The Great Resignation

Soldato
This is incredible, what sort of background do you need? I work in healthcare as a pharmacist, would I need a computer science degree or any other experience?
It's a sales role so experience in sales is a bonus but not required. We generally hire based on character/coachability so a lot is just on your ability to work hard, break down complex subjects and be incredibly determined/willing to learn.

We've hired recruiters, professional athletes, academics, all sorts.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Do it man. Big money, safe environment, decent hours.
Code:
            IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.

PROGRAM-ID. VARS.

DATA DIVISION.

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.

01 GROUP-VAR.
                05 SUBVAR-1 PIC A(3) VALUE 'MAYBE'.
                05 SUBVAR-2 PIC X(1) VALUE SPACE.
                05 SUBVAR-3 PIC A(1) VALUE 'I'.
                05 SUBVAR-4 PIC X(1) VALUE SPACE.
                05 SUBVAR-5 PIC A(4) VALUE 'WILL'.  

PROCEDURE DIVISION.
             DISPLAY "Do it man. Big money, safe environment, decent hours. ":GROUP-VAR.
              STOP RUN.

Soldato
I work in healthcare as a pharmacist

I'm a dispenser and we're struggling for locum pharmacists. Basically my employer has spent years underpaying locums and running the pharmacy with the absolute minimum staffing. And now the locums are just going elsewhere for more money and less stress where they're not expected to open and close on their own.

Permabanned
I still don't get it. Lots of factories/warehouses where I live, most of which have increased their salaries as they're all crying out for manpower. I've actually ditched my office job and gone back to that line of work because the pay is now considerably higher. Taken on two jobs too :p

Still check the adverts occasionally. Just seen a forklift driver job going for £15.14 p/h!

Soldato
I still don't get it. Lots of factories/warehouses where I live, most of which have increased their salaries as they're all crying out for manpower. I've actually ditched my office job and gone back to that line of work because the pay is now considerably higher. Taken on two jobs too :p

Still check the adverts occasionally. Just seen a forklift driver job going for £15.14 p/h!

I don't blame you, take the opportunity while you still can before the market becomes saturated again they start paying crap wages again.

On other note, got a new job with an 20% pay increase. Time to prepare my resignation letter for HR.

Soldato
Another factor in this is that SOME employers/managers treated people with respect and consideration around the Pandemic; ensure the workers were equipped to work from home etc etc. Those workplaces generally seem to have had less retention issues.

Other employers absolutely took the **** during the Pandemic, only doing the bare minimum when they had to (even if they could afford to do considerably more), leaving staff feeling stressed, undervalued, and very concerned about their health, especially when in some cases it mean outbreaks at work (sometimes more than once), and multiple people sick, some with long term COVID after-effects, for no other reason than arrogance, some managers making stupid decisions, and some companies treating the entire thing like a joke, or trying to do the least they could get away with, despite the mounting evidence otherwise.

It's no surprise that when there were unfortunately a SIGNIFICANT number of Column B companies, that those companies are now getting a significant turnover and it was going to have a significant impact long term; even if they were too short sighted to see it at the time, now that the job market is opening back up again.
People will take many things in tandem for a pay check; but being undervalued, and being made to feel like your company doesn't care if you or your family's health are being risked by their inadequate, inconsiderate decisions and policies does very, VERY bad things for staff retention and loyalty.

I was lucky during the pandemic, and my direct manager and management have been reasonable about the vast majority of things; other people I know have had much worse experiences.

I am not looking forward to the return to the commute (2-3 hours every day), but at the same time, I will gladly return knowing my company at least has some decency and values us and our health, to at least some degree; especially compared to how others I know have been treated, some of them after getting very sick from COVID, and STILL being treated like basic, common sense requests weren't worth their companies' times.

To say I am unsurprised there is a massive wave of resignations in this country and elsewhere around the world right now, would be an understatement.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'd take a £30k bump tbh. Being loyal to a company gets you nowhere and 10 years is a perfect amount of time to move on to a new challenge.

Agreed.

Its money what pays the bills not loyalty.

That's not true, though, is it?

You can also choose your own mission and vision.

For example, are you going to work for the green future in the renewables sector, or are you going to support the fossil fuels coal, oil or natural gas for more money?

Greed can have very bad consequences on the society.

Soldato

You can also choose your own mission and vision.

For example, are you going to work for the green future in the renewables sector, or are you going to support the fossil fuels coal, oil or natural gas for more money?

Greed can have very bad consequences on the society.

Of course its true.

Unless you are running your own company, you are just a number. Another clog in the engine, once you go, someone else will always be there to take your place. But the main thing is to know your own value and self worth. Never be scared to pack your bags and move to another job if you can get a better deal else where. As the company you are leaving will continue with or without you.

Soldato
No..

You just speculate on that. Because it may be true or may not be true.

Have you left a company and its collapsed because you left or are you one of those people who only had one job and always worked there since leaving the education system? (that's not an insult BTW :) )

Steve Jobs passed away and Apple continues to do well without him. Tim Cook was dropped right in his place, Apple didnt have a problem trying to replace Jobs after he died.

