The Great Resignation

Soldato
I've thought about it myself (changing jobs entirely) and i worked all the way throughout the pandemic so i never stopped.

Definitely noticed an increase in people leaving where i work ATM, Also noticed quite a lot of new jobs pop up in my area (mainly retail, With it been just normal workers, Or a supervisory/Management level.
i think people just generally had enough of been unappreciated, Work crappy hours and been paid terribly for the work they do and its not just a case of getting on with it anymore, they've literally had enough, Especially when those who still work there are expected to pick up and gain additional work from those that leave.

defiantly think the whole pandemic situation and WFH has opened peoples eyes.

Soldato
Seriously considering leaving my role now - employer has been great to me and fantastic benefits, but pretty confident I could get a 30k bump if I move now - and no matter what the benefits are 30k is a significant amount (we had a baby a couple of months ago so got a whole world of expense ahead!)

Will be sad to leave as been at current place since 2012 (longest I've stayed anywhere!)

Soldato
I listened to an podcast about people turning to work and its always upper management fighting to get everyone back into the office. Reason was, if everyone is working from home then who are they going to manage!?!?! When they spend most of their time in meetings and looking over peoples shoulder to see if they are working or not. Therefore many manager roles are at risk or being cut.
I think this is just highlighting bad managers.

A manager should be that one to set vision, direction and ensure the people in their team have all they need to execute, and remove anything that stops them from achieving what they need. The problem is, a vast proportion of managers do not act like that. They are order givers and spend their time making sure things are as they want them.

Soldato
That’s definitely strange. Amazon are an office centric company and quite openly so. There are situations where the tech company are just waiting while things settle down but the shift I’ve seen recently has been to go back towards office working. However as mentioned the great resignation is much bigger than this.

I work for another big software company and we've just spent the last 12 months / lots of money converting all offices into hot-desking so majority of the workforce will work from home at least 3/4 days a week, with the office being for collaboration meetings etc rather than for working in. Certain roles are needed to be on site to manage the infrastructure, but generally the majority won't have a need to be on site.

With the time and money spent changing to this pattern, this isn't going to be a short-term "thing" for us, and will likely only get looked at again in 5-10 years if it's decided that things aren't working so well.

Interestingly though, we're not seeing a mass of resignations though. It's a biggish department so the odd one or two people resigning each month is about the norm. We are having a lot of new starters though, probably a good 10 or so a month for the last few months.

Caporegime
Seriously considering leaving my role now - employer has been great to me and fantastic benefits, but pretty confident I could get a 30k bump if I move now - and no matter what the benefits are 30k is a significant amount (we had a baby a couple of months ago so got a whole world of expense ahead!)

Will be sad to leave as been at current place since 2012 (longest I've stayed anywhere!)

Depending on current earnings that seems like an absolute no brainer. A 30k bump is ridiculous for anyone below 6 figures.

Interestingly though, we're not seeing a mass of resignations though.

Probably because your employer is adapting and allowing most staff to work from home for most of their week.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd take a £30k bump tbh. Being loyal to a company gets you nowhere and 10 years is a perfect amount of time to move on to a new challenge.

Soldato
OP
I work for another big software company and we've just spent the last 12 months / lots of money converting all offices into hot-desking so majority of the workforce will work from home at least 3/4 days a week, with the office being for collaboration meetings etc rather than for working in. Certain roles are needed to be on site to manage the infrastructure, but generally the majority won't have a need to be on site.

With the time and money spent changing to this pattern, this isn't going to be a short-term "thing" for us, and will likely only get looked at again in 5-10 years if it's decided that things aren't working so well.

Interestingly though, we're not seeing a mass of resignations though. It's a biggish department so the odd one or two people resigning each month is about the norm. We are having a lot of new starters though, probably a good 10 or so a month for the last few months.
We’re not seeing the turnover in our London office. However we are keeping things flexible. We have a mix of fixed desks for those that want to spend more time in the office and we are currently easing people back in if they want to with flexible hot desks. Generally it’s going well with around 60% of people back which considering we were already very flexible prepandemic is pretty good as we were lucky to have 50% in the office on most days.

