VR Headset bought and returned but not refunded because money charged back on my card

Soldato
I am not sure why this is in this section of the forum, It has nothing to do with VR? You might get more helpful responses if you asked a mod to move it to General or some other more relevant section. The only people that are going to see it here are the people interested in VR.

EDIT: you want to change your title too. You were refunded, they just took the money back when they didn't receive your Quest 2.

Underboss
Ok something thing doesn't add up here, you said you returned it 4 months ago and got the Refund after 3 days. Now you are saying they refunded the money two months ago? Which is it?

Either way, I am just double checking, you did get the refund before you sent back the Quest 2?

Are you deliberately misunderstanding just because you are mad at Amazon or what? They aren't stealing and you did give them permission. When you do an RMA with Amazon and take the option to get a refund before you send the item back, you are giving them permission to charge your bank/card if you don't send back the item. As I said, the email that they send out states this pretty clearly. They give you 30 days to send the item back, if they don't get it back, they charge you.

You don't seem to get that Amazon hasn't received the Quest 2 back, you sent it, they didn't get it. That's why they charged your card. This isn't personal from Amazon. They aren't trying to scam you. Seriously, do you really think a multi billion dollar company is annoyed at you for a £350 refund?

As others have said throughout this thread. Your photos aren't proof of anything. You could have easily taking the photos, then put something else in the box. Amazon can only go by the box they got referenced to that tracking number.

Somebody else asked already, but, would you know from the outside of the Box that there was a Quest 2 inside it? Did you tell the the person at the Hermes drop off point that there was a Quest 2 in the box?

I would be willing to bet all my money that somebody at Hermes, whether intentionally or accidently, switched the labels on the boxes, and somehow your label ended up on a box of home decorations. That's why, if I was you, I would be going after Hermes, they are the ones that messed up.

Don't bother with trying to go the Small claims court against Amazon for stress. You have no case. It would a futile exercise and a complete waste of your time and money. And just end up with you been even more stressed.

Your only hope of getting anything is going after Hermes. And even then, the best you can hope for is getting your Money back.

agree

Also, are you positive you could only send back with Hermes? normally there's another "other" part that you can actually go to . to select royal mail, I've done it several times, as i would never use Hermes again

Man of Honour
agree

Also, are you positive you could only send back with Hermes? normally there's another "other" part that you can actually go to . to select royal mail, I've done it several times, as i would never use Hermes again
The returns options available can vary depending on the item, I had to return something recently and the only option was UPS or pay and get refunded but the max refund wouldn't have covered postage/insurance

Permabanned
OP
I returned the item with Amazon's only required and forced postage choice.

So even if what some people have said were true like, Labels were swapped, amazon staff stole it, amazon staff swapped labels etc..

That's not my concern, I sent the item back in line with Distance Selling Regulations and I am entitled to my refund. I don't care if they claim to have recieved chicken legs on bbq sauce.

Man of Honour
I returned the item with Amazon's only required and forced postage choice.

So even if what some people have said were true like, Labels were swapped, amazon staff stole it, amazon staff swapped labels etc..

That's not my concern, I sent the item back in line with Distance Selling Regulations and I am entitled to my refund. I don't care if they claim to have recieved chicken legs on bbq sauce.
DSR hasn't existed for a few years now, it's now the Consumer Contract Regulations and IIRC unless you specifically state you're cancelling your order then it's just a normal return and not covered under CCR.

Soldato
In fairness to OP. This is what happened to me with another high cost item. Got refund 3 days. Then got charged 3 months later. But I just called them complained told them the Hermes number and got instantly refunded.

They just told me they would be doing an internal investigation and that's the end of it.

Permabanned
OP
In fairness to OP. This is what happened to me with another high cost item. Got refund 3 days. Then got charged 3 months later. But I just called them complained told them the Hermes number and got instantly refunded.

They just told me they would be doing an internal investigation and that's the end of it.

Hi, let me try this, but I feel I'm getting no where.

I have changed the Thread title, but can't move it to general.