Caporegime
If you were to die today, how long do you think it would take your company to consider replacing you? Or to give your work to your colleagues? A week? At most half that. It should be remembered you work to be paid and provide a service, your time, your intelligence and your service. A job should be a two way street, many employers forget that.

Permabanned
you work to be paid and provide a service, your time, your intelligence and your service

:cry:

But if you don't work, you won't live because you won't have money. Or will have amount for a miserable existence.

I am highly skeptical about the idea of pursuing the money instead of what makes you feel good and what your real place is.

I mean you have value for a certain type of work, and not another one which steals you from your true mission.

Money doesn't buy happiness and what I understand now is that more money doesn't make your life better, because you always adjust your expenses according to your income and the end result is the same - you either save or don't save, probably don't save because you know how much you have, and spend faster than what you receive...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

:cry:

But if you don't work, you won't live because you won't have money. Or will have amount for a miserable existence.

I am highly skeptical about the idea of pursuing the money instead of what makes you feel good and what your real place is.

I mean you have value for a certain type of work, and not another one which steals you from your true mission.

Money doesn't buy happiness and what I understand now is that more money doesn't make your life better, because you always adjust your expenses according to your income and the end result is the same - you either save or don't save, probably don't save because you know how much you have, and spend faster than what you receive...
You are the one spinning that agenda, no one said that money is better than doing a job that makes you feel good.

I’d take more money for the same role at another company every single time. Why? Because I’ve seen loyal people with 20+ years service get made redundant when businesses change direction.

What you have to remember is; contracts work both ways. You can give your notice and leave without warning g (leaving them scrambling to fill your role) just as quickly as they can make your role redundant if they want you gone.

Permabanned
I have had several job positions and all of them have been unique. They don't repeat.

Except if you go to a competitor, maybe, and even then there is too much risk - different culture, different colleagues, different other conditions, etc...

Permabanned

It's true. I worked for my families' company for a few years, and even they totally abused my loyalty.

I look back now, earning double money for less stress, and think - what a pair of scumbags.

Edit - Oh yeah, company before them sacked me after 18 years service :p

Soldato
The thing is with pushing for full time working from home you're effectively saying your job can be done from anywhere in the world, inc countries with lower rates of pay.

Surely it won't take long for employers to cotton onto this?

If that was truly the case, then they would just pack up offices and move to countries with low pay, regardless of whether they have staff WFH or not. Being in an office doesn't suddenly prove that you're valuable and needed to the company.

And as others have said, a variety of other reasons why that'll be very unlikely to happen.

Soldato
Has there been a serious drop in population? or immigration? or a sudden shift in more people retiring?

The news over the last couple of months has had articles covering various sectors in industry that are seeing a real struggle in workers. We're hearing of 100k shortage in HGV drivers, a 100k shortage in care-workers, shortages in doctors/nurses, teaching, hospitality, etc.. the list goes on.

I know there's been a drop in immigration (i guess mainly EU workers), and you're hearing of a lot more people now taking up retirement, are these numbers just being woefully under-reported?

It just seems bizarre that there's this sudden plummet in the size of the workforce.

I could see this having consequential damages to higher education - a lot of industries will be promoting apprenticeships (in the tech industry we're starting to promote software development apprenticeships) and various on-the-job training with pretty much a guaranteed job at the end with good rates of pay. I could certainly see the appeal for a 16 year old who's got to make a choice of being saddled with a 50-60k debt which is likely to grow to 100k with interest by the time it's paid off, versus being paid to train/learn on the job - and may even have your employer pay for the degree.

Soldato
Has there been a serious drop in population? or immigration? or a sudden shift in more people retiring?

The news over the last couple of months has had articles covering various sectors in industry that are seeing a real struggle in workers. We're hearing of 100k shortage in HGV drivers, a 100k shortage in care-workers, shortages in doctors/nurses, teaching, hospitality, etc.. the list goes on.

I know there's been a drop in immigration (i guess mainly EU workers), and you're hearing of a lot more people now taking up retirement, are these numbers just being woefully under-reported?

It just seems bizarre that there's this sudden plummet in the size of the workforce.

I could see this having consequential damages to higher education - a lot of industries will be promoting apprenticeships (in the tech industry we're starting to promote software development apprenticeships) and various on-the-job training with pretty much a guaranteed job at the end with good rates of pay. I could certainly see the appeal for a 16 year old who's got to make a choice of being saddled with a 50-60k debt which is likely to grow to 100k with interest by the time it's paid off, versus being paid to train/learn on the job - and may even have your employer pay for the degree.

Mainly due to reduction in immigration and people retiring.

Certain sectors had been abused for years by employers with crap pay, stress, longer hours, stupid employment requirements to do a basic job because their attitude was "Well someone will always do the job" But many of them were filled by the Boomer Generation/Job for life believers. Now they are retiring, some dying before retiring or being made redundant and unable to retrain. Its leaving a big gap, more of the younger generation are moving into STEM fields with better pay, less stress, more flexibility. Doctors and Nurses get trained in the UK then move to another country, they refuse to work for the NHS because of better working conditions abroad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom