Reducing a computers EMI improves picture quality of attached monitors.

Soldato
OP
And I am not surprised if the dead and resurrected maplin is selling an analogue audio cable which isn't great.

I was testing against a Maplin's Premium cable, that is probably better than some of the cheap 'free' RCA cables.

The reason the Van Damme Silver performs better is it's just a very good cable, it's designed for session recording, the low noise is due to the braided shielding. Apparently Eric Clapton uses these cables from his electric guitar.

Your fine to run basic 'free' cables and pay no attention to power conditioning, you're missing out getting the best from your audio and visual equipment.

Soldato
Well that that filter is pretty effective. The one blocking out every time I mention the easy and simple test of demonstrating you're not imagining things regarding the power cable (not the diversion of analogue audio cable), using equipment you already have and a fact point you've given.

I reckon if it gets up to 10 mentions we should be able to say you can't bring yourself to admit there's no audible difference in the video you stated there was a clear sound difference from swapping power cables.

Soldato
OP
I'm still of exactly same view that the Russ Andrews power cables and / or Tacima filters improve both audio and picture quality where used, you'll never change my view as i'm seeing the benefits myself when testing. Before you continue to disagree consider you have never tried these things yourself.

This differences are more on audio than visual. If people were standing in a room, I could change cables and in less then 10 minuets show you the effects where you would never question these things again. I've come to understand that mains quality is far more important to audio and visual then I ever realised.

Doesn't work that way.
Twisting only minimizes how much that part of the wiring sends and receives EMI.
It doesn't filter EMI which has been already induced into wires.

I contacted RA about this, and according to them above is wrong.

"Yes, the benefit of the woven design and why it’s utilized across pretty much everything we do, is its ability to reject RFI already around us. This is because the weave doesn’t represent a known antenna pattern. Secondly, the crisscross nature of the live/neutral wires in a mains cable for example, has a natural cancellation process of high frequency signals already picked up on the mains supply"

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you a very bad cable salesman? In both senses.

I'm still of exactly the same view that you've not demonstrated anything.

Come to that, your favoured audio suppliers have not demonstrated anything either. EVER.

Why is the burden of proof on other people to demonstrate what you or the cable makers are implying. To be crystal clear this is that the sound (or picture) is improved in a meaningful way.

You've been dodging a blind test made from the material you presented like I'm offering you a dead rat. The companies you fawn over would eat that rat rather than answer specific questions with specific answers as to the benefit of what they have done.

Vaguely mumbling about electronic science as if the audience is mentally deficient and the matter is religiously inexplicable is a disgrace.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you a very bad cable salesman? In both senses.

I'm still of exactly the same view that you've not demonstrated anything.

Come to that, your favoured audio suppliers have not demonstrated anything either. EVER.

Why is the burden of proof on other people to demonstrate what you or the cable makers are implying.

You've been dodging a blind test made from the material you presented like I'm offering you a dead rat. The companies you fawn over would eat that rat rather than answer specific questions with specific answers as to the benefit of what they have done.

Vaguely mumbling about electronic science as if the audience is mentally deficient and the matter is religiously inexplicable is a disgrace.

You've never tried these things, and you don't know what your talking about.

Listen to this pod cast from Direct of Power / Engineering at AudioQuest on how electrical noise effects a DAC, the same issues in mains also effect visual quality.

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko/w...cal-noise-and-why-is-it-bad-for-audio-systems

If we were both standing in same room, I could convince you in 10 minutes by swapping cables. But you don't want to believe so you learn nothing and stay ignorant.

Soldato
You've never tried these things, and you don't know what your talking about.

Listen to this pod cast from Direct of Power / Engineering at AudioQuest on how electrical noise effects a DAC, the same issues in mains also effect visual quality.

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko/w...cal-noise-and-why-is-it-bad-for-audio-systems

If we were both standing in same room, I could convince you in 10 minutes by swapping cables. But you don't want to believe so you learn nothing and stay ignorant.

You don't need to be in the same room as me to listen to the blind test you said was audibly different due to power cables.

Why is listening to the material YOU provided but with the clues removed a monumentally difficult challenge? You could really rub it in my face that you can hear the audio difference of power cables being swapped. Doesn't that sound attractive?

Your word is worth nothing when you ignore such an easy challenge to your claims but demand that other people buy cables to try out what you won't prove.

Comments are disabled for this track.

Of course they are.

Why would a cable salesman want to be challenged on matters of fact when he sells using belief.

Soldato
OP
demand that other people buy cables to try out what you won't prove.

You can't demo correctly over the internet, you need to be in the room. Exactly same applies to any other piece of audio gear.

I'm not demanding people purchase cables, I have suggested people willing to try buy Russ Andrews cables pre-owned from eBay, then re-sell them if they don't like them. All my RA power cables are pre-owned.

The problem is people who have never tried arguing with someone who has tried.

Soldato
??????

You have your speakers. You have the audio tracks where you said you could discern the power cable difference. Get on with it and be the only example on the internet of an "audiophile" accepting a blind test of their beliefs.

Let me once again mention this is audio material YOU specified as audibly different not something weird I chose to screw with you.

