Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Don
There’s definitely the potential for sabotage, some of the more militant union members will have taken a dim view of her not walking with them. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

At the end of the day though she will have been responsible for verifying each gun was safe for what it was being used for.

Soldato
I don't though, perhaps you're easily triggered by it. It's simply an opinion/speculation.

Oh but you do. If there is a thread with anything that can be linked with woke you'll be posting in it. You even managed to bring it in to the death of someone in the film industry in a terrible accident. Do you think she died because they hired someone not qualified because they were a trans black he/she gay/lesbian who identified as an inanimate object?? I mean I don't have s shred of evidence of it but you wouldn't surprised.

Caporegime
The armourer was female (Hannah Gutierrez-Reed), according to many outlets. The guy you're talking about sounds like the assistant director (Dave Halls), he was apparently the person who handed Baldwin the firearm.

Ah thanks, that clarifies it.

Oh but you do. If there is a thread with anything that can be linked with woke you'll be posting in it.

That's a different claim... you previously claimed I bring it into everything which is clearly untrue and just some projection/hyperbole on your part.

You even managed to bring it in to the death of someone in the film industry in a terrible accident. Do you think she died because they hired someone not qualified because they were a trans black he/she gay/lesbian who identified as an inanimate object?? I mean I don't have s shred of evidence of it but you wouldn't surprised.

There you go with the hyperbole again... who mentioned anything about trans, black etc..? Do you think this was a highly competent person hired for their extensive experience? Sounds like they were both inexperienced and incompetent here. Of course, Hollywood is known for being super conservative, especially Alec Baldwin, so being a bit woke isn't something that could possibly be a factor here and merely mentioning it has got you replying to object twice now.

note I offered two suggestions in the post but you only objected to one of them:

Hmm - cutting corners with non-union people? Diversity hire?

I'd have assumed most of these armourer roles would be ex-military men etc..

I'll throw in another possibility into the mix too after reading the below - good old fashioned nepotism:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/23/rust-armorer-was-new-to-job-and-worried-she-wasnt-ready-15473662/
Audio has been revealed of her speaking on a podcast last month in which she discussed working on The Old Way, which was her first time as head armorer on a film set.
[...]
She continued: ‘He took me from being completely green and taught me everything I know so far and by all means, I am still learning.

‘Dad has taught me everything but a lot of things I just kind of caught on by myself through observation, watching him do things or just knowing how the firearms work.

‘I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like “oh I don’t know anything about it.”

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh but you do. If there is a thread with anything that can be linked with woke you'll be posting in it. You even managed to bring it in to the death of someone in the film industry in a terrible accident. Do you think she died because they hired someone not qualified because they were a trans black he/she gay/lesbian who identified as an inanimate object?? I mean I don't have s shred of evidence of it but you wouldn't surprised.
I don't get all this talk about woke, inexperience, not qualified, diversity hire and all the other nonsense like trans black he/she gay/lesbian, where is that coming from? None of that remotely applies here. Where is all that silly stuff coming from? Why would anyone even suggest she isn't qualified given who she is? Given who trained her and her past history its clear she had the job because she was a good choice for the job.

Man of Honour
likewise there is some muddled reporting re: a live round and whether they're talking about an actual live round or if that's just a reference to some movie set terminology re: blanks too.

Latest information seems to suggest that Ms Hutchins was shot in the chest and Mr Souza who was standing behind her was hit in the shoulder - either a weapon with some amount of spread or some serious debris ejected or a through and through - which would tend to indicate towards a proper bullet or a proper load on a shotgun or black powder weapon being fired.

Permabanned
I'll be honest and admit my black sense of humour had me chortling at this news clip "The director of Rust, Joel Souza, was also injured in the incident and taken to hospital. He has since been discharged."

Caporegime
Why would anyone even suggest she isn't qualified given who she is? Given who trained her and her past history its clear she had the job because she was a good choice for the job.

It's more competence and experience in question no? Aside from the fact that she's only just demonstrated she's incompetent she's 24 and literally suggested it herself on a podcast a month ago re: that same role on another production:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/23/rust-armorer-was-new-to-job-and-worried-she-wasnt-ready-15473662/
Audio has been revealed of her speaking on a podcast last month in which she discussed working on The Old Way, which was her first time as head armorer on a film set.
[..]
‘It was also my first time being head armorer as well. You know, I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready, but, doing it, like, it went really smoothly.’
[...]
She continued: ‘He took me from being completely green and taught me everything I know so far and by all means, I am still learning.

‘Dad has taught me everything but a lot of things I just kind of caught on by myself through observation, watching him do things or just knowing how the firearms work.

‘I think loading blanks was the scariest thing to me because I was like “oh I don’t know anything about it.”

Latest information seems to suggest that Ms Hutchins was shot in the chest and Mr Souza who was standing behind her was hit in the shoulder - either a weapon with some amount of spread or some serious debris ejected or a through and through - which would tend to indicate towards a proper bullet or a proper load on a shotgun or black powder weapon being fired.

It would be pretty shocking if there were actual live rounds and she's just left those three firearms lying around.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't have thought a prop gun could have shot a real bullet.

Someone really messed up.

You get all sorts of guns on movie sets through from a variety of mock-up rubber/lightweight ones used for stunts, so called hero models which are usually high detail non-firing variants for close up shots and then fully functional firearms for blanks (it is difficult to fully reproduce the effect of a real gun firing with CGI) sometimes they will have blank firing attachments of varying types but not always. Then you'll get for some shots live ammo used - in theory that is supposed to be filmed separately and with a hard isolation between the regular props and the fully live weapons.

The talk coming out so far seems to suggest a failure to adhere to proper procedures from start to finish with this production.

Caporegime
Nor should a gun ever be pointed at someone. I though gun safety was always assume the gun is loaded?

Taking that into account why where they be standing in the line of fire when the scene was done?

How does that work when you are trying to make a realistic movie. The idea of John Wick having the gun pointed at his toes throughout the whole movie doesn't exactly look good IMO

Soldato
How does that work when you are trying to make a realistic movie. The idea of John Wick having the gun pointed at his toes throughout the whole movie doesn't exactly look good IMO

Unless its literally at someone's head close up how often do you actually see where a gun in any film is aiming?

Soldato
It's more competence and experience in question no? Aside from the fact that she's only just demonstrated she's incompetent she's 24 and literally suggested it herself on a podcast a month ago re: that same role on another production:

It would be pretty shocking if there were actual live rounds and she's just left those three firearms lying around.
How the **** has someone got a job involving guns when they aren't comfortable being around said weapon? Truly boggles the mind

Soldato
I don't get all this talk about woke, inexperience, not qualified, diversity hire and all the other nonsense like trans black he/she gay/lesbian, where is that coming from? None of that remotely applies here. Where is all that silly stuff coming from? Why would anyone even suggest she isn't qualified given who she is? Given who trained her and her past history its clear she had the job because she was a good choice for the job.

I think you've missed the meaning of my post. There is a group of posters on here who are slightly obsessed with "woke/wokeism" and can drag it in to just about any post. I'm not suggestion any of what you've quoted there.

Back
Top Bottom