China.....* is not an argument against us doing a lot more in the UK. In a few decades China will be so far ahead of the west it is unbelievable really, the amount of investment they have going into renewables is incredible. Its not just about Co2 anyway, the UK has trashed its natural environment better than almost any other country on Earth, we could be doing so much more to reverse that trend.

Hasn't China trashed its natural environment as well by damming every major river they can find several times over and the ecosystem has been ruined? Hydro electricity has its own problems as well.

I don't want to be all Ying Yang but saving the rainforests and ecosystem to keep balance is far more important than say electric cars.

Permabanned
Just sad people with nothing to live for and utterly desperate for attention.

Seen it all before. Elderly folk being being carried away by police all the while smiling from ear to ear.

Such a pathetic and selfish attitude just to feel alive in an effort to stave off their death rattle.

Soldato
The problem is that they are now disrupting the public so much that their message is being lost. But what is happening is that stricter laws on protesting are being written up and the public are lapping it up.

Slowly losing our rights but cheering it on.

Soldato
Actually is very relevant. We have lying, cheating self interested pompus ***** running the place.

I'm sure a lot of really bad decisions were made by people who believed themselves to be morally righteous good people, and who others thought the same of, it's not necessarily relevant to a leadership position. I'm not sure why having 3 or 6 kids makes someone all the things you listed though.

Man of Honour
Good God, now the forum's special constable is condoning blocking major roads with illegal blockades... What next, condoning bank robberies because people can't afford what they desire and the government won't listen?

The best thing these "revolutionaries" can do is keep their pants zipped up and stop procreating, and meanwhile do some useful work. Sitting down in the road is easy, let's see them do some graft to further their so called cause, you wouldn't see them for dust.

:rolleyes:

Firstly, I'm not talking on behalf of the police, I can have my own opinions. Secondly, the police have a positive duty to facilitate lawful protest, and the Supreme Court has ruled that disrupting traffic, depending on the facts of the case can be a lawful expression of protest - which is why the Government has needed injunctions. You may not like it, but that doesn't make them the violent criminals you make them out to be.

Whether it's the best thing to do or not, the obvious point is that protests such as these won't be stopping anytime soon, indeed they're likely to increase in frequency and change tactics to stay in the news and in people's minds.

Caporegime
Would it be lawful protest if a group of protesters blocked hospital entrances/exits or key roads close to them? would police intervene or just stand and watch as ambulances were unable to get to and from emergencies in order to protect their right to protest?

I agree that the new laws are worrisome and will likely be abused (against for example lockdown protests) but when you have people such as these who are targeting ordinary people and seem to have no regard for their fellow citizens there needs to be a bit of common sense shown in preventing them from doing what they're doing. If no common sense if forthcoming from the police then what choice do the government have?

They are just a bunch of unscrupulous troublemakers masquerading as protesters.

Caporegime
Indeed, the government has forced this action by largely ignoring implementing any climate change strategies that will be effective in achieving their rhetoric.

That's pretty naive tbh... You might note we're currently having issues with UK wholesale gas prices right now for example. We're one of the biggest adopters of renewable energy* but unfortunately, wind power hasn't been performing too well recently. We've also dramatically reduced our reliance on coal, we're due to completely remove the need for coal by 2024.

We're going to have a complete ban here on the sale of petrol and diesel cars in less than 10 years' time.

What do you think Boris' main aim was in recent talks with Biden? He was trying to get the US to increase its contribution to a climate fund to help fund poorer countries cut emissions. The UK is literally hosting COP26 at the end of this month and Boris is hoping to have hit a target of 100 billion per year for this fund by then.

The UK is very much on track to hit its carbon targets and eventually reach net-zero,

These activists aren't principled people - the spokesperson on ITV's Good Morning Britain completely fluffed his entire interview, didn't prepare answers for obvious questions, got very angry, couldn't answer whether he'sThis is below the national average for England and Wales and means the properties will likely have little insulation insulated his own home even and stormed off in a huff:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-22...tester-on-why-he-hasnt-insulated-his-own-home

Turns out another one is a apparently millionaire landlord who hasn't insulated his own homes even!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/23/m25-...roperty-empire-with-poor-insulation-15303995/

DTPAySW.jpg

A climate protester who claimed to be a bricklayer when he blocked the M25 four times is reportedly the owner of a million-pound property empire.

[...]
But Smith has now been called a ‘hippy-crite’ after The Sun claimed to reveal he is the heir to several properties worth £2million and allegedly sits on a £1million portfolio himself.

According to the newspaper, Smith’s firm in Oldham has at least six homes with E or F energy efficiency ratings.

This is below the national average for England and Wales and means the properties will likely have little insulation.

So he's got a 7 figure property portfolio which he seemingly hasn't bothered to insulate but he's happy to hold up a load of working people because somethign something the government.

The government hasn't forced this at all, these aren't serious people, they're just virtue signallers (or LARPers perhaps :D ) they'd be doing this for some green cause or other regardless of what the government had achieved in terms of climate targets. It's mostly a narcissistic thing so they can pose and post about it on social media and show what good caring people they are to their similarly naive peers etc..

*(We're currently 6th globally in terms of % of energy from renewables)

Back
Top Bottom