Soldato
Hotwire did you listen to the Audio Quest pod cast I posted?

Do you think Audio Quest is wrong in what's said?

We should do something else while you dodge the easily performed blind test using the material you provided and the hardware you have proven you have?

Sure. Lets discuss why the Audioquest engineer is happy to spend 30 minutes scaremongering about interference with no attempt to describe this as a measurable audio effect. Making statements on interference is "academical" to borrow a word from his speech. Far worse is the dishonest attempt to present them as meaningful but refusing to demonstrate it.

Let me be very clear that these companies fully understand that making a measurable audio claim will destroy them. An unpaid member of the public supporting this is far more ridiculous than an employed scam artist saying it.

Now lets remind ourselves what audioquest sells again.

Digital HDMI cables https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/hdmi-8k-10k

Remember you brought up Linus? He's been testing HDMI cables: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFbJD6RE4EY

Amazing that a youtuber can get off his ass and demonstrate HDMI cable quality but an audiophile cable company would rather choke on dead rats than prove their value in a way a 3rd party could repeat and confirm.

Forgot, a key reason Linus is mentioned is https://youtu.be/XFbJD6RE4EY?t=536 where Audioquest is specifically brought up.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still of exactly same view that the Russ Andrews power cables and / or Tacima filters improve both audio and picture quality where used, you'll never change my view as i'm seeing the benefits myself when testing.

Nice thread bump. Gotta keep this nonsense at the top of the list eh?

At the beginning of this thread you asserted that plugging your computer into a mains filter affected the image on your monitors. In other words, that mains noise was affecting the digital outputs from your GPU. If that were actually the case, then your PC would be regularly crashing as all the other digital processing that led up to the output from the GPU would also be affected.

Your computer's power supply should have multiple filtering stages in it so that it produces clean direct current at the required voltages with minimal ripple. If mains noise is making past that and affecting the processing of your PC, you should replace the PSU before it causes further damage.

Soldato
OP
VersionMonkey,

I can demonstrate these things to anyone standing in same room.

If you listen to the Audio Quest pod cast he explains that even a PSU can't remove all interference entering from the mains. He then goes to say how interference eventually reaches something that's analogue that I suspect what's happening.

The only nonsense thing is people who have never tried, arguing with someone who has tried.

And the reason the thread got bumped, is Est claimed a twisted pair cable could not remove interference that was already in the mains supply. I contacted Russ Andrews about this, and they confirm that it can. It's my reply to Est that bumped the thread again.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only nonsense thing is people who have never tried, arguing with someone who has tried.

Get over yourself. You have presented nothing and demand purchases from others as an argument.

The company you have faith in is legendary for never presenting their working, instead relying on the mumbo jumbo of generic scaremongering about interference from mains power to satellites(?!) without any clarity of what interference their product works for.

Meanwhile your word is worth absolutely nothing. What are we at, 12 times I've asked you to demonstrate you can hear the power cable being swapped in audio material YOU presented and you've been hiding like a little kid from even acknowledging I said it.

But you have the amazing cheek to continue to demand purchases?

Soldato
Is it an unreasonable request to double check your claims which can be double checked?

You have your speakers, you have your ears. You have the audio clips you specified as different when the power cables were swapped. The guy obnoxiously informing you which cables were being swapped was removed.

Was that guy telling you what to think essential to your listening experience.

Soldato
OP
To help everyone understand more I've produced a diagram now of my office setup... :)

Now be honest when have you ever seen an office setup wired like this , Elon Musk's he's a genius but I bet he's not got his office wired like this.. :cry:

AM-JKLVBGOYZcXKVCOq_WnGZyAgHsT1nECk1o1YefD7vSBd7g4JYU2-eNzHmBTsWtgBgKJ0j_t7gg1XmppUqgwJ-ZfWuSb76y7xGKattQusfxEFfGKtGT9UVa4KmnHs_w_NV585Yow6_80t8_XuMJRnBeUHD=w1039-h599-no

At least see the funny side, if everyone was the same where would we be ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I contacted RA about this, and according to them above is wrong.

"Yes, the benefit of the woven design and why it’s utilized across pretty much everything we do, is its ability to reject RFI already around us. This is because the weave doesn’t represent a known antenna pattern. Secondly, the crisscross nature of the live/neutral wires in a mains cable for example, has a natural cancellation process of high frequency signals already picked up on the mains supply"
In alternate facts news: Trump says he isn't liar and racist.

That's BS.
Twisting of wire pairs doesn't filter already induced EMI, but prevents further EMI. (+lowers external EM field of current going in wire)
That's why twisting is used in all modern data cabling as one way to protect high frequency digital signals.
Which contain lots of far higher than nominal frequency components as part of their squarish wave signal.
Hence twisting can't be good filter for higher frequencies!

If you want to reduce EMI already present in wires you use ferrite, which is regularly seen in data cables, and/or low pass filters made using capacitors and coils.
All good power supplies use many of these things.
And for switching mode PSUs it's twice as important, because they would otherwise send EMI into power line breaking EMC requirements.

Back
Top Bottom