New Star Trek series - 2017

Associate
The latest trailer for S4 showed a Ferengi. Or, at least, the STD showrunners' idea of what a Ferengi looks like rather than how they've been shown up until now.

xcnZYka.png

Again, amusingly, Lower Decks managed to show Ferengi that looked like the makeup from TNG/DS9/VOY. Still, guess we should be glad that STD didn't go quite as far as it did with the Klingon makeup.

Trailer:

Still looks remarkably awful. Wonder what will be behind the galaxy-ending anomaly this time? A hungry puppy, maybe?

I don't think there has been a date announced yet has there?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's kind of like when someone announces they are about to take a dump.

Yeah, but at least that tangentially relates to something that's a biological necessity. Making STD was wholly unnecessary, making STD this rubbish even more so.

That being said - I re-watched "An Obol For Charon" from season 2 the other day. At least, I re-watched the actually watchable bits and skipped the 'Saru and Burnham have Emotional Scenes™ together' crapola. And I stand by previous comments - it's one of the better Star Trek stories that STD has managed so far, it's one of the better STD stories as well, and it's therefore wildly amusing to me how it's an episode that really isn't rated too highly by STD fandom :p

I mean...the scene on the bridge after the sphere has blown the universal translator to Narnia and the crew can no longer understand each other is brilliant. Saru snarking about how no-one but him bothered to learn other languages even more so. The way the mystery about the sphere builds to the realisation that it has an intelligence. Yeah, there's some crap too - both of the B-plots should have been jettisoned, really. Or at least used up on an episode with a less good A-plot. But it's an episode that got perilously close to actually working.

Boy, wouldn't it be great if the rest of the series could reach as high...

Something else has just made itself known to me.

Star Trek Prodigy. Looks like more cartoon stuff. I don't understand why this exists. They are really trying to milk this. All they need to do is make something worth watching and not just throw as much **** as you can and hope some of it will stick on something.

Soldato
Something else has just made itself known to me.

Star Trek Prodigy. Looks like more cartoon stuff. I don't understand why this exists. They are really trying to milk this. All they need to do is make something worth watching and not just throw as much **** as you can and hope some of it will stick on something.
It's literally a kids cartoon. Nickelodeon is airing it. Prodigy is not for us

Also the other animated show Lower Decks is probably the most respectful to Canon of any recent show. It's also been very very good.

Last edited:
Soldato
Prodigy isn't for us as above its been set as a kids show from the get go.

I've enjoyed discovery for what it is, I look at it like a b-movie trek but with tons of lens flare.

That being said my first trek was Voyager and I loved that thought it was brilliant and still is, some say thats where it started to go wrong

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Only got the part by chance, the original actress was very "meh" and didn't really have any airs of authority about her.

No-one on set thought Genevieve Bujold (originally cast as Captain Nicole Janeway) would last a week. In the end, she did two days of shooting on the show before walking off - she wasn't up to dealing with a TV production schedule, she wasn't onboard with how the directors wanted her to emote or how they wanted the character portrayed (more on that in a minute*). Her leaving caused several problems:
  1. They shot a few scenes that didn't require the captain but production was down for two weeks in the end.
  2. Re-casting Janeway. They found Kate Mulgrew, shot a few scenes with her before realising that the studio lighting wasn't working with her hair colour or style which necessitated that God-awful bun she wears it in for the first part of the series.
  3. Robert Beltran (Chakotay) only really took the job to work with Bujold, and was not a happy camper for the entire run of Voyager. And boy didn't it show at times.
* - so yeah, the whole 'character X is portrayed like this' deal was a bit of a problem throughout Voyager's run. It pretty much ended the Ron Moore-Brannon Braga writing partnership when Moore came over to Voyager after DS9 wrapped. He asked how a character should be written and was told "we don't know, do whatever" :eek: And this wasn't exactly early on in the life of the series! They later patched things up, but at the time it was a big point of contention between the two.

Back
Top Bottom