Soldato
Our place was already moving to more wfh but now have moved to basically saying you have to spend half your time in the office. If someone had said to me two years ago, you can go from 1 day a week from home, to 2/3, I would have bitten their arm off. Now though I can't help but think that things have changed since we have all proven we can work 100% from home.

I was not expecting any such forced time amount in the office per say. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the thought now of going back to the London commute as mine is pretty long. On the days I travel it will be 3 hours a day I will now spend on trains, tube, walking. I'd sooner work an extra 2 hours from home and not travel frankly. It's not just the massive cost of train travel into London, it's just the experience of it. Tiring and a waste of my time.

The variety is good, getting out of the house, but when I arrive at the office I am finding that people are so used to doing things virtually anyway - since people all now come in on different days so are spread out - that meetings still happen on Teams and therefore it's just a headset fest throughout the whole office floor. This makes most people avoid approaching others to talk since headphones tend to be kept on all the time. This means more noise as people talk loudly whilst on calls. I honestly just get less done in the office due to other distractions, a less comfortable and technically sufficient work area and equipment (my home screens and desk setup is better). I'm trying to honestly think of an advantage of going to the office, and the only one really is the banter (when it even happens) and collaborating face to face or in a room (also rare and becoming less of a thing since it's hard to organise everyone being in on the same day).

I would have been happier if they had said, you come in when it theoretically makes sense to do so or when you want to. Not; "you must spend X amount of time in the office".

I will have to consider my future here but I'm not about to resign!

Associate
Seeing this wholesale in healthcare. Lots of colleagues moving out of acute roles, retiring or cutting hours to avoid the winter stress. It just snowballs, as people leave those remaining are under more pressure. Not sure where it will end.

Healthcare wasn't looking good before, more downfall is not going to help. Some big payrises would be a quick and easy short term fix, but even that isn't happening. Many of the GPs can do one though.

I'm of opposite opinion of the others. Approach current employer and ask for flexy time or less hours on same salary, then if that doesn't work out, move. Family time is #1, no stress is #2, pay is #3 imo.

Man of Honour
its always upper management fighting to get everyone back into the office. Reason was, if everyone is working from home then who are they going to manage!?!?! When they spend most of their time in meetings and looking over peoples shoulder to see if they are working or not. Therefore many manager roles are at risk or being cut.
Presumably they would manage the same people as they manage in the office? The vast majority of management can be performed well remotely & remote working applies to all, not just non-managers. Besides, upper management are generally not 'looking over peoples shoulder', they are busy working on more important stuff, and/or in meetings as you said.

Associate
I run a company that has always been 100% remote, but I am facing the same issue. There are more remote jobs so they are all leaving and joining glamourous companies. My edge has gone!

I'm not really fighting it right now, just letting it play out. I'm not going to compete against the big boys and fancy a change myself. I'll just need another edge.

Soldato
Presumably they would manage the same people as they manage in the office? The vast majority of management can be performed well remotely & remote working applies to all, not just non-managers. Besides, upper management are generally not 'looking over peoples shoulder', they are busy working on more important stuff, and/or in meetings as you said.

Their words from the podcast I was listening to, not mine.

You don't need to be physically looking over peoples shoulder. But being micro-managed is just as bad.

Man of Honour
Sure, but if upper management are really doing micromanagement, then I don't see why their staff being remote changes much. They can still micromanage remotely.

Soldato
The thing is with pushing for full time working from home you're effectively saying your job can be done from anywhere in the world, inc countries with lower rates of pay.

Surely it won't take long for employers to cotton onto this?

Soldato
The thing is with pushing for full time working from home you're effectively saying your job can be done from anywhere in the world, inc countries with lower rates of pay.

Depends if the company values saving money vs keeping customers.

Plenty of companies moved services overseas to bring them back again when they noticed customer service was dropping.

Soldato

I think Goldman Sachs came up with this statement to ensure their real estate investments didn't tank.

Associate

Exactly this - If you fancy keeping your job etc then be wary of too much home working and make time in the office count. Its a lot easier to offshore a remote team to Hungary especially if you don't even need to tell them in person!

Back
Top Bottom