Hermes was the only postage option and Amazon even generated the QR code for the postage so I see it as they are together in the returns process and should communicate with each other on this rather than just bill the customer despite complaint.

I will tally up the exact cost of items that they said they recieved and it was a substantially heavier order than a Quest 2. It would weigh like 20kg plus.

Haggisman, I agree, why would I not just send back a brick if I was sending back a wrong item to scam , instead they claim they recieved an assortment of decorating items. They refuse even to investigate and have just charged my card with £350 despite me saying that I sent it back. How can I get then to see that it was incorrect?

Soldato
Threaten them with a chargeback and see what happens.

Write an email to [email protected] explaining the situation in detail. And say how upset, angry and stressed you are about this. However, don't accuse them of scamming, been thieves etc. Emailing Jeff has worked for some people.

And also keep pressure on Hermes. You gotta keep chasing them down.

But, you have to be patient too, you might not getting anything back for ages. You might not get anything back at all.

Permabanned
OP
Threaten them with a chargeback and see what happens.

Write an email to [email protected] explaining the situation in detail. And say how upset, angry and stressed you are about this. However, don't accuse them of scamming, been thieves etc. Emailing Jeff has worked for some people.

And also keep pressure on Hermes. You gotta keep chasing them down.

But, you have to be patient too, you might not getting anything back for ages. You might not get anything back at all.

Ok let me do this. With Hermes, it's impossible to speak to a Human as the 8digit code does not work , so I can't get to speak to Hermes at all.

Permabanned
OP
Is there a Hermes depot nearby you could visit in person?

No, there are corner shops that process the Hermes returns but surprisingly no post office like buildings.

They appear not to have a phone number with an actual human too. A rotten system.

Parcel force is just as bad but you can talk to someone, posted an item for £20 postage and they said because its past 2.30pm collection time the parcel will get there on Tuesday lol

Permabanned
OP
Apparently, I'm reading that Amazon is not covered on section 75?

It appears that I have recieved my £350 back :) . What's strange is that I cancelled my card, but yet the refund came back on my account. Thanks for all the help!!!

I hope they don't debit my card again because I don't trust them anymore and doubt I will ever make a big purchase with them again. I had spent a lot of money with them this year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently, I'm reading that Amazon is not covered on section 75?

It appears that I have recieved my £350 back :) . What's strange is that I cancelled my card, but yet the refund came back on my account. Thanks for all the help!!!

I hope they don't debit my card again because I don't trust them anymore and doubt I will ever make a big purchase with them again. I had spent a lot of money with them this year.

So what do you think triggered the refund? Who did you get in contact with on amazons side to resolve?

Or do you think they finally located your headset and issued the refund?

Permabanned
OP
phew !!

so you got your money back and the money back for the return?

Looks like it, still don't know how they refunded it to the cancelled card. And I'm hoping they don't steal the money again. Might have been the constant emails, calls, negative ratings and warning of court action.

So what do you think triggered the refund? Who did you get in contact with on amazons side to resolve?

Or do you think they finally located your headset and issued the refund?

I don't know as I would have expected them to email me confirming this. I guess Amazon just decided to return my stolen money. They are a law unto themselves. I found that they are exempt from credit card protection UK laws because they are using a loop hole. Never again, will I purchase anything costly on there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like it, still don't know how they refunded it to the cancelled card. And I'm hoping they don't steal the money again.

I don't know as I would have expected them to email me confirming this. I guess Amazon just decided to return my stolen money. They are a law unto themselves. I found that they are exempt from credit card protection UK laws because they are using a loop hole. Never again, will I purchase anything costly on there.
The lack of s75 cover only applies if you're buying from a market place seller as you're not paying them directly. Should still apply if you're buying direct from amazon.

Permabanned
OP
The lack of s75 cover only applies if you're buying from a market place seller as you're not paying them directly. Should still apply if you're buying direct from amazon.

I read that the banks claim Amazon.EU.s.a.r.l is not a UK company and is off shore and exempt from section 75. Amazon has got it all covered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom